What team do you think would trade for Teddy Bridgewater?

DoleINGout

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

IF a GM is willing to give up a 3rd round pick for Bridgewater, they need to be fired on the spot.

IF you're unable to understand the importance of having a competent backup QB, then you should be fired from watching football tbh iyam imo.

You think Green Bay doesnt wish it had a better contingency plan for Rodgers than Hundley? Or Oakland doesnt regret having Connor Cook as Carr's backup?

Call me crazy, but I think having a quarterback who can come in and keep your team competitive (or maybe help you win a SB and also win a SB MVP award) is more important than one freaking second day draft pick

Insane how overvalued draft picks are around here. You know which teams dont value draft picks as much as others'? New England, Philly, Seattle, LA Rams......And what kind of teams overvalue them? *Ahem* Cleveland. 

Sorry, but I disagree with you here. Having a competent backup QB is one of the most valuable things in the NFL.

I mean look at what some teams have at their backup QB spot around the league.....Miami has freaking Osweiler and Fales. And what makes that even more indefensible is that their starter has a history of injuries. 

Rumors are Jets reached our about Fowler recently.  A TB for Fowler swap makes so much sense.  Both are on expiring deals, both likely won't be back with current teams and both could use upgrades at the positions being traded.  Fowler immediately becomes the Jets best rusher in an area of weakness and TB becomes a great backup to push Bortles for a team looking for a Superbowl run.  I mean it just makes too much sense from both sides.  

Only reason not to do it is maybe Jac doesn't want to rattle Bortles with an addition like TB behind him. 

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

IF you're unable to understand the importance of having a competent backup QB, then you should be fired from watching football tbh iyam imo.

You think Green Bay doesnt wish it had a better contingency plan for Rodgers than Hundley? Or Oakland doesnt regret having Connor Cook as Carr's backup?

Call me crazy, but I think having a quarterback who can come in and keep your team competitive (or maybe help you win a SB and also win a SB MVP award) is more important than one freaking second day draft pick

Insane how overvalued draft picks are around here. You know which teams dont value draft picks as much as others'? New England, Philly, Seattle, LA Rams......And what kind of teams overvalue them? *Ahem* Cleveland. 

Sorry, but I disagree with you here. Having a competent backup QB is one of the most valuable things in the NFL.

I mean look at what some teams have at their backup QB spot around the league.....Miami has freaking Osweiler and Fales. And what makes that even more indefensible is that their starter has a history of injuries. 

IF Teddy Bridgewater had a proven history of playing like a good (or great) QB and your QB had a long injury history, sure.  But he doesn't.  Add on the fact that he's only signed to a 1 year deal, and you're giving up a long-term asset for a marginal upgrade this year.  Losing Rodgers was the best thing to happen for the Packers, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think Bridgewater can come in and play anywhere near his level.  They're not Super Bowl contenders with Bridgwater at QB.  Hell, they might not be much better than the Lions or Bears tbh.

You point to how teams like New England, Philadelphia, etc. don't value draft picks, and that's patently false.  Look at how each team was built.  They were built on draft picks.  New England probably the least of the bunch.  Do you think Philadelphia is where they are if they don't draft Carson Wentz?  How about the Rams if they don't draft Jared Goff?  We've seen teams who don't utilize their draft picks like Dan Snyder several years ago.  The results weren't pretty.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Rumors are Jets reached our about Fowler recently.  A TB for Fowler swap makes so much sense.  Both are on expiring deals, both likely won't be back with current teams and both could use upgrades at the positions being traded.  Fowler immediately becomes the Jets best rusher in an area of weakness and TB becomes a great backup to push Bortles for a team looking for a Superbowl run.  I mean it just makes too much sense from both sides.  

Only reason not to do it is maybe Jac doesn't want to rattle Bortles with an addition like TB behind him. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Teddy for Fowler is a great trade for both teams. 

If we wanted Teddy we would've signed him in FA. Trading Fowler for Teddy wouldn't make any sense. One would actually help right now and the other wouldn't see the field.

If it's a 3rd or so, sure. Trading Fowler who is a solid rotational edge that sees a lot of the field for a backup QB would be dumb.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Honestly, I think the biggest reason not to do it would be the Jags don't want to subtract from their depth on defense. Fowler doesn't start, but he plays important, meaningful snaps in passing situations. That rotation and depth is important to keep guys fresh and performing well. Also, the Jags were very durable and healthy on defense last year. Possible that could continue, but not something I would bank on. 

While I agree that Fowler is likely gone after the year is done, I think they get more value from Fowler this year to push all in on the super bowl run than they do with Teddy B. If Bortles gets hurt or is really bad they can revisit, but at this point in time I'm probably not making that deal from a Jags perspective. 

Any team in the league would (or certainly should) be interested in Teddy as a backup.  The thing is, he is better than a backup, and he wants to be a starter somewhere.  If I were he, I would wait for some starting QB to go down with an injury and seek a trade to that team to get a chance to show what he can do.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If we wanted Teddy we would've signed him in FA. Trading Fowler for Teddy wouldn't make any sense. One would actually help right now and the other wouldn't see the field.

If it's a 3rd or so, sure. Trading Fowler who is a solid rotational edge that sees a lot of the field for a backup QB would be dumb.

To follow this up, for those of you who have a strong dislike for Bortles fine, but we love the guy in JAX and we saw a good amount of improvement last year. Played his best ball in the playoffs and was turnover free. We aren't replacing him with Teddy who was there for everyone to get in FA this past spring. Blake is Marrone/Coughlin/Caldwell's guy.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Any team in the league would (or certainly should) be interested in Teddy as a backup.  The thing is, he is better than a backup, and he wants to be a starter somewhere.  If I were he, I would wait for some starting QB to go down with an injury and seek a trade to that team to get a chance to show what he can do.

Well, any team isn't going to much care about what he wants. Honestly, Teddy just seems too nice for it to matter LOL. Like, if I'm a team looking to acquire him, I feel reasonably sure that even if he's coming in as a back up, he's going to play the good soldier. 

And sure, I'd agree that Jax could and should potentially be interested. Not at a cost that subtracts from a super bowl contending roster though. That's doesn't make much sense to me. Fowler plays an important role on that defense for depth purposes. 

I think if you're acquiring a roster player from the Jags in any trade for Teddy B, its going to be a more speculative play. Maybe someone like Smoot. Hasn't had an opportunity to show what he can really do, plays about 20-25% of the snaps, but has some upside (and I'm just picking that name at random as a guy who may have some upside, but hasn't had a chance to really display it - I have no idea what he has shown for Jax, whether he's in line for an expanded role or whatever, so Jags fans don't jump down my throat) 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, any team isn't going to much care about what he wants. Honestly, Teddy just seems too nice for it to matter LOL. Like, if I'm a team looking to acquire him, I feel reasonably sure that even if he's coming in as a back up, he's going to play the good soldier. 

And sure, I'd agree that Jax could and should potentially be interested. Not at a cost that subtracts from a super bowl contending roster though. That's doesn't make much sense to me. Fowler plays an important role on that defense for depth purposes. 

I think if you're acquiring a roster player from the Jags in any trade for Teddy B, its going to be a more speculative play. Maybe someone like Smoot. Hasn't had an opportunity to show what he can really do, plays about 20-25% of the snaps, but has some upside (and I'm just picking that name at random as a guy who may have some upside, but hasn't had a chance to really display it - I have no idea what he has shown for Jax, whether he's in line for an expanded role or whatever, so Jags fans don't jump down my throat) 

Jacksonville would be a great place for Teddy to play.  It's hard to put a value on him because of his injury, but if you could get him for the right price, it could be an incredibly high reward for your team. 

There is a 0% chance the Jags would trade Fowler for Teddy. 

If the Jags liked Teddy that much (which they don’t), they could have signed him a couple of months ago.

Talk about wishful thinking, geez.

The Jags would much rather have Fowler in a contract year, motivated to get a big contract in FA and net them a comp pick in return than a guy who probably won’t even see the field.

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF Teddy Bridgewater had a proven history of playing like a good (or great) QB and your QB had a long injury history, sure.  But he doesn't.  Add on the fact that he's only signed to a 1 year deal, and you're giving up a long-term asset for a marginal upgrade this year.  Losing Rodgers was the best thing to happen for the Packers, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think Bridgewater can come in and play anywhere near his level.  They're not Super Bowl contenders with Bridgwater at QB.  Hell, they might not be much better than the Lions or Bears tbh.

You point to how teams like New England, Philadelphia, etc. don't value draft picks, and that's patently false.  Look at how each team was built.  They were built on draft picks.  New England probably the least of the bunch.  Do you think Philadelphia is where they are if they don't draft Carson Wentz?  How about the Rams if they don't draft Jared Goff?  We've seen teams who don't utilize their draft picks like Dan Snyder several years ago.  The results weren't pretty.

Did Bradford ever have a history of playing good football consistently and staying healthy? No. But it didnt stop a team with what many consider a top GM to trade us a 1st round pick for him. 

People around here, again, sometimes just completely are off when it comes to a players' value in their eyes and the players ACTUAL value, ie among NFL front offices. 

And I dont quite get the point youre trying to make with Green Bay. They are a pretty bad example here (and I'm partially to blame bc I brought them up too) because Rodgers makes them an outlier of a team. 

You think that Houston wouldn't love to have had Bridgewater last season backing up Watson? Pretty sure most of their fans would gladly give up a 3rd rounder then for this version of Teddy. Because they would have been a playoff team with a healthy Bridgewater. (which btw, is not anywhere near the long term asset you think it is....finding a long term, above average starter there in the draft isnt easy).

Same with Tennessee when they lost MM, Oakland when they lost Carr, etc. Look at the Rams. They are one Goff injury away from freaking Sean Mannion as their starting QB. Not saying they specifically should trade for Teddy, but it shows how hard it is to have a competent backup QB. Teddy is that, at at the very worst. 

And as for teams devaluing draft picks....absolutely I am right. Im not talking about the 1st or 2nd overall pick of a draft dude. Goff and Wentz dont apply here.

Im talking about late 1st rounders/2nd/3rd round and later picks being traded more frequently than ever for young players.

Just to name a few....

LA trading Gaines and a 2nd for Sammy Watkins

LA trading a 1st for Cooks

NE trading a 1st for Cooks

Philly trading a 3rd and Jordan Matthews for Ronald Darby

Philly trading a 5th for Jay Ajayi

Philly swapping 3rd round picks (the equivalent to like a 6th round pick) with Balt for Jernigan

Thats just off the top of my head. It is something that is new, but youre nuts if you dont think that the amount of pick for player trades will spike exponentially over the next few years. 

We literally got Ajayi, Darby, and Jernigan all in one season and all 3 were significant contributors to our SB win. 

And Im very much happy with what we got out of Ajayi for what we gave up even if he were to never play another down for us.

And that's a freaking solid to good running back!

Back up QB is more important than your 2nd/3rd RB. Far more important. 

And Teddy is actually much better than just a good back up IMO. 

56 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

To follow this up, for those of you who have a strong dislike for Bortles fine, but we love the guy in JAX and we saw a good amount of improvement last year. Played his best ball in the playoffs and was turnover free. We aren't replacing him with Teddy who was there for everyone to get in FA this past spring. Blake is Marrone/Coughlin/Caldwell's guy.

While completing 57% of his passes.  Great job not turning the ball over but he's still a liability and will likely be the reason you guys don't make the superbowl.  With a lights out defense in tack for who knows how much longer there's no better time than now to go all in.  Not saying Teddy is the answer but I'm pretty sure Bortles isn't.

Archived