Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

10 minutes ago, WeaponX said:

What a joke. We have OSU fans in here playing the “lynch mob” and “social justice warrior” card. 

As if all of this is some made up story.

In reality, you're just mad the outcome wasn't what you and your buddies wanted, and try to hide behind DV to try to attack tOSU fans which is hilariously weak, people like you like to selectively get outraged about thinks with an underlined agenda and stick your head in the sand about others.

Time to move on.....

- Everything McMurphy reported has been corroborated by the university report.

- Urban deleted texts that weren’t more than one year old when he turned over his phone.

- Urban didn’t tell Ohio State what he knew about Zach’s 2009 issue even after Zach’s incident in 2015.

- Ohio State and Urban Meyer thought it was appropriate to apologize to “Buckeye Nation” three times and to Courtney Smith zero times.

- Apparently Ohio State has a demented head coach because they are claiming Urban has been experiencing memory-loss. Interesting because Urban has gone on record claiming he remembers every play in certain games.

- Ohio State and Urban Meyer would like you believe that there was no cover up and that Urban “misspoke” at Big Ten media day when asked about it or simply forgot, because after all, he’s demented.

I guess here are my thoughts about the entire process and ruling:

I thought it was common knowledge that Urban only cared about winning and that molding men was at best secondary/tertiary, if not nonexistent when OSU hired him 6-7 years ago. Look at his track record at Florida, how he recruited kids, manipulated people, etc. I understand why most outside people look at Tressel as a hypocritical dbag based off of the events surrounding his firing in light of things he preached, like integrity, accountability, honesty, etc. However, JT would do anything for another HS coach and have total recall of your name, ask you about anything, give you film for anything, and let you come watch practice and meet with you afterwards. His connection to people in the state was unbelievable. Urban has none of that.

What I still don’t get is this exchange toward Smith I’m the initial incident back in 2015 when called back from his recruiting trip:

Urban: If you hit her you’re fired.

Smith: If charges are pressed you’re fired

Professional counseling then ordered...

The Title IX/compliance officer reported to Urban what Smith was involved in and Urban was according to the report furious. Legally, he’s not obligated to report it since compliance is already aware.

Bottom line: This whole suspension is ludicrous. Either back him or fire him, even if it means paying him. A suspension clearly is a PR move in an attempt to please/put at bay the naysayers and those who are angry. The third game vs TCU is clearly calculated to show that “they mean business” even though obviously they don’t. If he is a .500 coach or mediocre, he’s fired. But, he’s Urban Meyer so obviously he’s staying. Winning players, people, those elite in their careers are unfortunately given more opportunities and chances in most places. It is what it is.

The legal/moral/dishonesty matter is a tricky gray area and slippery slope. 

The ultimate irony in all of this is that Smith was fired for covering this whole matter up and wasn’t transparent and honest. The hilarious irony isn’t lost on me.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I believe Danny Davis is fully involved in UW team activities right now also, unless I misheard. Here’s a guy who allegedly video’d a rape and is allowed to be around the team with only a 2-day consequence and no suspension during the investigation.

You are correct that Davis is involved with team activities. The allegation is not that he videotaped a rape. There was a mention in the criminal complaint against Cephus that "at one point Cephus and Davis were taking pictures and laughing", but it does not specifically say if this is during the assault or not (they had met at a bar prior).

You can check the Wisconsin team thread for more info starting somewhere around Page 70. I'm not happy that he's involved with the team.

The belief that McMurpjy accurately reported this saga as a journalist is comedic. If you want to say Urban is a loser and should be fired, that’s fine. But if you’re going to toot Brett McMurphy’s horn then you just lose every ounce of credibility. Here’s a guy who presented a false narrative, ran with it, edited out the lies/misfacts that created an early narrative, with no retraction. And, opted to only report one side of the narrative without any conflicting accounts or exculpatory information that makes things an intelligent conversation. I’m all about a logical argument. I don’t even care what side people fall on, truly. What bothers me is a clear agenda-based narrative like McMurphy’s. I’d like to think there’s a time that reporters job was to present a neutral, fact-based story. That guy is a gossip columnist and nothing more. 

One more thing though. If Courtney Smith called the police 66 times over a relatively short time span, and charges weren’t filed one time, there are only two logical conclusions: either the police is corrupt and in cahoots with TOSU, or Courtney Smith is as crazy as a shaken up jar of fireflies set loose. As someone experienced in the LEO line of work, my assumption is that Meyer did know that Courtney was a crazy lady with an alcohol problem and didn’t believe any of what she was selling. In the end, he had a blind spot for Smith, and that’s his fault. Zach is as big of a mess as his ex, and in many ways likely worse. The narrative or Courtney as some put together victim though is interesting and seems to lack a general knowledge of what these situations look like. Ultimately though, I am less than happy with the way that our head coach handled the situation as a whole. Although I think there is a lots of blame to go around, I don’t really feel sorry for Meyer one bit.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You are correct that Davis is involved with team activities. The allegation is not that he videotaped a rape. There was a mention in the criminal complaint against Cephus that "at one point Cephus and Davis were taking pictures and laughing", but it does not specifically say if this is during the assault or not (they had met at a bar prior).

You can check the Wisconsin team thread for more info starting somewhere around Page 70. I'm not happy that he's involved with the team.

Yeah, Wisconsin fans seem to be pretty levelheaded on that one, which is good to see. My point there was comparing a precedent of letting someone be involved in team activities while not playing. Like I said, I don’t know of that many situations that compare to Myers, because that is a unique one. But I’m not really surprised that at some point he’s going to be available during the week. Especially given the time away, which will be over a month.

59 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

They were never gonna please the lynch mob though.

Seriously? I'm part of the "lynch mob" apparently, and here's what I wrote the day they suspended him indefinitely:

On 8/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Good for OSU handling this investigation the way they have, by the way. This is how you handle this crap when it shows up. Urban was always a slimeball, but Gene Smith isn't honey dicking around here and is making sure there's real accountability. Better to lose for a year than be Baylor forever.

If they had run a complete investigation and were able to show that Urban Meyer actually didn't know or reported what he knew and did his job, then of course he should keep his job. Lying to the media about DV is a stain on the program, but at least internally stuff would have been handled appropriately.

That's not what they found. What they found was that he knew, he didn't report it, he lied repeatedly about it, and when the media raised the possibility of an investigation, his response was to immediately deleted his phone records.

Ohio State's position is "yeah he failed to do what his contract said and all his actions point to enabling DV, but he didn't mean what his clear pattern of behavior would make you think he meant". That's BS and everyone here knows it.

Acting like we'd treat this any differently for any other school is an admission that you're treating this differently because it's your school.

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

In reality, you're just mad the outcome wasn't what you and your buddies wanted, and try to hide behind DV to try to attack tOSU fans which is hilariously weak, people like you like to selectively get outraged about thinks with an underlined agenda and stick your head in the sand about others.

Time to move on.....

I could only respond with the following:

In reality, you're just glad the outcome was what you and your buddies wanted, and that you will get to hide behind your coach because he wins games and deflect which is hilariously weak, people like you like to selectively get outraged about things with an underlined agenda and stick your head in the sand about others.

Answer the following:

- Did Zach Smith receive only one chance from Urban Meyer?

- Did Urban Meyer know about 2009 and not bring it up when 2015 was brought up? (Ohio State claims this)

- Why did Urban Meyer's phone not have texts older than 1 year on his phone when he turned it in? (Ohio State claims this)

- Are you comfortable that Ohio State has a coach with either drug induced memory loss or dementia? (Ohio State claims this)

41 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The belief that McMurpjy accurately reported this saga as a journalist is comedic. If you want to say Urban is a loser and should be fired, that’s fine. But if you’re going to toot Brett McMurphy’s horn then you just lose every ounce of credibility. Here’s a guy who presented a false narrative, ran with it, edited out the lies/misfacts that created an early narrative, with no retraction. And, opted to only report one side of the narrative without any conflicting accounts or exculpatory information that makes things an intelligent conversation. I’m all about a logical argument. I don’t even care what side people fall on, truly. What bothers me is a clear agenda-based narrative like McMurphy’s. I’d like to think there’s a time that reporters job was to present a neutral, fact-based story. That guy is a gossip columnist and nothing more. 

One more thing though. If Courtney Smith called the police 66 times over a relatively short time span, and charges weren’t filed one time, there are only two logical conclusions: either the police is corrupt and in cahoots with TOSU, or Courtney Smith is as crazy as a shaken up jar of fireflies set loose. As someone experienced in the LEO line of work, my assumption is that Meyer did know that Courtney was a crazy lady with an alcohol problem and didn’t believe any of what she was selling. In the end, he had a blind spot for Smith, and that’s his fault. Zach is as big of a mess as his ex, and in many ways likely worse. The narrative or Courtney as some put together victim though is interesting and seems to lack a general knowledge of what these situations look like. Ultimately though, I am less than happy with the way that our head coach handled the situation as a whole. Although I think there is a lots of blame to go around, I don’t really feel sorry for Meyer one bit.

Well said. 

18 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

ITT everyone is better investigators than the people who actually conducted the damn investigation....................... shocking.....

So you believe the committee that Urban would fire Zach on the spot? 

And you also believe them that he simply misspoke?

And you also believe them that Urban Meyer has this drug induced memory loss despite stating previously that he remembers every play from certain games?

14 minutes ago, WeaponX said:

So you believe the committee that Urban would fire Zach on the spot? 

And you also believe them that he simply misspoke?

And you also believe them that Urban Meyer has this drug induced memory loss despite stating previously that he remembers every play from certain games?

My beliefs don't matter. Your beliefs don't matter. What matters is the committee found what they did after a thorough investigation, came to a conclusion, and that's that. Call it what you want but that is literally all that matters. If you want to believe there is corruption and the integrity is lacking, you'll find whatever evidence supports that and live off of it. I'll go buy you tin foil also. They did their investigation and this is what they determined. If they had fired him, I'd be speaking the same crap I am now..... but I guess my bias is showing or something like that. I dunno.

2 hours ago, WeaponX said:

- Everything McMurphy reported has been corroborated by the university report.

That's just objectively false. I'd say his poor reporting only ever reduced the chances of Meyer being fired.

Edit:  Honestly his reporting is so bad, you could argue that Meyer didn't even lie at Big10 media day because what McMurphy was alleging was false.

Archived