Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

With respect... this is the weakest I can remember Denver's offense looking in awhile. 

The QB group is shaky. I see Keenum returning to earth. The RBs are a ho hum bunch. Booker/Freeman are a couple of Pac 12 plodders. TE, really hope Butt returns to UM form but man that's a lackluster group. 

RT looks vulnerable unless Veldheer found the fountain of youth.

WRs look promising with Sutton and Hamilton both of who I liked.

Just doesn't look like the type offense I'm used to seeing with Denver. Defense may need to be all time for them to compete. 

With respect ... your team is coached by Jon Gruden, the most over-rated coach in NFL history who was hired because he was a big name and the mullet needed buzz to sell tickets in Vegas. 

That being said, I don't terribly disagree with your assessment of our offense. I think the group will be improved over what we've seen the last two years (how could it be worse?) but I don't exactly see a repeat of 2013. As I said, I am not convinced that Keenum is more than JAG, we have the youngest RB stable in the league, no proven TE, though I do think Jake Butt will have a Health MIller-like career, and questions at RT. 

Defensively we're going to be a top-10 group, even without Talib, and we still have a doofus of a head coach. 

I see an 8-8ish season, hope I'm wrong, but I do see improvement over last year's embarrassment. 

22 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Did you just wake up after being in a 3 year coma?

We’ve been bad longer than that! This will be the 10th season since the McStake and aside from Manning’s first three seasons we have been bottom third in the league in points scored and bottom ten in offensive DVOA, every [censored] year! Hell our Super Bowl year (the worst offense to ever win a Super Bowl) serves as the high point!

BPs concerns are valid however. This team is very unproven, but on paper has talent and potential. We will see if the “leader of men” can get the most out of them 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:46 AM, Royal_VT said:

Without Josh McDaniels running this franchise into the ground, we don't get Von Miller in the 2011 draft. I know that is a really weird way of looking at it, but we don't win the Super Bowl if that doesn't happen.

We don't see you enough around here. Anyway, very good and interesting take.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, big_palooka said:

Menelik Watson is a G now? Man that guy sucks. I had high hopes for him originally.

I don't see him making the 53 bud. He's just really bad. Never really seemed to learn in the NFL.  Bad technique, bad hands, non existent shuffle....................He's just really bad, he won't make it. 

Good news though. For the 1st time in a few years we've actually picked our starting five and won't be rotating guards. Gee, what a novel idea. Personally, I think our OL will be the shocker no one expects. keep Keenums pants clean and open lots of holes in the running game. By the end of the year, barring injury, I believe our OL will be a top 10 unit. As they go, so goes our offense. 

My largest concern with this team was defense. I believe we've added the personnel to fill the glaring gaps. If we've done that, a top 20 offense with a low TO stat gets us into serious SB discussion.

Still though, this time of year I'm a hopeless optimist. Plenty of time yet for reality to set in. 

Chat with you again in October.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, big_palooka said:

With respect... this is the weakest I can remember Denver's offense looking in awhile. 

The QB group is shaky. I see Keenum returning to earth. The RBs are a ho hum bunch. Booker/Freeman are a couple of Pac 12 plodders. TE, really hope Butt returns to UM form but man that's a lackluster group. 

RT looks vulnerable unless Veldheer found the fountain of youth.

WRs look promising with Sutton and Hamilton both of who I liked.

Just doesn't look like the type offense I'm used to seeing with Denver. Defense may need to be all time for them to compete. 

They're better than that.

TE's are iffy but there's talent there. If someone steps up it would be a great improvement.

All of our RB's can hit a hole and pass protect. Got some sleepers in there. I'm not worried about it.

Not worried about RT. If McGovern plays at RG the same as he did last year our RT's job will be a lot simpler. Paradis is healthy and with Leary next to Bolles our left side could be dominant.

Your take on our WR's is pretty good. Patrick just may make it also. One more large body WR with good hands that seems to know how to use his size. Cracraft is making a bit of noise also. Looks to me like we'll have maybe the best and deepest WR group we've had in a very long time, maybe forever

Our take on the QB's isn't close. IMO Keenum will flourish here. Understands the offense (quite a sharp kid), mobile, good decision maker, and from all evaluations very accurate. I'm guessing Kelly will supplant Lynch as #2 by the start of the season.

We'll know pretty soon though. The first 4 games will tell the tale.

Just a few notes, trying to focus on some positives.

-Freeman just looks so much more natural a runner than Booker. Both had horrible whiffs in pass pro.
-Paxton is truly one of the worst QBs I've ever seen. It's a shame that his status as a bust will go under the radar, he is worse than most of the famous first round busts people talk about.
-Scary how bad the run defense looked. Marshall looks totally washed up. Anderson is not an NFL caliber LB, but no surprise there. Peko getting moved off the ball. OLBs not setting the edge. 
-Yiadom's play was actually encouraging. Was in position every time, just on the receiving end of three outstanding throws. Seems pretty advanced mentally for a rookie. I bet he is the nickel corner at some point this year.
-Will Parks looks to have taken the next step. Looked really good all over the field. 

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Only pass I ever see lynch complete are the underneath crossing routes he's got no field vision. 

He has zero strengths as a player. Even the touted mobility, it looks like it takes a Herculean effort to get his giant body moving forward with any momentum. 

Archived