Ozzy's NFL Draft Prospect thread - (Weekly Prospect Standouts)

Ozzy

On 12/4/2017 at 6:08 PM, Ozzy said:

*Christian Wilkins JR DT Clemson:  Easy to forget just how good he is as a DL.  He could easily play DE in a 3/4 or 4/3 even, could be a great DT as well, tons of upside and is a big wide kid who is hard to get around.  Very solid athlete and would be surprised to not see him in the early part of the 1st round in the up coming draft.

Isn't he a little squatty to be playing 34 DE?

I think JK Dobbins is the next big thing at RB. That dude is exxxxplosive

22 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

What are your thoughts on Darren Carrington?

He is a good player, probably should include him as a late round prospect with his production this year.  Has been a good player for awhile just never really reached his potential I think.  Nice size and ability to go up and get the ball.  Never really has become that elite level talent yet I do not think.  Curious how well he works out, but could easily argue there are 20-25 receivers better than him, a great tough receiver prospect in Cam Phillips might be a late round pick so the competition is pretty high.  Carrington better run well because compare to him Ateman or Lazard I would take both as big body receivers over Carrington.

I did forget some other players, looking back at it now should included Gallup for sure as a mid to late round pick for sure, and maybe Darren Andrews alone with Steven Mitchell.  Not to mention maybe Marquez Valdes-Scantling or Anthony Mahoungou.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Isn't he a little squatty to be playing 34 DE?

I think JK Dobbins is the next big thing at RB. That dude is exxxxplosive

Squatty?  Since when is 6-3 or 6-4 310 squatty for a 3/4 DE?  Jonathan Allen is smaller than that and before the injury looked like a damn good 3/4 DE.  But yeah some teams like more of a Cameron Hayward type 3/4 DE but those guys are not easy to find.  Tyson Alualu is about the same size as Wilkins, not to mention Mike Daniels at 6-0 310 so if a team wants him to do that he could easily do it.  

Red Bryant a few years back for Seattle played DE for them and was a real force I thought, and Wilkins could be a rich mans version of that for a 4/3 team as well I think as well.  Tons he could potentially do and he is very versatile.    

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Squatty?  Since when is 6-3 or 6-4 310 squatty for a 3/4 DE?  Jonathan Allen is smaller than that and before the injury looked like a damn good 3/4 DE.  But yeah some teams like more of a Cameron Hayward type 3/4 DE but those guys are not easy to find.  Tyson Alualu is about the same size as Wilkins, not to mention Mike Daniels at 6-0 310 so if a team wants him to do that he could easily do it.  

Red Bryant a few years back for Seattle played DE for them and was a real force I thought, and Wilkins could be a rich mans version of that for a 4/3 team as well I think as well.  Tons he could potentially do and he is very versatile.    

Hmmm I thought he was like 6'2 having done no research.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 15 and Bowls:

*Robbie Grimsley JR SS NDSU:  Really liked what he has shown from the safety position, very smart player who is usually in good position and can defend the pass well and is still a strong active tackler.  Really promising looking safety prospect with a lot of upside, if he comes back for another year he could be one of the best SS in the nation from sure, will see how he does in the Championship game for NDSU later this year.  

*Leighton Vander Esch RS JR LB Boise State:  Was all over the field in that game, was very impressed with him earlier in the year and looked even better in this game.  Really active and smart inside linebacker who could also play strong side as well.  Athletic kid and very sound tackler who can find the football.  Really like him as a prospect and if he comes back for another year he is easily one of the best inside linebackers in the nation.  In the short bowl season so far could argue he has been one of the most impressive players, great game by him.

*Kaare Vedvik RS SR K Marshall:  I do not know a ton about him but he is a very impressive looking kicker not only as a punter but also as a field goal kicker.  Had more than a 70 yard punt this year that bounced and turned into a 90+ yard punt.  Has a really nice leg especially for kickoffs and punts.  With good workouts I could see him being a drafted kicker and at worse will get a shot as a UDFA with some team.  Really interesting talent and could be climbing up the draft boards potentially with good workouts, and supposedly he is a impressive athlete as well overall.

*Malcolm Perry SOPH RB Navy:  Played some big time football in that Army vs Navy game, was a running machine out there and showed great open field speed.  Looks actually much faster than Reynolds did on Navy a little while back, is a potential RB or WR in the NFL I think and with that kind of speed with another solid year he could be a drafted player no question.  Crazy good production as a running QB with big time ability to break plays open and make big runs, really interesting prospect for sure with that game breaking speed he has.

*Jalen Jelks RS JR DE Oregon:  Really impressive long DE, uses his hands well and got good pressure on the QB and penetration into the backfield all game long.  Able to get off blocks well which is very interesting and his length is very interesting as well.  Be curious if he comes out early as a RS JR right now, has the ability to do so but if he came back could climb up as high as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, right now is more of a mid round guy or lower will see.  

*Justice Hansen RS JR QB Arkansas State:  He is a NFL prospect at QB I think, especially if he comes back for his final season.  Pretty big and thick kid, good athlete who can move around as well if need be, not afraid to take a hit either.  Has a nice release and a strong arm as well, has had a very productive season but could improve on some parts of his game.  Is well worth a look come next year and with some more development could easily be a mid round draft pick or maybe higher.

*Ryan Yurachek SR TE Marshall:  Have liked what he has done this season, impressive pass catching TE for sure with very good athletic ability and hands.  Does not have ideal size and has more of a HB type body but kid can play and is tough.  Could be a total steal in the mid to late rounds of the draft.  Good TE for getting first downs in short yardage situations, will not always run by you but has surprising athletic ability to go up and get the ball in the air.  Solid overall TE prospect with a good final game of his career.  

*Easton Stick JR QB NDSU:  Have liked him for awhile, not a super elite prospect but is extremely sound and knows how to be a game manager really well.  Is a fine athlete, hard to deal with on the move and with his legs and scrambling to make throws down field.  Makes smart accurate throws as well, is a solid QB prospect coming into next year as a senior and with some more development as a down field passer he could be a mid round draft pick potentially or higher.  Again will be interesting to see how he does against JMU in the title game.

Dallas Goedert SR TE South Dakota State:  Was some what injured before this game and during it, still went out and played  regardless and that showed a lot.  Thought of him as a 2nd round prospect and could sneak into the 1st round but not sure he is a elite talent, and my bet is Andrews out runs him and Gesicki is a better athlete.  Overall though Goedert is a little more physical than those players and probably a better blocker overall.  Really smooth looking natural pass catching TE with good size.  Would be hard to pass up on Gesicki who is taller, longer and will probably show off a 40"+ vertical at the combine but will see.  Goedert is a solid talent for sure and has had a fine career bringing a program to prominence.  Be very interesting how he does in the pre draft workouts against better competition.

*Ja'Von Rolland-Jones SR DE/OLB Arkansas St:  Too bad he did not break the NCAA sack record in this game, a penalty took it away when he did get one.  Kid is a fine pass rusher and a really special 3/4 OLB I think with his ability to bend the edge and get pressure.  Is not great at the point of attack but does use his hands well if need be, is not a speed only guy.  Need to see some more from him and will be interesting how he does in workouts against better competition.  Right now is a solid mid round pick but could climb when people realize how good he is as a pass rusher.  

*Bruce Anderson JR RB NDSU:  Great play by him the past two weeks, showed some real game breaking speed and good versatility as a running and a pass catcher.  Interesting talent with a next gear some backs do not have.  Then again the level of competition has not been the best, will be very interesting how Anderson plays against the fine JMU defense coming up in the title game.

*Michael Gallup SR WR Colorado State:  Nice final game for him at times, did have a few mistakes though but is not surrounded by the best talent in the world.  Made some difficult catches though in traffic, has been crazy productive over the past two years and is consistent moving the chains and getting first downs.  Does not have great speed but his consistency getting open and catching the football will make him a decent mid to late round draft pick I think, especially if he runs well at the combine.

*Nick DeLuca RS SR ILB NDSU:  Sadly he does not look like the player he did before the injury.  Does still make plays but does not look as fast or as quick to the ball.  Will see how he does in the championship game, still is a smart linebacker but does indeed look like he lost some of his explosiveness with that injury.  Not as impactful as a player but might have just been these past few games.

*Jimmy Moreland JR CB JMU:  Really smooth looking cover man, had some crazy production in that game intercepting the football.  Will see how he does in that Championship game, really good looking ball skills though and one to watch for sure in the future assuming he comes back as a senior.  

*Tyshun Render SOPH DE Mid Tennessee:  Still has a ton to improve on but I liked the effort he played with in that game, played a lot bigger than he is, got good push and gave consistent effort out there.  Still really long ways to go but one to potentially watch down the road only being a sophomore right now.

Disappointed:

Justin Herbert SOPH QB Oregon - Looked like a totally different player without the running game.  Was lost out there at times, did not make good throws and was not good under pressure despite being a good athlete with a lot of size and height.  Just did not play well and did take the defense scoring two crazy defensive TDs for them to even be in the game late.  Curious how he does next year with potentially a similar not effective running game.  Most thought he would just rip up that Boise defense, that did not happen and that OL did not help either, but still kid still has work before he is anointed just yet.

Note:

Royce Freeman sitting out the bowl game I question a lot.  You play the entire year, could have gotten injured at any point in the year.  He did have a fine season, came back for his senior season as well which showed something and was not concerned about the injury then.  But to just say oh I am sitting out the bowl game and I am not injured because it is not important or what?  Finishing your college career and finishing the season with a win is not important?  To say Freeman not being on the field did not hurt the team, yeah it did hurt the team a lot actually.  Very odd thing to do but now a days few question it and it is assumed all running backs will sit out sadly.  Yes Fournette sat out the bowl game as well last year, and sure he ran an good 40 at the combine but was limited in other work, and oh guess what he still gets injured and has been injured more than once this season alone and will probably the rest of his career.  What Darnold should sit out the bowl game because he might get hurt as well, heck every top 20 pick potentially should sit out?  You play football, you get hurt and that is a risk.  If one is so desperate to not get hurt right before the draft because maybe they will not run a great 40 time and be able to work out, then maybe they are not that confident in their actual football playing ability.  If they are such a good player the 2nd contract is what matters, not the 1st one unless you think you are really not that good and will not get a strong second one or any at all.  Then again hard to say players should play though because coaches come and go without any hesitation regardless, so hard to get a sense of team and playing for each other and the University when something like that happens constantly.  Guess they are all just following what coaches do all the time and yes even the Oregon coach who recruiting Freeman to stay his senior year did the same.  Still would have been nice to see a senior finish his season playing and getting a solid bowl win compared to just oddly cheering on the sidelines while the team got crushed most of the game until late.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:55 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Hmmm I thought he was like 6'2 having done no research.

You're right. He's right around 6'2". Noted at that height by NFLDS (since he's technically an underclassmen its not official). Certainly nowhere close to 6'4" if you ask me based on watching him. 

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Note:

Royce Freeman sitting out the bowl game I question a lot.  You play the entire year, could have gotten injured at any point in the year.  He did have a fine season, came back for his senior season as well which showed something and was not concerned about the injury then.  But to just say oh I am sitting out the bowl game and I am not injured because it is not important or what?  Finishing your college career and finishing the season with a win is not important?  To say Freeman not being on the field did not hurt the team, yeah it did hurt the team a lot actually.  Very odd thing to do but now a days few question it and it is assumed all running backs will sit out sadly.  Yes Fournette sat out the bowl game as well last year, and sure he ran an good 40 at the combine but was limited in other work, and oh guess what he still gets injured and has been injured more than once this season alone and will probably the rest of his career.  What Darnold should sit out the bowl game because he might get hurt as well, heck every top 20 pick potentially should sit out?  You play football, you get hurt and that is a risk.  If one is so desperate to not get hurt right before the draft because maybe they will not run a great 40 time and be able to work out, then maybe they are not that confident in their actual football playing ability.  If they are such a good player the 2nd contract is what matters, not the 1st one unless you think you are really not that good and will not get a strong second one or any at all.  Then again hard to say players should play though because coaches come and go without any hesitation regardless, so hard to get a sense of team and playing for each other and the University when something like that happens constantly.  Guess they are all just following what coaches do all the time and yes even the Oregon coach who recruiting Freeman to stay his senior year did the same.  Still would have been nice to see a senior finish his season playing and getting a solid bowl win compared to just oddly cheering on the sidelines while the team got crushed most of the game until late.

Completely agree with this.

I doubt most scouts care if he sits out a bowl game, especially one that has no serious meaning for that team.  It's not like he's chose to sit out the fourth game of the year.  He played in every game and frankly put up better numbers than I thought he would as a Senior.  I've always been on the side that the college game is just a (mostly free) minor league system for the NFL and there shouldn't be a single argument against NCAA players skipping meaningless bowl games that they would only get a backpack and a hat for.  I'm sure there will be some scouts that raise an eyebrow to it but I'm sure it means nothing to most.

2 hours ago, DocHambone said:

Bruce Anderson is not an NFL running back, and with everyone healthy, he is probably the third best RB on their roster. 

Not an NFL running back says who, you?  As a junior coming back next year as a senior he has more than enough time to develop and showcases some fine speed for a bigger back.  He is better than Wilson and Dunn I feel.  Sure Dunn was a fine player but Anderson has shown really good explosive playmaking ability and speed I think, more than Dunn showed in the past before the injury.  He has a shot at the next level an there is no reason to rule him completely out of being a potential NFL player.  Will be interesting how he does against JMU the best defense they will play all year most likely.  Yes has a long ways to go but has a shot if he keeps being this explosive as a runner at that size.

3 hours ago, fin156 said:

I doubt most scouts care if he sits out a bowl game, especially one that has no serious meaning for that team.  It's not like he's chose to sit out the fourth game of the year.  He played in every game and frankly put up better numbers than I thought he would as a Senior.  I've always been on the side that the college game is just a (mostly free) minor league system for the NFL and there shouldn't be a single argument against NCAA players skipping meaningless bowl games that they would only get a backpack and a hat for.  I'm sure there will be some scouts that raise an eyebrow to it but I'm sure it means nothing to most.

Maybe, but as a competitor I cannot imagine being part of a team then just saying I am going to sit because I myself do not want to get injured.  I mean what the hell, this is football, you could get injured in a car wreck going to your "NFL combine" workout for the next few months as well.  So then you should sleep at the facility and never go anywhere?  Sure if Freeman was injured fine sit, and yes there is not consistency with a team always when coaches leave all the time...  But I know a great competitor would not sit their last college game because of fear of injury, if anything they would play through an injury it in an effort to win as a team.  And sure it was a "meaningless bowl game" but that is just the playoff talking, I know for a lot of players on Boise State it was not meaningless and they played like it.   Thanks to the college football playoff everything outside of it is considered a lot less important and I believe Nick Saban said that would happen when they started this new system....

Freeman to me is a tough physical big running back that has been wildly consistent over a very long period of time.  Had a fine season so why sit?  Show your toughness and have fun playing your final college game ever.  It was not like he left the team either to go train, he was on the freaking sidelines which was an issue.  Talking to and trying to hype up his team when they were down, when he himself decided to sit out the game...ummm yeah... 

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe, but as a competitor I cannot imagine being part of a team then just saying I am going to sit because I myself do not want to get injured.  I mean what the hell, this is football, you could get injured in a car wreck going to your "NFL combine" workout for the next few months as well.  So then you should sleep at the facility and never go anywhere?  Sure if Freeman was injured fine sit, and yes there is not consistency with a team always when coaches leave all the time...  But I know a great competitor would not sit their last college game because of fear of injury, if anything they would play through an injury it in an effort to win as a team.  And sure it was a "meaningless bowl game" but that is just the playoff talking, I know for a lot of players on Boise State it was not meaningless and they played like it.   Thanks to the college football playoff everything outside of it is considered a lot less important and I believe Nick Saban said that would happen when they started this new system....

Freeman to me is a tough physical big running back that has been wildly consistent over a very long period of time.  Had a fine season so why sit?  Show your toughness and have fun playing your final college game ever.  It was not like he left the team either to go train, he was on the freaking sidelines which was an issue.  Talking to and trying to hype up his team when they were down, when he himself decided to sit out the game...ummm yeah... 

The fact that he was on the sidelines could have been stopped by the coaching staff so not all of that blame deserves to be put on him for that.  I think the fact that they didn't stop him from going to the game probably states that they didn't care that much about it.  Sure, I'm willing to bet Cristobal and company wanted him out there but if they were that pissed off about it, they wouldn't have even let him go to the game.

Let me ask you this...let's say that was not Royce Freeman, a hopeful Day 2 but most likely Day 3 pick.  Let's say instead that it was Bradley Chubb or Mike McGlinchey.  Two seniors who will get picked a lot higher and therefore make a higher amount of money in the beginning.  I'm willing to bet that there would be a different reaction by people if that were the case.  Also, I get what you're saying earlier about the second contract is what's more important but the average NFL career, as we all know here, is only a few years.  Yes, 2nd contract is the ultimate goal but there is nothing wrong with being rational about the situation.

15 minutes ago, fin156 said:

The fact that he was on the sidelines could have been stopped by the coaching staff so not all of that blame deserves to be put on him for that.  I think the fact that they didn't stop him from going to the game probably states that they didn't care that much about it.  Sure, I'm willing to bet Cristobal and company wanted him out there but if they were that pissed off about it, they wouldn't have even let him go to the game.

Let me ask you this...let's say that was not Royce Freeman, a hopeful Day 2 but most likely Day 3 pick.  Let's say instead that it was Bradley Chubb or Mike McGlinchey.  Two seniors who will get picked a lot higher and therefore make a higher amount of money in the beginning.  I'm willing to bet that there would be a different reaction by people if that were the case.  Also, I get what you're saying earlier about the second contract is what's more important but the average NFL career, as we all know here, is only a few years.  Yes, 2nd contract is the ultimate goal but there is nothing wrong with being rational about the situation.

I am sure the coaching staff was not pissed about Freeman sitting, and if they were would never in their life say it ever. 

But I would feel the same if it was Chubb or McGlinchey for sure.  For one Notre Dame is playing in a big time game so for sure I would want to see McGlinchey finish out his career strong against a good opponent, instead of being scared of being rolled up on from behind.  Chubb they are playing in less of a game but still would want to see him and that defense play well and dominate in that game.  One should like playing football and enjoy it, not sit out in fear of getting injured.  It is another setting against a new opponent in a different environment, I would rather see them play and see how they do not sit out when they are f'ing healthy. Sure Jaylon Smith most recently had that awful injury in a major bowl game and did lose some money because of it but in the end has played well this year and should be set for that 2nd contract anyway if he keeps improving and playing well.  Sadly guys sitting out bowl games will happen more and more now potentially I feel...

6 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Can I get your thoughts on James Looney & Cedrick Wilson please?

Cedrick Wilson I like a lot, has had a very good season and a great game last weekend.  Nice athlete who is at worst a mid round pick but with good workouts could easily climb into the late 2nd or 3rd round at best.  Really like his production despite having all the attention on him surrounded by not a ton of talented weapons on Boise State to take the coverage off of him.  Has good enough speed to make big plays down field and enough toughness to make hard catches over the middle.

Looney I like his pass rush potential but not sure how elite he is as an athlete.  I like the energy and enthusiasm he plays with, plays with passion out there.  Could maybe be an ok 3/4 DE but not sure he has the strength for that.  That will be key for him, because doubt he could get consistent pressure as a 4/3 DE.  Is interesting as a talent but kind of a long shot unless he can prove he can play a 3/4 DE and get a rush on the passer.    Is most likely a later round prospect but will see...

Archived