2018 NBA Draft Thread

CWood21

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

I am ok with people having different opinions as well. Some things arent debatable though. I just dont see what the hate is on Bagley. Like some people are actually saying the Kings had a bad draft because they took Bagley over who? The last thing I want to the Kings to do is get too cute. We can debate if Jackson Jr., Carter Jr., or Bamba will be better long term than Bagley. Again I dont think the Kings taking Bagley is bad because he wont bust. He is a cant miss prospect and regardless of how anyone feels about him, the Kings didnt get this pick wrong because years from now they wont regret it. Bagley is a 20/10 guy and the Kings wont have to worry about his work ethic. Having him paired with Fox is going to be fun. 

He may be fun, but those stats are empty. He doesn't defend, he doesn't pass well, he's an iso-ball four who provides a ton of energy and demands the ball. The kid was obsessed with going as high as possible and is obsessed with putting up huge numbers. I didn't have him in my top ten. He doesn't play winning basketball.

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

I have a feeling that Dinwiddie has already been traded and a trade has yet to be announced.

I say this because of Sean Marks' latest interview saying that he's "here for now" coupled with his most recent Tweet.

ORL makes sense 

42 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Looks like you don't know anything about basketball either homie.

it's best when you express an opinion against the norm that ppl follow along with and then because of that you get the "you don't even watch" comment or whatever lol 

Just now, Bianconero said:

What's ORL going to do with Gordon, Isaac, and Bamba?

Gordon will be interesting to monitor this off-season

play isaac at the 3. he did good there last year inbetween ankle rolls.

you never know, but from the sounds of things they're gonna match whatever he gets. 

17 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

He may be fun, but those stats are empty. He doesn't defend, he doesn't pass well, he's an iso-ball four who provides a ton of energy and demands the ball. The kid was obsessed with going as high as possible and is obsessed with putting up huge numbers. I didn't have him in my top ten. He doesn't play winning basketball.

He doesnt play winning basketball? I watched games where he took over when Duke was going through the motions at times. That game against Texas or was it Florida, I forget which one but Duke was down big in the 2nd half. Bagley dominated and carried Duke to the comeback win. The only negative thing about Bagley is his lack of defense. The crazy thing is though, looking back at last year's draft, the reason why Tatum fell to 3 was because people focused more on the holes in his game rather than what he did best. Like Tatum serious shoudve went 1st overall but the only thing people said was, all he does is score. He doesnt play defense. Well if it wasnt for Tatum, the Celtics wouldnt have had a shot to even beat Cleveland. He was the only bright spot for them in Game 7. I said the same thing about Tatum last year as I am saying about Bagley.

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...they're expected to miss and you're going to give credit because they hit with a pick you have a higher success rate?  As we've both mentioned, the success rate goes down as you move down the draft.  Teams who can consistently find talent later in the draft are going to get more credit to their FO for evaluating talent moreso than a team whose hitting with consistent top 10 picks.  I'm not saying they shouldn't get credit for them, but the argument that you can justify the Celtics' evaluation process because of picks made in the top 10, while ignoring that their success in the latter half of the first round is mind boggling.  It's even more head scratching that you're willing to give Robert Williams the benefit of the doubt, and have no way to compare him to say Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, or Marcus Smart, all of whom were exponentially better prospects.

No.  Jaylen Brown was largely viewed as a top 5 prospect.  Some thought he might have fallen to 7 or so, based on preferences.  But the majority of the evaluations had him firmly in the top 5 prospects of the draft, most of which were third.  There were questions about his jump shot, which was why he wasn't viewed in a higher light.  Teams who thought that the jump shot wasn't going to be an issue was going to have him closer to 3, where as teams thought it was broken was going to have him closer to 7.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jaylen-Brown-72912/mock-draft-history/

I didn’t see what you originally said. I was replying to Bianconero or whatever it is. I wasn’t even talking about Robert Williams. It seemed like you weren’t gonna give them credit for their hits in the top ten but if you are then I don’t know what you are even talking to me about. I’d agree their late first round drafting has been average. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

He doesnt play winning basketball? I watched games where he took over when Duke was going through the motions at times. That game against Texas or was it Florida, I forget which one but Duke was down big in the 2nd half. Bagley dominated and carried Duke to the comeback win. The only negative thing about Bagley is his lack of defense. The crazy thing is though, looking back at last year's draft, the reason why Tatum fell to 3 was because people focused more on the holes in his game rather than what he did best. Like Tatum serious shoudve went 1st overall but the only thing people said was, all he does is score. He doesnt play defense. Well if it wasnt for Tatum, the Celtics wouldnt have had a shot to even beat Cleveland. He was the only bright spot for them in Game 7. I said the same thing about Tatum last year as I am saying about Bagley.

That and he doesn't pass at all and he's obsessed with his scoring and rebounding numbers. Intensity doesn't always mean willing basketball. He can be incredibly intense and work incredibly hard on offense, yet he still doesn't pass at all. I fully expect him to put up 20/10 this year. I also expect the kings to not be much better because of it.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Nuggets were gonna pick Zhaire at 14 if MPJ wasn't there. Apparently they tried to get 15, 16, or 17 to still get Zhaire. Were gonna give up a protected 1st next year, a couple 2nds, and a young player apparently. 

on this same topic of hypotheticals.. ORL was for sure taking trae at 6 if that ATL/DAL deal didn't go down according to woj. 

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

That and he doesn't pass at all and he's obsessed with his scoring and rebounding numbers. Intensity doesn't always mean willing basketball. He can be incredibly intense and work incredibly hard on offense, yet he still doesn't pass at all. I fully expect him to put up 20/10 this year. I also expect the kings to not be much better because of it.

Honestly, if he is going to give the Kings at least 20/10 every night, I could care less if he passes the ball at all. The Kings lost a great big man in Cousins. There was no real threat in the paint for the Kings. Now there is one in Bagley. Teams will have to respect the Kings in the paint which will take the pressure off of Fox and Hield. If the Kings dont win it wont be because of Bagley. Again, the Kings are still young and still trying to figure things out. Plus this is the West which could get even tougher if LeBron goes to the Lakers. Over time though I think the Kings will be better and Bagley will be part of that reason because he will be a force in the paint. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

Honestly, if he is going to give the Kings at least 20/10 every night, I could care less if he passes the ball at all. The Kings lost a great big man in Cousins. There was no real threat in the paint for the Kings. Now there is one in Bagley. Teams will have to respect the Kings in the paint which will take the pressure off of Fox and Hield. If the Kings dont win it wont be because of Bagley. Again, the Kings are still young and still trying to figure things out. Plus this is the West which could get even tougher if LeBron goes to the Lakers. Over time though I think the Kings will be better and Bagley will be part of that reason because he will be a force in the paint. 

It will be because of Bagley. He doesn't play winning basketball, but he's incredibly entertaining. If that's your priority, then that's fine. But if the goal is a championship, Bagley doesn't help the cause.

3 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

It will be because of Bagley. He doesn't play winning basketball, but he's incredibly entertaining. If that's your priority, then that's fine. But if the goal is a championship, Bagley doesn't help the cause.

I keep hearing about how Bagley doesn't play "winning basketball", what does that even mean?

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I keep hearing about how Bagley doesn't play "winning basketball", what does that even mean?

Doesn't pass well or play within the scheme of an offense. Can be a ball stopper. Defensively, takes chances on blocks and steals that he shouldn't. Often gets him caught out of position and missing rotations. Generally, that's what I mean when I say that.

Archived