Preseason Week 3 - GDT vs. Oakland

Leader

I only made it through the first half. It was just too late. Glad I missed the second half. I guess we were due for a terrible preseason game, after the first two were pretty entertaining. The terrible play by the backup offensive linemen made it impossible to really evaluate the other offensive players. Hundley looked as bad as he did last year, but that may have been because of the bad protection, and his receivers may not have been getting open anyway. J'Mon Moore caught four passes, and I don't think he dropped any. A couple of very nice catches by Geronimo Allison, who is easily the #3 receiver in case anyone is wondering. Reggie Gilbert had an awesome sack, bull-rushing the Raiders' starting right tackle Donald Penn. Great interceptions by Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson (pick-six nullified by a penalty on the other side of the field). J.K. Scott punted well in the first half, but not as good in the second half. The coaches love him though, so everything's cool. They busted Vogel's balls every time he had a bad punt. Only one more week of torture listening to James Lofton's color commentary. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If Gute is not actively trying to bring in  OT in the next two weeks, you start questioning his thought process. Same at ILB even if Burks is only out a few weeks. Way too thin there, and there's no reason to be.

You seriously have to bring an ilb in at this point I'd imagine. IDK how you avoid that unless Ted is still the GM

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If Gute is not actively trying to bring in  OT in the next two weeks, you start questioning his thought process. Same at ILB even if Burks is only out a few weeks. Way too thin there, and there's no reason to be.

ILB I can see.  

With the severe shortage of quality OT's in the NFL, I don't think it is likely that you will find anything better for this season.  Maybe he can bring in a developmental player with a potential for a high ceiling, but I really doubt there will be any help for this year.

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

You seriously have to bring an ilb in at this point I'd imagine. IDK how you avoid that unless Ted is still the GM

At least the backup ILB played half way decent. 

OL was atrocious. As someone said here OT is pretty thin in the NFL but I have to believe other teams garbage is better than ours. Watch the cuts next week. 

5 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

At least the backup ILB played half way decent. 

OL was atrocious. As someone said here OT is pretty thin in the NFL but I have to believe other teams garbage is better than ours. Watch the cuts next week. 

I'm not saying they won't claim an OL by any means. I felt the actual depth was alright until this game though

13 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

ILB I can see.  

With the severe shortage of quality OT's in the NFL, I don't think it is likely that you will find anything better for this season.  Maybe he can bring in a developmental player with a potential for a high ceiling, but I really doubt there will be any help for this year.

Nah, I think there will be some options out there when guys get cut next week. Some vet cuts, journeymen, there always is. At this point, we only really have 3 tackles on the entire team, the two starters and Spriggs. The rest of the entire OL group is comprised of guards trying to play tackle. Personally, if the Packers don't address the position, in an in-game emergency where Spriggs is already in the game, I'm kicking out Taylor or McCray to the other tackle position and inserting Bell or Patrick at guard. Spriggs is at least competent enough to be our top backup at RT and LT, but after that, our next best tackles on the team are our two starting guards. 

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm not saying they won't claim an OL by any means. I felt the actual depth was alright until this game though

No tackle depth other than Spriggs. Murphy, Bell and even Pankey are not really tackles. We just keep trying to make them tackles. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No tackle depth other than Spriggs. Murphy, Bell and even Pankey are not really tackles. We just keep trying to make them tackles. 

Can't defend Murphy last night but he's not far worse than your average reserve tackle. Few teams have starting caliber tackles riding pine man. If you think spriggs is one, now we want two. That's not really how that works usually

If the Packers don't find their ILB on the street, the name to keep in mind is Kendricks. He just signed a month ago with Cleveland, but I've watched a lot of Cleveland preseason football (being in Cleveland) and Kendricks appears to be set for 2nd string at best and therefore may be expendable. The Browns are set with Collins, Kirksey and Schobert as their starting ILBs and James Burgess is a solid young backup in the middle. Kendricks has basically been playing with the 2nd unit, and with that kind of depth, the Packers (a) could wait to see if he maybe gets cut, (b) throw the Browns a conditional pick to snag him. 

Archived