Preseason Week 3 - GDT vs. Oakland

Leader

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Haven't missed a Packers game in over 10 years my man. 

What are you trying to say, over-reaction Saturday? 

Kind of, yeah. People probably wanted a better ot than him already but nobody was losing their marbles over him as the fourth until this game

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

Kizer is the back up for 2019 and beyond (maybe).  Still think the staff trusts Hundley to be the back up in 2018.  Not sure I agree with that, but that is the sense that I get from the games and TC talk by the beat writers.

Yes, after making that trade I can't see Gute cutting Kizer any time soon.  I wish we could see #9 with more starters next week.

39 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The tackle problem brings up the Cole Madison debacle. Really think his absence is hurting us there. Again, he's another guard, not a tackle, but he would have been another guy who maybe could have served as a backup tackle if given the chance. 

Hey, I noticed TJ Lang wasn't in the line up for the Lions.  Does anyone know why and if he's cut, do you bring him back?  

57 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers don't find their ILB on the street, the name to keep in mind is Kendricks. He just signed a month ago with Cleveland, but I've watched a lot of Cleveland preseason football (being in Cleveland) and Kendricks appears to be set for 2nd string at best and therefore may be expendable. The Browns are set with Collins, Kirksey and Schobert as their starting ILBs and James Burgess is a solid young backup in the middle. Kendricks has basically been playing with the 2nd unit, and with that kind of depth, the Packers (a) could wait to see if he maybe gets cut, (b) throw the Browns a conditional pick to snag him. 

That's a great idea wish someone could tweet that to Gute.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Didn't see much last night from either MVS or EQ, but it's hard to tell whether they were not getting open or whether they were but Hundley/Kizer were already dead when it happened. 

We may not have been able to see much on the TV video, but the coaches will see how the routes were run, were they in the correct spot, at the proper time.  Did they make the proper adjustment given the coverage, etc.  There was still good reps against the Raiders #1 DB (at least I think it was the #1DB's)

I'm not sure much of anything can be taken from this game on the offensive side other than to say the OL depth definitely does not go 10 deep.  No surprises there, you can say the same about every team in the league.  Not like every OL was getting beaten on every play, but at least one of the five were getting beaten on most.  Tough to evaluate any other position on offense when that's happening.  Moore is probably the only fringe player who helped himself, but his bar was set pretty low coming in.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

How in the H E double toothpicks can you injure your shoulder during warm-us??  :(

Beats the heck out of me. Some people have mentioned jumping jacks, but I'm pretty sure they're joking. I can't say I have a better explanation, though. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Nah, I think there will be some options out there when guys get cut next week. Some vet cuts, journeymen, there always is. At this point, we only really have 3 tackles on the entire team, the two starters and Spriggs. The rest of the entire OL group is comprised of guards trying to play tackle. Personally, if the Packers don't address the position, in an in-game emergency where Spriggs is already in the game, I'm kicking out Taylor or McCray to the other tackle position and inserting Bell or Patrick at guard. Spriggs is at least competent enough to be our top backup at RT and LT, but after that, our next best tackles on the team are our two starting guards. 

There is a reason though that this is the case- the league is struggling to find tackles that can play.  Colleges are not producing guys that are ready.

You may feel that Bell is a guard, but he was brought in to provide that extra tackle depth that you are looking for, and guys that will be available will be like him.

Fixing tackle is going to be a long term issue unless you get very, very lucky.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

There is a reason though that this is the case- the league is struggling to find tackles that can play. 

And Das Gute said exactly that when he was asked the specific question: "What are the chances of finding a viable back up OT at cutdowns ? 
He said, chances are not good at all and that's why you have to get the Big Guys sooner.

But the uninformed fans are absolutely certain that there's this Deep Well of available talent and that the Packers are just too stubborn or stupid to grab one. Its why they are always so unhappy;  because they have unrealistic expectations that are never met.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

And Das Gute said exactly that when he was asked the specific question: "What are the chances of finding a viable back up OT at cutdowns ? 
He said, chances are not good at all and that's why you have to get the Big Guys sooner.

But the uninformed fans are absolutely certain that there's this Deep Well of available talent and that the Packers are just too stubborn or stupid to grab one. Its why they are always so unhappy;  because they have unrealistic expectations that are never met.

I agree 100%, but it is more than Das Gute saying it.  In the last two years I have heard it from multiple coaches and GM's.

The proliferation of spread offenses in college, and the limitation on padded practices in the NFL has made so few tackles come out ready to play, and they aren't able to get enough practice reps to get better fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the situation at backup tackle.  It seems to me though, that the solution is not quick or easy.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The proliferation of spread offenses in college, and the limitation on padded practices in the NFL has made so few tackles come out ready to play, and they aren't able to get enough practice reps to get better fast enough.

Yup. A former OL wrote about this in great depth, might have been Ross Tucker or Geoff Schwartz. Its a real problem facing all teams - some of whom are struggling to find starters, let alone competent back-ups.

Archived