Redskins sign Adrian Peterson

49erurtaza

Good luck to AD in Washington.  I hope for the Redskins' sake he has enough left in the tank to give them some good play this year.  At the very least, he would be a good guy to have around for Guice while he is rehabbing from the injury.  Adrian's best season was the one after he had knee surgery.  Maybe he can give Guice some good advice along the way on what it takes to come back strong.

9 hours ago, Piquel said:

No but there will be 11 defenders guarding the check down.  I wouldn't count on Smith opening things up near the line of scrimmage. 

I’m not sure I understand, opening things up near the line of scrimmage?

Are you saying last years best downfield passing QB - even w/o counting Tyreke Hill  - can’t complete intermediate to deep passes?

That’s a falsehood that needs to go away.

57 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think Peterson has any interest in playing with a contender. He's always been about personal records, I think that's more relevant to him than chasing a ring at this point.

Then why did he sign to the Saints last offseason? It seems to me he wanted to go and play for a contender and to play with a franchise QB...

He only got upset in New Orleans because they weren’t playing him. After that happened, he wanted out, which is understandable for any competitor, especially one of Peterson’s standing.

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You're not alone in that thinking either. Do I think he will be the same HOF AP that he has been known for in years past? Absolutely not. Not at the age of 33. But I do think he could still be a good situational back. I remember people (even myself) saying Bettis was done, and look at what he did in his former years.  

I think the people who believe he is completely done and has been irrelevant for 2 years now are ignoring some important factors and situations that have occurred within that time frame. 

3 years ago he put up first team All-Pro numbers. A year later he gets injured and misses most of the season (and I don't think I need to remind everyone how resilient he is). Last year he gets signed to a Saints team who completely underutilized him and so he asks to be traded. At this point in the season, there weren't very many options out there, so he signs with an  Arizona team who didn't exactly have the best OL in the run game either. Or on offense at all, for that matter.

The point is, if the Skins use him wisely and the OL can create holes and hold their blocks at the second level -even just slightly better than they did last year- AP can make an impact. 

That’s right! We’re on the same page.

I don’t think anyone - even the most optimistic Redskins fan - expects AD to get near 1500 yards and have a pro bowl year, but many expect that he’ll be the Redskins best option. 

Last year the Redskins running backs - not named Chris Thompson - had 270 carries and they averaged 3.4 ypc, if AD can just squeak out another .5 ypc on 250 carries or so, he’s going to have near 1,000 yards.

All the Redskins need is a respectable running game, which is something they haven’t had since 2014 when Chris Forester was still the OL coach and they were running the ZBS all the time.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Then why did he sign to the Saints last offseason? It seems to me he wanted to go and play for a contender and to play with a franchise QB...

He only got upset in New Orleans because they weren’t playing him. After that happened, he wanted out, which is understandable for any competitor, especially one of Peterson’s standing.

Who else was offering Peterson a chance to play besides the Saints? He knew the backfield was going to be crowded on a pass heavy team. What he wants is the best opportunity to get 20 carries per game, if he wanted to play for a contender at 5 carries per game he could have in New Orleans. Opportunities for carries is greater than rings for Peterson. Let's not forget how often he spoke about personal records in his prime in MN. I can't fault Peterson for this, personal accolades as a top 5-10 RB and HOF recognition is a more significant feat than a Super Bowl win.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Who else was offering Peterson a chance to play besides the Saints? He knew the backfield was going to be crowded on a pass heavy team. What he wants is the best opportunity to get 20 carries per game, if he wanted to play for a contender at 5 carries per game he could have in New Orleans. Opportunities for carries is greater than rings for Peterson. Let's not forget how often he spoke about personal records in his prime in MN. I can't fault Peterson for this, personal accolades as a top 5-10 RB and HOF recognition is a more significant feat than a Super Bowl win.

I think he’d gladly take a Super Bowl ring and he would like to be a reason why his team won the Super Bowl. 

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Is he even in playing form now? 2000 is a tall task unless he can get whipped into shape quickly.

2000 is a ridiculously tall task period. But again this is AP. I would never bet on a 2000 yard season but 1200 is reasonable and I have zero doubt that he is in better shape than a lot of the players currently on the Redskins (or any other team, not bashing WAS of course). He always seems in fantastic shape, I doubt he would risk not getting signed because he was in poor shape.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Peterson looks exactly like he always does, he’s in tremendous shape. Gruden said he went through practice today and outworked the younger backs, didn’t even look like he broke a sweat.

he's always been in tremendous shape. but that hasn't been enough the last couple of years.

Archived