Redskins sign Adrian Peterson

49erurtaza

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Seriously, how did people think he was done? I can't wait till he tears it up this year.

Because hes 33 years old and only 2 RBs in NFL history have ever rushed for 1k at that age. AP can be a solid contributor but to expect him to be able to make it through an entire season healthy especially carrying 70% of the workload is a bit of a stretch.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Uhh 2015 he was an all pro. 2016 he got injured. 2017 he was in bad situations and still had some big games behind a bad line in AZ.

He's still better than most rostered backs in the league, I don't know how that's in question.

Didnt David Johnson have no problem with the same line the previous year?

Many here keep focusing on his athleticism, but that's not the issue for Peterson. Its that he's a poor fit in a modern NFL offense. Jay Gruden even said as much when talking about not using him on 3rd down. When he comes into the game, its a  pretty big "tell" for the defense and that's what will limit his effectiveness.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Many here keep focusing on his athleticism, but that's not the issue for Peterson. Its that he's a poor fit in a modern NFL offense. Jay Gruden even said as much when talking about not using him on 3rd down. When he comes into the game, its a  pretty big "tell" for the defense and that's what will limit his effectiveness.

He never played much on 3rd down. The whole stadium would know that he was getting the ball but it often times didn't matter.

Might not work as well now but I don't think defenses will key on him nearly as much

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Some of this can be offset by a strong play action game and a vertical passing attack. If the Redskins can't get 8 out of the box, Peterson will struggle at his age. 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt David Johnson have no problem with the same line the previous year?

Eh they had palmer that year. And obviously, when your starter is Blaine Gabbert, it's harder to run, which we saw against houston and seattle.

Obviously anecdotal, but david johnson averaged 2 ypc on his limited carries with AZ last year. That OL wasn't moving people like the Skins line can.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because hes 33 years old and only 2 RBs in NFL history have ever rushed for 1k at that age. AP can be a solid contributor but to expect him to be able to make it through an entire season healthy especially carrying 70% of the workload is a bit of a stretch.

He's a first ballot HOF and is in incredible shape. He's broken precedent before. I'm not saying he's in his prime and is gonna be first team all pro, but I'm shocked at how down on him people are.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Eh they had palmer that year. And obviously, when your starter is Blaine Gabbert, it's harder to run, which we saw against houston and seattle.

Obviously anecdotal, but david johnson averaged 2 ypc on his limited carries with AZ last year. That OL wasn't moving people like the Skins line can.

I know you said limited but come on...it was 11 carries lol

Leveon Bell was 10-32 in Week 1 last year. Still finished fine

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Since when has AP followed convention? This is the guy who tore his ACL, then was back six months later to start off a 2,000 campaign.

If AP were to rush for 500 at age 40, I wouldn't be shocked.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:11 AM, Sugashane said:

Peterson is still a genetic freak. Of course he isn't what he was when he was 25 but come on, he is still physically superior to over half the HBs in the league.

The difference between 25 and 33 shouldn't be much If we are being honest about it

On 8/25/2018 at 4:47 PM, Shanedorf said:

Many here keep focusing on his athleticism, but that's not the issue for Peterson. Its that he's a poor fit in a modern NFL offenseJay Gruden even said as much when talking about not using him on 3rd down. When he comes into the game, its a  pretty big "tell" for the defense and that's what will limit his effectiveness.

I think I get your overall point of view here and I agree with this regarding most modern NFL backs. You have to either be a dynamic back or a VERY good one-dimensional downhill back (which is one of the reasons as to why I'm reluctant in saying Rb's like Fournette are going to continue to have success and why I see Howard gone next season when his rookie contract is up).

But Peterson and Lynch were/are the last of a dying breed and they were able to get that label because of how hard they worked, how NFL smart they are, how much effort they put into staying in shape and keeping their bodies built up enough to withstand the punishment. 

It's things like this that separates them from most RB's and one of the reasons as to why I don't throw AP into that same basket, if you will. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:47 PM, Shanedorf said:

Jay Gruden doesn’t plan on using him on 3rd down because of Chris Thompson. Why would you use AP on third downs when you have one of the leagues best third down backs? It’s not a tell at all. He’ll carry the rock 10-15 times a game and mix it up with Thompson just like we did last year with Perine. 

Archived