2018 53-Man Roster Projections and Discussion

Broncofan

I mean, we've had some brutally bad drafts.   But it's rare that Day 2 guys are off the 53-man roster on year 2 - that's ugly.     I recall when Elway and some fans were trying to sell this as the best draft in years.   LOL SMH.

The only good thing from this draft is that it was so bad, it forced Elway to rethink the draft evaluation process, and incorporate metrics and skills-based analysis, instead of going after raw-tool low-to-no-skill athletes.   The biblical saying that he died so we could live?  Well, "he" was the 2017 draft, so the team's long-term health could be saved.

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Check out the 2003 Broncos draft. It's INCREDIBLE. One fun fact: They drafted four defensive linemen and not a single one made the team the following year. 

Irony being that Nick Eason actually carved himself out a 10 year NFL career. (and won a Superbowl with the Steelers). So not only was Shanahan bad at drafting, he also didn't know when he did come across NFL talent xD

Totally unrelated, but looking at Eason's wikipedia page you can see he went from the DL Coach of the Titans (2014 - 2017) to being a Defensive Assistant for Austin Peay University ... Life can come at you fast. I guess he might've taken the job because his family was settled in Tennessee, but still - that is some fall from grace.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:11 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Has there ever been a draft class unravel as quickly as our 2017 class has done? Seriously. It was only 18 months ago and we've cut 4 players (Henderson, McKenzie, Henderson, Kelly), 1 player has a ceiling of an average league starter (Bolles), 1 looks lost when on the field and is on the practice squad (Langley), 1 looks lost when on the field and is on the active roster (Walker) and we have 1 good player but is now on IR for the 2nd season in a row (Butt)

I would love to know if there has ever been a worse draft class than that. This forum could and would've done better than that - even if we know absolutely nothing, we could've used a draft website's rankings to end up with better than what we have. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that Elway could've been fired for this alone.

I agree it was awful. Certainly up there with the worst of the worst. 

Yet I do have faith in our FO because they changed their approach this year. Instead of raw and unproven from small schools we went the other way this year - proven, team captains, productive, award-winners from big-time programs. Instead of Coastal Carolina and Louisiana-Lafayette, it was NC-State, Iowa and Oregon. 

On 11/6/2018 at 3:11 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Has there ever been a draft class unravel as quickly as our 2017 class has done? Seriously. It was only 18 months ago and we've cut 4 players (Henderson, McKenzie, Henderson, Kelly), 1 player has a ceiling of an average league starter (Bolles), 1 looks lost when on the field and is on the practice squad (Langley), 1 looks lost when on the field and is on the active roster (Walker) and we have 1 good player but is now on IR for the 2nd season in a row (Butt)

I would love to know if there has ever been a worse draft class than that. This forum could and would've done better than that - even if we know absolutely nothing, we could've used a draft website's rankings to end up with better than what we have. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that Elway could've been fired for this alone.

And it didn’t have to be! There were players to be had that many of us wanted the broncos to draft at the time http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588004

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Like Jamar Taylor signing...that he'd be a good pick out of Boise...maybe he can turn his career around a bit?

I assume Vance worked with him in Miami. If you're competing at this point in the season, you're limited to the people you bring in because they almost have to have experience in your scheme/techniques.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I assume Vance worked with him in Miami. If you're competing at this point in the season, you're limited to the people you bring in because they almost have to have experience in your scheme/techniques.

It never seemed like this guy was bad though. I mean he seems to keep getting traded, which is good and bad...good in that there is value for him, and bad that not enough to keep him around.  Out of Boise I know there were a lot of us who wanted in Denver anyway...maybe with two coaches who coach DBs, they can polish him up a bit so that in the case that Roby doesn't resign at least you got someone to replace him. 

Archived