Hankins coming in for a workout

buno67

25 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why hasn’t he been signed by now? Still hurt?

His agents are the Poston brothers. 

they had Winslow his rookie year, they wanted Charles Rogers money from the year before who was the number 2 pick, when Winsow was the 7th or 8th pick. 

Unfortunately for guys like Hankins and Danny Shelton, being the big, space-eating, run-stuffing, Dtackle with little pass rush, is the least valued it's ever been. If you can't bring heat on a QB, you might as well be a fullback, or a blocking TE with no catching skills, or a salad on my dinner table; there's a place for you, but barely.

8 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

If we do sign him, I'd throw it in the "flyer" category.  He's not known as the hardest worker on the planet, so I can't imagine he's in great shape.

It also tells me they're not thrilled with what they have.

Or coleys ankle is worse than they thought 

16 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Unfortunately for guys like Hankins and Danny Shelton, being the big, space-eating, run-stuffing, Dtackle with little pass rush, is the least valued it's ever been. If you can't bring heat on a QB, you might as well be a fullback, or a blocking TE with no catching skills, or a salad on my dinner table; there's a place for you, but barely.

Hankins had 7 sacks in a year before.

22 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Hankins has some pass rush ability, 12 sacks in 67 games.

Shelton didn't pop his sack cherry till year 2 and has 1.5 sacks in 44 games. 

They are different players really. 

I agree with your assessment though, they both don't have great positional value in the league. But I only want Hankins to play on 1st down and running and short yardage situations. 

50 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Hankins has some pass rush ability, 12 sacks in 67 games.

Shelton didn't pop his sack cherry till year 2 and has 1.5 sacks in 44 games. 

They are different players really. 

I agree with your assessment though, they both don't have great positional value in the league. But I only want Hankins to play on 1st down and running and short yardage situations. 

You're right as well. Danny is completely devoid of pass rush. Almost allergic to it.

I wanted the Browns to sign Hankins for the past 2 offseasons. This could finally be it!!

Like  @Kiwibrown stated he provides a little more punch getting pressure than Shelton could and is not just a big fat guy for run stopping. Fresh, talented players rotating on the d-line makes me giddy. No wearing down late in games the more playable bodies you have.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol its funny how the Browns traded Shelton because they wanted to get more interior push---then they watched training camp and 1 preseason game and were like 'just kidding bring a big fat guy back for early downs'

To me the difference is they got a 3rd for Shelton, Hankins can be had for nothing more than some unused cap space.

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To me the difference is they got a 3rd for Shelton, Hankins can be had for nothing more than some unused cap space.

That's my thinking as well. Plus, Hankins does offer a bit more in terms of a pass rush than Shelton ever did.

22 minutes ago, DawgX said:

That's my thinking as well. Plus, Hankins does offer a bit more in terms of a pass rush than Shelton ever did.

Hindsight is 20/20

Granted we haven't signed him yet, but if a deal goes through, I will have no problem with the Shelton trade.

I did think we were a little weak at DT depth when the trade happened, and didn't know who our starters would be. (Coley didn't impress me and Meder isn't a starter in the NFL, I liked Ogunjobi but Calib hadn't come into his own yet)

I think our team improves but I think this was another consistent strike against us as an origination for being able to keep our own impact starters.  Danny might not have been the pass rusher, but he was definitely an impact on the run defense, and his constant ability to require double teams opened up pass rushing lanes for the linebackers...

Archived