Colin Kaepernick

DingoLadd

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Kaepernick will be in the AAF or XFL. The guy should of went to the CFL.. I understand no one wants to live in Canada but if you really wanna try to get back in the NFL, showcase your talent in another league. Maybe he really wasn't that hungry and even Manziel has more of a football drive. 

lol he wont be allowed in the XFL

5 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

I also have a feeling as @ET80 pointed out his arm could be a noodle.  He also lost a lot of weight during that time supposedly too so maybe he just was never able to recover the athleticism and arm strength he had.

I think he turned into a Vegan and that's why he lost the weight.  He says he didn't lose the weight because of the diet but come on, it's not just a coincidence.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, DingoLadd said:

I'm here to talk about how good of a good QB he was at the top of his game. 

The guy has like 8 good games sprinkled throughout his entire career.  By and large he wasn't very good and easily one of the most inconsistent QBs I've ever seen.

At the top of his game Colin Kaepernick was 1 play away from being a superbowl winning QB in his 2nd season with less than 11 starts that season.

He played well that year, but, that team was stacked.  All he had to do was not screw up.  He got worse every year from that point on...

He followed up that season with two pretty solid seasons. 

Meh... I guess that depends on what you call 'solid'...

2013 - 58% completion rate for the year;  In 12 games he failed to throw for at least 250 yards.

2014 - 8 games with a sub 60% completion rate; In 13 games he failed to throw for at least 250 yards; Only 4 games of multiple TD passes

Just by the numbers, this looks like a guy that's just barely getting it done IMO.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, PapaShogun said:

Good quarterback in Harbaugh's offense. Gave us a MUCH better chance to win the Super Bowl compared to Alex Smith at the time. Which is why we got there with a worse squad compared to the previous season.

When the talent started to dwindle, so did he. He wasn't someone that was going to throw guys open. I don't really agree with the notion that he was a "one read" quarterback or only threw to his first option though. I just don't think he could carry a lackluster squad, which was evident in 2014. 

He hasn't been on a well rounded team since. He's absolutely gifted enough to be a backup quarterback somewhere. Unfortunately, he's been blackballed by the NFL after his political crusade. Probably won't play again. At least not in the NFL. 

That's heresy, but for what it's worth, Alex Smith had the team at 6-2, 13 TDs to 5 INTs, with nearly a 70% completion rate before his injury and subsequent benching. 

As for being 'blackballed', wasn't it Kaepernick who opted out of his (more than generous) contract with the 49ers?   Then, despite the circus he'd bring, the Broncos, Jags, Bills, Texans, Ravens, and Cardinals were all rumored to be interested in signing him.  Supposedly, 2 teams offered him contracts in 2017 that he ultimately turned down...

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:27 AM, DingoLadd said:

I think he's solid starting QB with the right system in place and a solid supporting cast, not a good backup because he's a guy you have to adjust your offense for quite a bit.

So in other words, in order for Kaepernick to be a serviceable starter, he has to have a coach willing to change his entire philosophy and adjust his playbook to suit his deficiencies as a passer.  Then you'd have to ensure the rest of the team is stacked with surrounding talent to hide said deficiencies.

And he wouldn't make a good backup because of all of the adjustments you'd have to make to the offense in the event you had to put him in the game.

You pretty much just outlined why he's not in the NFL...

6 hours ago, frenchie said:

That's heresy, but for what it's worth, Alex Smith had the team at 6-2, 13 TDs to 5 INTs, with nearly a 70% completion rate before his injury and subsequent benching

As for being 'blackballed', wasn't it Kaepernick who opted out of his (more than generous) contract with the 49ers?   Then, despite the circus he'd bring, the Broncos, Jags, Bills, Texans, Ravens, and Cardinals were all rumored to be interested in signing him.  Supposedly, 2 teams offered him contracts in 2017 that he ultimately turned down...

No, it's simple to understand. We got there with a worse team when Colin took over. Especially on defense late in the year. Colin was playing better ball when he took over period. From the moment he first started against Chicago, we actually started to pass the ball down the field. Davis, Walker, Ginn, and Moss were been utilized as deep threats. Posting Alex's basic stat line doesn't tell the entire story. Colin had better numbers anyway. 15 total touchdowns in less games. He had a higher DYAR and DOVA too. He was a much bigger threat on the ground, and took less sacks. Alex had his opportunity to get the 49ers to the Super Bowl the previous season, and didn't come through. Colin did, doing so on the road playing spectacularly.

When Colin left the 49ers the entire kneeling situation had already happened. The only team that really had interest was Denver, who wanted him to take a 42 percent paycut. That was before the kneeling situation. Since then, no team other than Seattle has even brought him in for a workout. Meanwhile, guys like Tim Tebow, Josh Johnson who hasn't thrown an NFL pass since 2011, and already retired Kyle Orton have garnered interest by teams desperate within the last year while Colin K was available. Colin isn't a great quarterback, but he should be on an NFL roster somewhere. At least brought in for a workout. Due to recent political climate though, teams won't touch him. 

During all the hullabaloo I think a lot of people who didnt watch football thought he was some great player being blackballed. He wasnt. He was okay. Not great. Without the distractions, he would have found a spot on a team as a backup. With the distractions, he simply isnt good enough to spend a roster spot on. He was inconsistent, fundamentally lazy, inaccurate and getting old for a QB who relies on his legs to mask his inefficiencies. 

His points per drive in 2016 was 1.5. That is hideous. He was 4-20 in his last 24 starts. When replaced by Blaine Gabbert, there was no noticeable difference.

The 2013 49ers may have been 1 play from the Super Bowl, but they were just as good without Kaepernick the year before (2 punt muffs from Kyle Williams kept them from the Super Bowl)

Alex Smith was playing better than Kaepernick in 2013 and he came off a season where he out-dueled Drew Brees in a playoff shootout.

Smith was a 100 rated playoff passer who ran the ball for 10 yards a pop, but Harbaugh was smarter than everyone else.

Kaepernick's last moment on a big stage was a 4 turnover performance vs Seattle in the NFCCG. His entire reign of 'dominance' was 23 regular season NFL starts where he averaged under 200 yards passing per game and the league has become a pass first sport.

Kaepernick was like Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, but without the win. He dominated for a short while on a fantastic team. The second that team was not better than every other team they played, Kaepernick fell apart.

Kaepernick has his 2 Green Bay playoff games like Timmy Smith has his Super Bowl... except without the win of course.

No one is owed a QB job in the NFL. Dilfer lost his job after winning a Super Bowl when he was 7-1 in the regular season and 4-0 in the playoffs. The team went in another direction. 32 teams went in another direction in this case.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:14 PM, Non-Issue said:

During all the hullabaloo I think a lot of people who didnt watch football thought he was some great player being blackballed. He wasnt. He was okay. Not great. Without the distractions, he would have found a spot on a team as a backup. With the distractions, he simply isnt good enough to spend a roster spot on. He was inconsistent, fundamentally lazy, inaccurate and getting old for a QB who relies on his legs to mask his inefficiencies. 

This.... He was not a franchise QB anymore or at least needed to turn his career around. He was anywhere from a stopgap/prove it to me starter to a premium back up. Not the worst spot to be in. HOWEVER, the controversy meant he wasn't important or valuable enough to put up with the drama and any potential blow back. 

This is like arguing that Rich Kotite deserved another job after finishing out 4-35 in his last 39 games because:

• He was 21-11 in his first 2 years
  • He won a playoff game
  • He was voted coach of the year.

He proved completely unable to do his job and alienated people, but hey, lets not black ball Richie the K!

On 8/22/2018 at 4:32 PM, PapaShogun said:

No, it's simple to understand. We got there with a worse team when Colin took over. Especially on defense late in the year. Colin was playing better ball when he took over period. From the moment he first started against Chicago, we actually started to pass the ball down the field. Davis, Walker, Ginn, and Moss were been utilized as deep threats. Posting Alex's basic stat line doesn't tell the entire story. Colin had better numbers anyway. 15 total touchdowns in less games. He had a higher DYAR and DOVA too. He was a much bigger threat on the ground, and took less sacks. Alex had his opportunity to get the 49ers to the Super Bowl the previous season, and didn't come through. Colin did, doing so on the road playing spectacularly.

When Colin left the 49ers the entire kneeling situation had already happened. The only team that really had interest was Denver, who wanted him to take a 42 percent paycut. That was before the kneeling situation. Since then, no team other than Seattle has even brought him in for a workout. Meanwhile, guys like Tim Tebow, Josh Johnson who hasn't thrown an NFL pass since 2011, and already retired Kyle Orton have garnered interest by teams desperate within the last year while Colin K was available. Colin isn't a great quarterback, but he should be on an NFL roster somewhere. At least brought in for a workout. Due to recent political climate though, teams won't touch him. 

This is the constant refrain I hear about Kaepernick and I honestly don't get it?  The teams have every right to decide they don't want any particular player for any particular reason, so he doesn't "deserve" anything from the NFL.  You could be the greatest performer in your field but if the boss simply doesn't like you for whatever reason, they aren't obligated to hire you.  In Colin's case, his ability as a QB simply doesn't overcome the circus and distractions that any team signing him would have to deal with.  Simple as that.

5 hours ago, megatechpc said:

This is the constant refrain I hear about Kaepernick and I honestly don't get it?  The teams have every right to decide they don't want any particular player for any particular reason, so he doesn't "deserve" anything from the NFL.  You could be the greatest performer in your field but if the boss simply doesn't like you for whatever reason, they aren't obligated to hire you.  In Colin's case, his ability as a QB simply doesn't overcome the circus and distractions that any team signing him would have to deal with.  Simple as that.

He should be on an NFL roster when you look at the other talent that has been available, and given opportunities. That's the point. When Josh Johnson, Kyle Orton, and Tebow are leapfroging Colin, by teams desperate to fill our their roster on the QB position, then more than an issue of talent. If the entire kneeling thing never happened we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Which I already stated, and you stated in your last sentence. So I'm not sure why you're quoting me. He's good enough to be on a roster talent wise. Which is simply what I'm talking about. The talent factor. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

He should be on an NFL roster when you look at the other talent that has been available, and given opportunities. That's the point. When Josh Johnson, Kyle Orton, and Tebow are leapfroging Colin, by teams desperate to fill our their roster on the QB position, then more than an issue of talent. If the entire kneeling thing never happened we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Which I already stated, and you stated in your last sentence. So I'm not sure why you're quoting me. He's good enough to be on a roster talent wise. Which is simply what I'm talking about. The talent factor. 

Yeah, he's not great, but there are dozens of worse QBs still with jobs.

41 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

Yeah, he's not great, but there are dozens of worse QBs still with jobs.

I mean some of the starting QBs in the NFL aren't as good as Kaepernick from 2016 (Fitzpatrick, *Insert jets starter*, Case Keenum, Bortles, *Rookie QB* etc.) 

The backup QB situation in the NFL is atrocious once you dig past the 48th QB spot. 

15 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't think anybody is saying that Colin wouldn't be on a roster if he didn't have any of the non-football related issues that he does.  What we are saying is that having a job in the NFL is not based solely on talent alone and that teams have every right to not want to bring the guy in when they know all the issues that signing him would entail.  If his talent was at the level of a Russell Wilson (or even Cam Newton, Derek Carr, etc) there is no question he'd have his pick of a dozen teams to choose from, off-field issues be damned.  But his current talent level would still be in the bottom-half of starting QBs in the league right now and that is simply not worth the hassle of signing him at this point.  

3 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I don't think anybody is saying that Colin wouldn't be on a roster if he didn't have any of the non-football related issues that he does.  What we are saying is that having a job in the NFL is not based solely on talent alone and that teams have every right to not want to bring the guy in when they know all the issues that signing him would entail.  If his talent was at the level of a Russell Wilson (or even Cam Newton, Derek Carr, etc) there is no question he'd have his pick of a dozen teams to choose from, off-field issues be damned.  But his current talent level would still be in the bottom-half of starting QBs in the league right now and that is simply not worth the hassle of signing him at this point.  

You just contradicted yourself. 

Your last couple of replies were just backing up my initial point. So I don't get your stance. It's like I'm hearing myself talk now. 

Archived