Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

I’m finding this really difficult to stomach, but the one thing I am holding on to is that it will be fun to go into the next 2 drafts with 2 first rounders. I have been envious of those teams in recent years who have had multiple first rounders so it will be pretty cool for it to be us for a change. It does also look like a pretty stellar draft for defensive talent too. Still really pissed, but at least it’s something.

Just now, reddevil said:

I’m finding this really difficult to stomach, but the one thing I am holding on to is that it will be fun to go into the next 2 drafts with 2 first rounders. I have been envious of those teams in recent years who have had multiple first rounders so it will be pretty cool for it to be us for a change. It does also look like a pretty stellar draft for defensive talent too. Still really pissed, but at least it’s something.

What’s our philosophy now though? We only want to pick up good players because we won’t pay for the elite ones when we draft them?

23 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Me too. That is until we do something stupid like trade a first away for Earl Thomas and their 2nd and fifth. Or should I say a first and a fourth. That second round pick hurt as much as the Mack trade. Well probably not as much. But I was just getting numb and then BAM right in the keister.

12 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Me too. That is until we do something stupid like trade a first away for Earl Thomas and their 2nd and fifth. Or should I say a first and a fourth. That second round pick hurt as much as the Mack trade. Well probably not as much. But I was just getting numb and then BAM right in the keister.

The second rounder is the weird part to me. Not sure how we got suckered into that. But with all the extra cap space and two first rounders, who knows what our roster will look like two years from now?  

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

What’s our philosophy now though? We only want to pick up good players because we won’t pay for the elite ones when we draft them?

If we ever draft 2 players in the same year again that have to be given 23M+ extensions (and 100M guaranteed between the 2), probably.

47 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

What does Gruden count towards the salary cap again? Different things you have to take into account when paying a player opposed to a coach is all I’m saying 

The point I was making is did we enough cash to pay Mack? If not then you have to include Gruden’s contract in possible reasons why not. 

2 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Thankfully we live in an age where we receive all these updates by the minute of rumors and such. I think the fact that I knew for weeks that it was a possibility makes it an easier pill to swallow.  If it came out of nowhere, I would be really hung over right now. A couple of thoughts:

1.) The front office offered him a deal at $20 per year. At the time, that would have made him the highest player in the league. It worked out for him in the long run, but still, he could have taken it then and we aren’t even having this conversation. His agent then had him cut off contact with the staff. I think if he took the Odell route, things would have worked out differently.

2.) They realized they were not going to pay him all that cash and got something in return, rather than franchising a disgruntled player for two years and getting nothing back. The second rounder we gave up doesn’t make sense to me, but still, when is the last time a player went for two firsts? Everyone said we weren’t going to get two firsts, and when we did, people criticized us for it. What we do with those picks is the scary part, but we can definitely fill more spots now. 

3.) Look, I loved having Mack. He was an animal for us and made the team exciting to watch. (Going to be hard donating that jersey.) However, paying a guy all that money when the defenses have been no better than 22nd since he was here seems a bit much. I understand, he can’t do it on his own, and we have tried to bring players in to help without much success. Maybe he would have been a terror with guenther, point is that we will have cap space and picks to improve upon this defense. I like what the Vikings fan said. They had no elite defenders (except maybe Rhodes) and thy had the number one defense. What system do they run? Oh yeah. Same one as our current DC.

4.) He will be missed in the locker room but I don’t think we will have player mutiny like some ppl are saying. We have heard it over and over again as raider fans. I think Gruden has come a long way in repairing the culture that del Rio built up and ruined. Players will get over it. Irvin and Carr will lead and get guys focused. 

5.) I was reading some thoughts from cap ppl last night. If we wanted to give Mack the cash he wanted, we would have basically had to cut Irvin and Lynch and would not have signed Jordy and Whitehead. (This should have gone in section three but I forgot to include it there.) Again, I get it, he is an elite talent but if we pay him, it is hard to build around him and the rest of the team.

Tear me up for this, I don’t care. Look, I wish we could have signed Mack before Carr, but it didn’t work out that way. You have to pay your QBs and we had to pay him at the time. I just don’t think this whole thing is as bad as ppl are making it out to be. Time will tell.

The Raiders had to pay Carr first, franchise QBs don’t grow on trees, neither do elite DEs but with a good enough DC you can scheme pressure. You can’t hide a bad QB, that’s why Jacksonville lost the AFC championship game. 

I like having RM as a GM and Gruden as a coach but both of them need to be stripped of their ability to make trades and draft early round players.  There are plenty of posters in this forum that would have easily outperformed RM in the first 3 rounds of the draft over the years.  Do not bring up 14' because most of us would have drafted Mack in the first and when Carr fell to us we would have taken him or Garappolo. In the third I would have taken Jackson also.  We get destroyed in trades every time and this Mack trade, although I agree trading him was the right move, we lost also because of the 2nd round pick.  Gruden needs to stick to coaching and RM should really just focus on contracts and late round prospects.  I know it is not going to happen but that is what would be in our best interest.  With the current front office I am sure these picks will be blown in some way shape or form.  Our FO is proof of the Peter Principle.

The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills. If the promoted person lacks the skills required for their new role, then they will be incompetent at their new level, and so they will not be promoted again. But if they are competent at their new role, then they will be promoted again, and they will continue to be promoted until they eventually reach a level at which they are incompetent.

Also for anyone expecting the Bears to have a top 10 pick good luck.  That team looks like they can compete within their division now and the NFC North may be the best division in football.  They should have no less than 8 wins this year.

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Also for anyone expecting the Bears to have a top 10 pick good luck.  That team looks like they can compete within their division now and the NFC North may be the best division in football.  They should have no less than 8 wins this year.

It's a QB driven league, and they're still unproven at QB. Just sayin, if Trubiski fizzles, the chance they'll be good is tough.

Just now, NickButera said:

It's a QB driven league, and they're still unproven at QB. Just sayin, if Trubiski fizzles, the chance they'll be good is tough.

Trubiski does not need to win games.  He just needs to not lose them.  That D will be one of the best in the league.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Trubiski does not need to win games.  He just needs to not lose them.  That D will be one of the best in the league.

Yep. That D + Jordan Howard = around 8 wins alone. Even if Trubisky is only Bortles/Tyrod level they could make the playoffs. 

They went 5-11 with John Fox calling plays for Mike Glennon and rookie Trubisky who were throwing to Kendall Wright.

Now it's Matt Nagy calling plays for 2nd year Trubisky throwing to Allen Robinson and vastly improved receiving corps. Plus their top 10 D returns in its entirety and have Mack and Roquan as additions.

This one reason i hated the trade too. If you've got a top end D and a running game you're likely good for at least bein around .500. Their D had one flaw and that was a passrusher and we gave them arguably the best edge rusher in football.

Archived