Colin Kaepernick

DingoLadd

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Flawed QB with incredible gifts who was always going to have problems when the rest of the league caught up to him. FWIW, I want the Rams to sign him now as our backup QB. He's an elite backup and a guy who can be a competent enough starter.

Basically this. Had he been a more precise passer he would still be extremely dangerous, but he can easily be turned one-dimensional and then he is on par with other backups. Other backups then don't bring the same "noise" as Kaerpernick does. It still seems the Ravens where interested in him last year, but the noise around him was too much.

He was always a very flawed qb with a low football IQ. He was super slow with his decision making, he had zero touch with his passes, locked on to his #1 option too much, and he bailed on plays too fast even when he had a clean pocket.

When Kap had a good oline, his flaws were hidden, his confidence was high, and he killed the league. When his oline fell off, he got exposed as a qb and his confidence went to crap real fast. 

But to be fair, dude was a major project coming out of Nevada and the 49ers pretty much killed his development when they imploded in 2015. I still cant believe they got rid of harbs for tomsula.

Regardless of how I feel about his views and the stuff surrounding it, I would take him on the Steelers if Ben went down.   He would give us a better chance of winning (well, not sure about now given how long he has been out) than anyone we currently have at QB.

But if he started his BS....I would get rid of him fast.    He is not good enough to overlook the baggage and distraction he brings....and thats why alot of teams wont sign him at all.

Physical freak who fully took advantage of the read option bug that hit the NFL and took defenses a few years to figure out. However, he was never anything more than a slightly less freakish Falcons Vick. Always was a limited, 1 read, QB, and it's not surprising to see him no longer a starter in the league in 2018. Of course it is definitely shocking to see him jobless, and I don't believe that would have happened if not for the kneeling. However, as was the case with Tebow, the media firestorm and attention was not worth it to any team for a 2nd or 3rd string QB who would need his own offense and couldn't just be plugged and played.

He didn't have great touch or particularly good accuracy, but let's not forget he had an absolute rocket of an arm.

5 hours ago, Onizuka said:

Not saying they were the same, but, I think it was sort of like the RG3 scenario; where teams figured out how to game plan for his running ability. After that, I think it's what others stated; he did not have the accuracy and leadership that is needed to remain a starter in the league. 

I don't think some of his teammates really cared for him either. Alex Boone was not a very big fan of his. 

11 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I remember seeing him play in the preseason as a rookie and thinking, they took this guy in the second round? he looks like a 5th rounder to me. Not a great arm, not great at reads, good athlete but not like Mike Vick good.

He turned out better than that but even at his peak I never bought him as a real star QB, ever. Having said that, he belongs in the NFL and I'd say there are a few teams he would start for, easily.

Oh man, I remember that preseason, it was BAD. And truthfully he didn't look all that good the following preseason either. But once the real games started and he got his shot, he balled out. But a lot of Niner fans had the same thought as you watching him in preseason. Like yeah, this guy is a three year project before he is ready to step on the field. 

Had the Niners been able to keep their core together for a few more years, I always wondered how much more he could've developed as a QB under Harbaugh.  Probably not so much because the guy was never a great passer but the athleticism.

Also despite having a team in back of him, that guy made plays in big games.  With that dominant home performance vs Green Bay or the NFC Championship win at Atlanta or the upset of the Panthers, the one that stood out the most was that sub-zero temperature WC game at Green Bay where he had that clutch 4th quarter drive to march up the field to kick the gw field goal.

Obviously Kaepernick was not the best pocket passer, but in the right system where you base things around his ability to be faster than just about anyone on the field he was one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL - and he was competent from the pocket. Not great, but competent. Kaepernick always needed to work on his touch and his accuracy along with reads and progressions, but aside from that the guy was a dangerous QB who on any play could score with his legs or arm.

8 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Guy should be on a NFL roster, don't think he should be a starter but he could carve out a career as a good backup QB if given the chance. 

Why would an NFL hurt their brand? Kaepernick is the only player in the league that would cause a teams sales to decrease

It's not collusion, it's simply business. Kaepernick made himself unsignable. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Why would an NFL hurt their brand? Kaepernick is the only player in the league that would cause a teams sales to decrease

It's not collusion, it's simply business. Kaepernick made himself unsignable. 

It would depend on the quality of the player. If Aaron Rodgers started kneeling, don't think Packers fans would stop watching. Or any other fan that wanted to watch quality ball.

Unless you murder someone or beat a woman, talent will always get you a job

Archived