What team do you think would trade for Teddy Bridgewater?

DoleINGout

Re: how much teams would pay, there's a lot of talk on how much Alex Smith & JimmyG got, and of course, Bradford.

Here's the thing, though:

1.   JimmyG & Smith were traded for to be long-term guys, and were extended as part of that plan.   No team is going to extend Teddy B until he shows he's all the way back from the injury.  2 preseason games isn't cutting it.   They're trading for a stopgap now, that they can see if he's worth extending down the road.

2.  The Bradford situation was a perfect storm of no one left in the trade market, and a team who had no decent backup, and most importantly - thought that a bridge QB would still keep them in contention.    Injury can happen at any time, but there's no one in that situation right now - we'd need the team to be a contender, and have no viable backup.   The latter is certainly possible with a bunch of teams...the former narrows the list considerably. 

3.  Most importantly, it's so late in the season now that Bridgewater would be coming in fresh - and learning yet another system.   When he's just barely physically recovered enough to play.  As opposed to a guy like Bradford, who did have to learn so many new systems while in LA, he demonstrated he was a quick study.  It's not like it's a lock Teddy would be the same coming on this late.   Most likely, he'd be coming on as a backup or plan B, and take time to get ready to even help.

When you look at the above, TeddyB situation isn't even close to the same as JimmyG/Smith, and certainly not Bradford 2016.  There's a reason why he was an afterthought on the FA market, and guys like Bradford and even McCown got more $ - teams weren't ready to commit to him to even be a 2-year bridge guy.   2 preseason games won't suddenly change it to where teams are going to trade for AND extend him to multiple years at QB starter $ (Keenum's 18M AAV league-average or close).

Add it all up, the Jets asking price of a 2nd is a pipe dream.  And before people mention it, the SEA-offering-a-2nd for Brissett story has already been debunked (HORRIBLE journalism there - SEA had no 2nd for 2018 & 2019 to offer, and Brissett is a 2018 UDFA - not surprising that was subsequently shot down - that reporter should be embarrassed he put that in print, a high school reporter would have been able to sniff the BS there).

Given the Jets are going to play McCown/Darnold, it's likely there's no comp pick in the future if he signs elsewhere next year - because he won't get huge $ if he doesn't prove he's capable. He might be one year further removed, but won't have answered the Q's on whether he's really back and at what level he can play at.   Add it all up, I don't blame the Jets for trying to drive up his price, and it's fine to wait and see if a team gets desperate due to injury right up to the trading deadline, but I'd imagine they'd be tickled pink if they got a 4th-5th for him (or even a conditional pick from 4th-6th depending on his 2019 snap count).   I mean, they only paid $5M for him - anything they get is a good return on the investment.   A closer look shows that holding on to him expecting a huge return, well unless a Bradford 2016 redux happens (which again, has to be a contender AND team with no options and willing to pay the price)...well, don't see it.

Unless some unfortunate team was to lose their starter and backup QB to injury, I really don't see any team giving up anything of value to trade for Bridgewater.  For whatever reason, this was like a 45 minute discussion on ESPN the other night, and here we have a 12+ page thread arguing the welfare of a fringe starter who has shown he's nothing more than a bottom 10 QB at best...

If Bridgewater can't establish himself ahead of a 40 year old journeyman or a rookie, then you really have to ask yourself if he truly has what it takes to be an NFL starter.  Yet, folks are falling over themselves to come up with a scenario that gets a starting job handed to him....

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Actually, I think in Teddy's case that this would not be the best situation for him.  The real question about him has been his health for the last couple of years.  At this point, he is past the point where he needs to be mentored - even by the best quarterback of all time.  All he really needs is an opportunity to get out on the field and play.   IMO, Jacksonville would be the perfect landing spot for him - even better than New England.  Teddy is a better QB than Bortles, and they would get further with him. 

I agree with everything you said. Just meant that Even If Teddy thought it was the best situation for him from a success standpoint, he is going to want to prove himself as soon as possible... Not potentially sit behind Brady for another year or two.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Gannon12 said:

No one is suggesting that high of a pick but the risk of a mid 5-7 rounder for him. A QB that can actually pass. I am afraid to admit I was high on him in the draft but bortles failed me.

In 28 starts, Bridgewater has 6000 yards, 28 TDs and 21 INTs.

In 61 starts, Bortles has 15000 yards, 90 TDs and 64 INTs.

Bortles 'can actually pass'...  what the Jags need is someone who can actually catch...

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Gannon12 said:

The starting material on the jags is beyond questionable. Bortles is leaning more to the Tebow scale of QB’s not good if you want to be a super bowl contender 

Bortles: 61 starts, 90 TDs to 64 INTs

Tebow: 14 starts, 17 TDs to 9 INTs

Bridgewater: 28 starts, 28 TDs to 21 INTs

I assume you were just trying to be funny, but that was an unnecessary dig at Tebow that really didn't work to your favor....

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, TitanLegend said:

Teddy's a better QB than Bortles by a decent bit(assuming his knee is fine which it seems to be), so wouldn't be a bad move for Jacksonville. They seem content to go down with that Bortles ship though.

Really?  Love to know how you came to that conclusion? 

Bridgewater's banner year, he threw a whopping 14 TD passes in 16 starts...  I don't think there is but a handful of quarterbacks in the last decade or so that have managed such an underwhelming feat.  

Oh wait, Mariota did it last year....Maybe the Titans should take a look at Bridgewater.  They seem content to go down with that Mariota ship though...

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, BayRaider said:

Exactly, at least with Bridgewater they have a solid backup option. Riding or dying with a very average, if that, Blake Bortles while you are a top Super Bowl contender is a horrible strategy. If im the Jags I would love to have Bridgewater on my squad. 

Ok so if Bortles is 'very average', what is Bridgewater? 

Why is everybody under the impression that Bridgewater is this great QB that would be a savior for half the teams in the league?  The guy has done nothing...

Maybe an even better question is why is everybody so anxious to replace Bortles with an obviously inferior QB?

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

The Jaguars were terrified to let Bortles throw the ball, yet you think he’s better than Teddy? Lol.

Bortles is a fringe backup-level QB who is starting.

Bridgewater is capable of performing like a borderline top ten QB if you want my honest assessment yet he is less coveted than he should be because of his limited exposure after the knee injury. Pre-injury Bridgewater was an average starter in my opinion but the strides he has made in his recovery and practice since is astounding. Really makes the pressure on the decison to start Darnold immediately a tough one. Already Darnold is looking like a quality starting QB but the best case scenario for the Jets would be to start Bridgewater and trade him by the deadline if his value has risen to where the Jets get fairer compensation than they'd be receiving right now in the pre-season.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The Jaguars were terrified to let Bortles throw the ball, yet you think he’s better than Teddy? Lol.

We were terrified of Bortles yet we just paid him and gave him a long-term lucrative extension?...

I don't doubt that we went conservative. But pinning that on Blake who didn't have a turnover all playoffs and had a pretty solid season this past year isn't the route to take here. Our defense went conservative and our OL/inexperienced WRs played a large part ala what KYDI just said. That's on coaching, zero to do with Bortles. 

52 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Bortles is a fringe backup-level QB who is starting.

Bridgewater is capable of performing like a borderline top ten QB if you want my honest assessment yet he is less coveted than he should be because of his limited exposure after the knee injury. Pre-injury Bridgewater was an average starter in my opinion but the strides he has made in his recovery and practice since is astounding. Really makes the pressure on the decison to start Darnold immediately a tough one. Already Darnold is looking like a quality starting QB but the best case scenario for the Jets would be to start Bridgewater and trade him by the deadline if his value has risen to where the Jets get fairer compensation than they'd be receiving right now in the pre-season.

Ok, you're just trying to get a rise out of people with this. Gets even more ridiculous when you talk about a QB in Teddy who got paid pennies on the FA market with a nasty leg injury that some people said was the worst theyve ever seen in "top 10 QB" light.

Continue on though...

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We were terrified of Bortles yet we just paid him and gave him a long-term lucrative extension?...

I don't doubt that we went conservative. But pinning that on Blake who didn't have a turnover all playoffs and had a pretty solid season this past year isn't the route to take here. Our defense went conservative and our OL/inexperienced WRs played a large part ala what KYDI just said.

Let's be real, its a one year extension. I'm not going to argue your point about Borltes v Bridgewater or anything like that, but calling what he received a "long term lucrative extension" is a little disingenuous. It's a one year extension with a possible second year that they can easily get away from if he under performs after next season. Ostensibly, they went from 1 year, 19 million to 2 years, 26.5 million. If you want to maximize it (since it's unlikely they cut him next year and he'll get the non guaranteed portion of his salary next year), it's 2 years 37 million rather than 1/19. 

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

In 28 starts, Bridgewater has 6000 yards, 28 TDs and 21 INTs.

In 61 starts, Bortles has 15000 yards, 90 TDs and 64 INTs.

Bortles 'can actually pass'...  what the Jags need is someone who can actually catch...

Bortles: 61 starts, 90 TDs to 64 INTs

Tebow: 14 starts, 17 TDs to 9 INTs

Bridgewater: 28 starts, 28 TDs to 21 INTs

I assume you were just trying to be funny, but that was an unnecessary dig at Tebow that really didn't work to your favor....

Really?  Love to know how you came to that conclusion? 

Bridgewater's banner year, he threw a whopping 14 TD passes in 16 starts...  I don't think there is but a handful of quarterbacks in the last decade or so that have managed such an underwhelming feat.  

Oh wait, Mariota did it last year....Maybe the Titans should take a look at Bridgewater.  They seem content to go down with that Mariota ship though...

Ok so if Bortles is 'very average', what is Bridgewater? 

Why is everybody under the impression that Bridgewater is this great QB that would be a savior for half the teams in the league?  The guy has done nothing...

Maybe an even better question is why is everybody so anxious to replace Bortles with an obviously inferior QB?

Oh boy it's the "lets look at bulk stats and use that to judge players" guy.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Let's be real, its a one year extension. I'm not going to argue your point about Borltes v Bridgewater or anything like that, but calling what he received a "long term lucrative extension" is a little disingenuous. It's a one year extension with a possible second year that they can easily get away from if he under performs after next season. Ostensibly, they went from 1 year, 19 million to 2 years, 26.5 million. If you want to maximize it (since it's unlikely they cut him next year and he'll get the non guaranteed portion of his salary next year), it's 2 years 37 million rather than 1/19. 

They still gave him an extension while not looking or trying for any alternative via FA (including Teddy) or the draft. The only QB they brought in was someone in Kessler who is nothing more than a backup. For a team in a window right now to win and win now, not really sure him getting a deal that could be gotten out of early still doesn't show considerable belief in said player.

You don't do that if you're "scared to let him throw the ball". 

Just now, .Buzz said:

They still gave him an extension while not looking or trying for any alternative via FA (including Teddy) or the draft. The only QB they brought in was someone in Kessler who is nothing more than a backup. For a team in a window right now to win and win now, not really sure him getting a deal that could be gotten out of early still doesn't show considerable belief in said player.

To piggyback on this, the extension is to prove last year wasnt a fluke and he can either continue doing what he did or maybe even get better with improved weapons/protection. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean you can say they believed in him or you can say they didn't like any QB in FA(couldn't really afford Cousins or Smith long term without some serious cuts even if they did like them, looking at their cap situation right now) and were too far back in the draft to get a ready to play now guy so they stuck with Bortles. Bortles is what he is at this point, it's rare you see anyone get much better in season 5 and onward(not impossible, but rare).

I've seen so many teams do the same BS with mediocre QBs, even the Titans. Kept Jake Locker around cause every so often he'd show you something, despite the fact that he was always ridiculously inconsistent and as injury prone as any QB I've ever seen. Kept Vince Young around despite his numerous examples of being a mental midget and inconsistent passer, because again, a few games he looked like he might be special.

If you're still ridiculously inconsistent 3 or 4 seasons in to your career(should probably judge that more by starts than overall seasons, but you get the point), you're probably always going to be.

The point most are making, or at least I am, is Bridgewater, again assuming his knee is fine, is consistently average. Which if your team is going to be built entirely on running the football and playing great defense is a far better alternative to someone who yeah sometimes looks average, sometimes looks very good even, then other times plays like he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Bortles at his best is a better QB than Bridgewater. Problem for Bortles and the Jags is Bortles also has games where his play loses his team the game. Again, it's the difference between a 10-6 team and a 12-4/13-3 one. The difference between a 3/4 seed or wildcard spot and a first round bye.

And I don't know if the Jags saying no to Bridgewater in FA is necessarily because they didn't like Bridgewater. That could potentially be the reason, but the reason could also be they thought there's no way his knee holds up. And if you read what his surgeon(I think? some doctor of his anyway) said, there's reason to be skeptical.

32 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I mean you can say they believed in him or you can say they didn't like any QB in FA(couldn't really afford Cousins or Smith long term without some serious cuts even if they did like them, looking at their cap situation right now) and were too far back in the draft to get a ready to play now guy so they stuck with Bortles. Bortles is what he is at this point, it's rare you see anyone get much better in season 5 and onward(not impossible, but rare).

I've seen so many teams do the same BS with mediocre QBs, even the Titans. Kept Jake Locker around cause every so often he'd show you something, despite the fact that he was always ridiculously inconsistent and as injury prone as any QB I've ever seen. Kept Vince Young around despite his numerous examples of being a mental midget and inconsistent passer, because again, a few games he looked like he might be special.

If you're still ridiculously inconsistent 3 or 4 seasons in to your career(should probably judge that more by starts than overall seasons, but you get the point), you're probably always going to be.

The point most are making, or at least I am, is Bridgewater, again assuming his knee is fine, is consistently average. Which if your team is going to be built entirely on running the football and playing great defense is a far better alternative to someone who yeah sometimes looks average, sometimes looks very good even, then other times plays like he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Bortles at his best is a better QB than Bridgewater. Problem for Bortles and the Jags is Bortles also has games where his play loses his team the game. Again, it's the difference between a 10-6 team and a 12-4/13-3 one. The difference between a 3/4 seed or wildcard spot and a first round bye.

And I don't know if the Jags saying no to Bridgewater in FA is necessarily because they didn't like Bridgewater. That could potentially be the reason, but the reason could also be they thought there's no way his knee holds up. And if you read what his surgeon(I think? some doctor of his anyway) said, there's reason to be skeptical.

I have a hard time believing we didn't see any QB as an upgrade via the draft/FA if we did think lowly of Blake and what he did last year. It's possible, but I'd guess the chances are minuscule. 

Cousins definitely would have broke the bank, but again, we're in a window. Would we have lost some talent by paying him? Yes. But if they seriously believe Bortles was not an average QB/a solid QB who managed the game very well while limiting the turnovers (while having zero in the playoffs as I mentioned before which is a pretty large deal I'd say), why would they not look for some type of alternative of some fashion and let a year waste away with one of if not the best defense in the league and a young stud RB?

Most every QB is going to cost teams a game or two at least every year. Point is, I don't remember that many where I looked at the game and put it right on Blake. In previous years? Sure, of course. He's had some rough ones. But if we're basing things on last year (we are), then the hate is unwarranted. He got paid because of what he did. As you said, we're going into year 5, we aren't "expecting" a sudden breakthrough. We put him in a different role last year (not having him play backyard ball, but manage the offense and be smart with the ball) and he played well enough to deserve a 2nd contract.

He had (as I talked about before) very inexperience and lacking weapons for the most part for someone that is a game manager. When you want to play football like the Jaguars do, you don't want the guys he's leaning on to be mistake free/make plays themselves as rookie WR's (Cole, Dede), and waiver pickups (O'Shaugnessy, Mickens). If you want to be aboard the train that thinks Marqise Lee was a "good #2" last season then fine, but regardless, it was quite lacking veteran wise outside of Lee and Marcedes who was just cut this past offseason.

Archived