Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, riceman80 said:

How? They went 5-11 last year with John Fox calling plays for Mike Glennon and rookie Trubisky throwing to the likes of Kendall Wright. They added an offensive minded HC, Allen Robinson, and Trey Burton. Their D was top 10 last year and they added Mack and Roquan Smith.

Keep dreaming of getting a top 5 pick

I said 3-13 before Mack. They could easily finish between 5-8 wins now. 

Trey Burton and Allen Robinson are totally overrated. Avoided those two like the plague in fantasy. Mitchell Trubisky will not be a good NFL QB. They have a decent defense and Jordan Howard...

There's not many 1st-2nd Round Graded QB's I've "hated" coming out of college. Trubisky is one of them. He played in a system that does not translate well to the pro level, he played ONE season basically, and he played two elite defenses all year in Stanford and Georgia and looked like piss both of those games. I also feel he is too short and not physically talented enough to overcome it like other QBs at similar heights. His arm and mobility are solid, not amazing, solid. I just don't know if he has the intangibles and elite football IQ/decision making to overcome that.

QBs I've loved coming out:

Carson Wentz (I mean you can dig up some NFL draft posts of me saying this guy will be the next Aaron Rodgers)

Derek Carr

Jimmy Garrappolo

Andrew Luck (obv)

QBs I've been meh on coming out:

Jamies Winston

Marcus Mariota

Jared Goff (no Air Raid QB has EVER done well in the NFL, however, McVay is a dang offensive genius... so... yeah...and I'm a huge cal/goff fan btw)

Baker Mayfield (mostly same reason as above)

QBs I've hated coming out of college:

Josh Allen

Mitchell Trubisky

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

I mean I'm not perfect, I really really liked Teddy Bridgewater (although his pro day made me pretty nervous) and was pretty meh on Cam Newton and didn't think he was worth the #1 pick. I just feel Trubisky will absolutely not be a "great" NFL QB. If he turns out to be elite, I'll definitely eat some crow. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and won't be the last.

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

We could find a way to keep Mack at any cost but it would also mean we don't have anything left to surround him with talent. Is it better to have one elite player surrounded by average players or multiple good players (none as good as Mack)? We'll see what works best.

You go with the elite player when you are paying the coach $100m and he should coach up the players around him. You don’t get rid of your best player in the prime of his career, period. 

Tough day Raiders fans.  Sorry to hear you lost one of your favorite players.  I have something to add that may make you feel a little better.  Last year, the Vikings had the #1 defense in the league.  When you think about it though, we didn't have a single player as good as Khalil Mack.  When I think about it, the Vikings are one of the best teams in the league, but they don't actually have a single player like Mack who is very likely to end up in the Hall of Fame.  What we do have is a roster stocked with a lot of very good players who have played in the same system for a few years now. 

The reason I bring this up is that, by giving up a transcendent talent in Khalil Mack, your team has just put itself in a position where you can build a roster similar to the Vikings.  As hard is it must be to lose one of your favorite players, it will be fun watching Gruden and your organization put together a team in the next few years.  This could end up being a great situation for the Raiders.

Don't lose hope Raiders fans.  You now have the capital (in draft picks and salary cap) to put together a much better team than any you have had during Mack's time with the organization.  All is not lost.  It might just be beginning!  Best of luck in the future with that bounty of draft picks!

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Tough day Raiders fans.  Sorry to hear you lost one of your favorite players.  I have something to add that may make you feel a little better.  Last year, the Vikings had the #1 defense in the league.  When you think about it though, we didn't have a single player as good as Khalil Mack.  When I think about it, the Vikings are one of the best teams in the league, but they don't actually have a single player like Mack who is very likely to end up in the Hall of Fame.  What we do have is a roster stocked with a lot of very good players who have played in the same system for a few years now. 

The reason I bring this up is that, by giving up a transcendent talent in Khalil Mack, your team has just put itself in a position where you can build a roster similar to the Vikings.  As hard is it must be to lose one of your favorite players, it will be fun watching Gruden and your organization put together a team in the next few years.  This could end up being a great situation for the Raiders.

Don't lose hope Raiders fans.  You now have the capital (in draft picks and salary cap) to put together a much better team than any you have had during Mack's time with the organization.  All is not lost.  It might just be beginning!  Best of luck in the future with that bounty of draft picks!

Bounty of draft picks? We gave up a 2nd as well as Mack ffs.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

You go with the elite player when you are paying the coach $100m and he should coach up the players around him. You don’t get rid of your best player in the prime of his career, period. 

I don't understand what the coach's salary has to do with the way you build the roster. Look, i would have loved to see Mack in silver and black for his whole career but when you're working on a budget (a salary cap), you have to figure out how to spread your money to build a strong and sustainable unit (team). If it was up to me, i'd be more willing to pay Mack than Carr but the QB market went crazy real quick and QBs are deemed too valuable. I think the Raiders are the 1st team to face this situation (having to pay a QB and an elite pass rusher) since the QB market took off. I don't know if they made the right choice.

18 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't understand what the coach's salary has to do with the way you build the roster. Look, i would have loved to see Mack in silver and black for his whole career but when you're working on a budget (a salary cap), you have to figure out how to spread your money to build a strong and sustainable unit (team). If it was up to me, i'd be more willing to pay Mack than Carr but the QB market went crazy real quick and QBs are deemed too valuable. I think the Raiders are the 1st team to face this situation (having to pay a QB and an elite pass rusher) since the QB market took off. I don't know if they made the right choice.

Come on Gruden is getting (very) highly paid as a coach he should earn his money and coach up the players. You spend the money on Mack and get your well paid coach to deal with the rest of the roster.

if we weren't able to give Mack the contract he deserved because we didn’t have the actual cash then the contract given to Gruden comes under even more scrutiny. 

10 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

I'm glad Mack got his money I just wish it was from the Raiders. The cap goes up every year and his contract will be topped with in the next 3 years. 

He's also going to a better defensive situation.

That’s the whole problem,  with the fall of TV viewership the cap will be going down soon.

15 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Come on Gruden is getting (very) highly paid as a coach he should earn his money and coach up the players. You spend the money on Mack and get your well paid coach to deal with the rest of the roster.

if we weren't able to give Mack the contract he deserved because we didn’t have the actual cash then the contract given to Gruden comes under even more scrutiny. 

It's not about cash, it's about the salary cap. Gruden's salary has nothing to do with the cap.

So because Gruden got paid that much, he should be able to turn any player into a solid starter. How is Gruden supposed to coach up defensive players anyway? The defense isn't his expertise.

33 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

It's not about cash, it's about the salary cap. Gruden's salary has nothing to do with the cap.

So because Gruden got paid that much, he should be able to turn any player into a solid starter. How is Gruden supposed to coach up defensive players anyway? The defense isn't his expertise.

Are you saying the defensive coach isn’t the responsibility of the Head Coach ? Gruden s getting well paid to coach the team not just the offense. 

Also how sure are you that’s it’s not about the cash? National media who were the ones that broke the story that Mack could be traded are the ones suggesting we don’t have the cash. 

Thankfully we live in an age where we receive all these updates by the minute of rumors and such. I think the fact that I knew for weeks that it was a possibility makes it an easier pill to swallow.  If it came out of nowhere, I would be really hung over right now. A couple of thoughts:

1.) The front office offered him a deal at $20 per year. At the time, that would have made him the highest player in the league. It worked out for him in the long run, but still, he could have taken it then and we aren’t even having this conversation. His agent then had him cut off contact with the staff. I think if he took the Odell route, things would have worked out differently.

2.) They realized they were not going to pay him all that cash and got something in return, rather than franchising a disgruntled player for two years and getting nothing back. The second rounder we gave up doesn’t make sense to me, but still, when is the last time a player went for two firsts? Everyone said we weren’t going to get two firsts, and when we did, people criticized us for it. What we do with those picks is the scary part, but we can definitely fill more spots now. 

3.) Look, I loved having Mack. He was an animal for us and made the team exciting to watch. (Going to be hard donating that jersey.) However, paying a guy all that money when the defenses have been no better than 22nd since he was here seems a bit much. I understand, he can’t do it on his own, and we have tried to bring players in to help without much success. Maybe he would have been a terror with guenther, point is that we will have cap space and picks to improve upon this defense. I like what the Vikings fan said. They had no elite defenders (except maybe Rhodes) and thy had the number one defense. What system do they run? Oh yeah. Same one as our current DC.

4.) He will be missed in the locker room but I don’t think we will have player mutiny like some ppl are saying. We have heard it over and over again as raider fans. I think Gruden has come a long way in repairing the culture that del Rio built up and ruined. Players will get over it. Irvin and Carr will lead and get guys focused. 

5.) I was reading some thoughts from cap ppl last night. If we wanted to give Mack the cash he wanted, we would have basically had to cut Irvin and Lynch and would not have signed Jordy and Whitehead. (This should have gone in section three but I forgot to include it there.) Again, I get it, he is an elite talent but if we pay him, it is hard to build around him and the rest of the team.

Tear me up for this, I don’t care. Look, I wish we could have signed Mack before Carr, but it didn’t work out that way. You have to pay your QBs and we had to pay him at the time. I just don’t think this whole thing is as bad as ppl are making it out to be. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Are you saying the defensive coach isn’t the responsibility of the Head Coach ? Gruden s getting well paid to coach the team not just the offense. 

Also how sure are you that’s it’s not about the cash? National media who were the ones that broke the story that Mack could be traded are the ones suggesting we don’t have the cash. 

What players get paid has nothing to do with how Coaches get paid. 

Archived