GDT Preseason Week 3 Titans (0-2)@ Steelers(1-1)

Titans fan 617

Just now, TitanSS said:

You'd like Mariota to see that there was a broken coverage assignment and somehow know that Davis is going to see it too, but that leaves more room for error when you're going off script.

Yup. If Davis runs the assigned route and Marcus throws it high and ahead of him by five yards (assuming he's reading broken coverage and will cut up field), we're getting the exact same complaints.

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Not mad. Just disappointed. 

Time to readjust my expectations. The real question is whether we make coaching staff changes after 5-11 or not.

I wish we were good and could go 4-0 in the preseason like the Browns did last year. 

I want to feel like we're a top organization like the Browns.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I wish we were good and could go 4-0 in the preseason like the Browns did last year. 

I want to feel like we're a top organization like the Browns.

I dont care what the final score is. I can see with my own eyes what the product on the field looks like. Sorry that I'm not sticking my head in the sand. 

50 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Time to readjust my expectations. The real question is whether we make coaching staff changes after 5-11 or not.

On the plus side....maybe if we go 5-11 nobody will poach LaFleur for a HC position and we can finally give Marcus some much needed continuity ?

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yea get Robiskie back or maybe Whiz...?

Injuries are the primary concern, hopefully our big names get back. But week 3 of preseason is just a bit early to get so worked up. I agree there need to be major improvements, but would rather have a clunker now to hopefully wake some guys up. Need to at least see a few real games before going full Chicken Little.

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Jared Goff's line in the Rams third preseason game last year: 5-8, 56 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble lost.

This is Mariota's line in the Titans third preseason game: 5-8, 43 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT.

I wonder if we see any starters on Thursday.

I doubt we do. At this point I really don’t care if we do. So many guys haven’t played might as well just get ready for Miami 

12 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I dont care what the final score is. I can see with my own eyes what the product on the field looks like. Sorry that I'm not sticking my head in the sand. 

Yeah preseason matters I totally agree. These reps with no game planning whatsoever are a strong indication of what we are going to see during the regular season, as evidenced by the fabled champion Browns teams of years past.

P.S. If you can definitively predict how an offense will perform for an entire 16 game season off a quarterbacks first 8 pass attempts spread apart throughout 3 games that don't matter, you should consider getting a job in an NFL front office. They pay a lot of people a lot of money to study years worth of QB pass attempts and they still usually get it wrong. Except the Browns, of course, but not everyone can be the Browns.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah preseason matters I totally agree. These reps with no game planning whatsoever are a strong indication of what we are going to see during the regular season, as evidenced by the fabled champion Browns teams of years past.

P.S. If you can definitively predict how an offense will perform for an entire 16 game season off a quarterbacks first 8 pass attempts spread apart throughout 3 games that don't matter, you should consider getting a job in an NFL front office. They pay a lot of people a lot of money to study years worth of QB pass attempts and they still usually get it wrong. Except the Browns, of course, but not everyone can be the Browns.

Game planning isn't required to be able to perform an NFL pass, or run an NFL route, or execute any number of things of a single play. Once again, I'm reiterating that I don't care about the end result, W/L of the games played. I care about how the team looks while playing. How are we blocking? How are we covering? Route running? Passing? We can certainly chalk up all our shortcomings to "But it's da preseason it don't matter!", but when players are having miscues on the simple stuff, and it's the third preseason game, I tend to get a little concerned that it may spill over into the regular reason, rather than look at 2 specific teams in the past decade that went 4-0 preseason with 0-16 regular season and say "SEE! NONE OF IT MATTERS!"

Would I love for us to come out week 1, drop 40+ and give up single digit points? Abso-freaking-lutely. But I'm not going to sip on the koolaid and say "All these mistakes will be gone once regular season hits" like some homers around here.

6 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Game planning isn't required to be able to perform an NFL pass, or run an NFL route, or execute any number of things of a single play. Once again, I'm reiterating that I don't care about the end result, W/L of the games played. I care about how the team looks while playing. How are we blocking? How are we covering? Route running? Passing? We can certainly chalk up all our shortcomings to "But it's da preseason it don't matter!", but when players are having miscues on the simple stuff, and it's the third preseason game, I tend to get a little concerned that it may spill over into the regular reason, rather than look at 2 specific teams in the past decade that went 4-0 preseason with 0-16 regular season and say "SEE! NONE OF IT MATTERS!"

Would I love for us to come out week 1, drop 40+ and give up single digit points? Abso-freaking-lutely. But I'm not going to sip on the koolaid and say "All these mistakes will be gone once regular season hits" like some homers around here.

Has nothing to do with being a homer. Titans could be the worst team in football for all I know, but absolutely nothing that happens in the preseason will indicate that one way or the other. It doesn't matter. It doesn't indicate how your regular season will go in the slightest. There's just no correlation. Never has been in the NFL, never will be.

No one outside of the roster bubble players are actually trying. Most teams don't scheme. The pressure isn't the same in regards to how much the game matters. There's practically no fans in the stands in any stadium in the preseason so it doesn't even emulate fan noise.

You're doing yourself no favors trying to take anything from the preseason. There's no pattern in NFL history that indicates the preseason predicts anything about the regular season. You look at blocking, covering, route running, passing as if everyone is actually trying as hard as they possibly can, when quite obviously they're not.

In other news, apparently that pass that was short of Davis went off a Steelers player's helmet, for whatever that's worth.

I find it kinda hilarious how much talk there is over a single pass in hte preseason tho. Got private detectives out here watching the pass frame by frame.

honestly the biggest thing for me coming out of this game is whether harold landry is healthy. OLB depth is getting really dire, and it’s especi troubling since landry has struggled with an ankle injury in the past.

Saying we're going to suck because of a preseason game is just as bad as saying we're going to be good because of a training camp practice. As said above, there is just no correlation.

I didn't realize people actually tried to take anything from preseason. I've seen a ton of it on Twitter this year and it's quite hilarious. 

We could very well suck this year, but if we do, how we performed in preseason will still have nothing to do with it. 

17 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Mariota has to release the ball before Davis even gets to the point where he's supposed to break. If he waits to see which way Davis is going to break he's asking to get picked.

You'd like Mariota to see that there was a broken coverage assignment and somehow know that Davis is going to see it too, but that leaves more room for error when you're going off script.

Hard to fault either one of them honestly.

The only thing for me with the play is that Marcus should be able to hit someone wide open regardless of where he is running. 

But it's a play I think we won't see often. 

with a clear head in retrospect- this is a brand new offense. i think the type of recognition we wish had happened on that play is the type of thing that could happen in years to come or even later this season, but for now we should expect moments like this when folks aren’t on the same page.

Archived