Odell Beckham and Giants agreed to a Mega 5 year deal

49erurtaza

I am glad OBJ got paid. He is a generational type talent just like AD who is fixing to get paid by the Rams soon. Like you dont lose those players. Again I am glad for OBJ who is the best player on the Giants and not Barkley. The Giants got it right by paying OBJ.

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

That Alshon contract looks great now

Apologies in advance, but in what plane of existence do they compare Odell Beckham Jr to Alshon Jeffrey? In every measurable category, Beckham is a significantly superior player.

Alshon isn't in this conversation. Never was.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Apologies in advance, but in what plane of existence do they compare Odell Beckham Jr to Alshon Jeffrey? In every measurable category, Beckham is a significantly superior player.

Alshon is good enough to win sb with, is our #1, and recently signed a contract. OBJ is better in every category,  but that doesn't mean you can't compare contracts. Rodgers is better than Kirk cousins in every category,  but you can still compare their contracts.

When healthy, I think he's the best in the game. Better than Antonio and Julio. It's such a tough decision though because of the immaturity and giving a guy like him that much guaranteed money. When this news broke, all of Giants nation looked in Odell's general direction and collectively said, "Don't $%&# this up!"

The rest of the NFC East is praying he goes on a bender lol.

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think he merely meant that the value of paying $52 million over four seasons ($13 mil per) doesn't look that bad when one considers OBJ's $95 million contract ($19 mil per). I don't think he was saying Alshon is as good in any way - but  he was probably saying that the value of the Alshon Jeffery contract is just as good if not better. The Giants are paying nearly 50% more per season than the Eagles are paying Alshon, a contract that many criticized as being too high in the first place. Assuming both players play and stay healthy this year, I'm pretty sure OBJ will not have more than 50% more production than Alshon Jeffery. So at the surface the contracts are pretty similar as far as production / cost (per year) goes. It's also worth noting that Alshon has much less guaranteed than OBJ... just over half of Alshon's contract is fully guarenteed, and over two-thirds of OBJ's is. (a total difference of $38M more for the Giants). That makes OBJ's contract undeniably the larger risk if the player gets hurt or doesn't continue to produce.

Take from that what you will.

I guess I get where you're getting at, but wanted to challenge one thing you're saying:

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The Giants are paying nearly 50% more per season than the Eagles are paying Alshon, a contract that many criticized as being too high in the first place. Assuming both players play and stay healthy this year, I'm pretty sure OBJ will not have more than 50% more production than Alshon Jeffery. 

I did the math - a 50% increase on Jeffrey's 2017 numbers (57/789/9) would get you 85/1183/13, which would actually be a down year for Odell.

A 100% increase on these figures would work to 114/1578/18. All of these figures would be career highs for Odell, but not very far off from his standard production. (Career average us 96/1374/11, so we're talking a difference of 18/204/7 - which could be a 2-3 week explosion for him, we've seen him do this before).

Not trying to overly knock Alshon, but Odell is truthfully worth double based on pure stats... 

• Odell Beckham Jr. has agreed to a five-year extension with the New York Giants that makes him the highest-paid wide receiver in football, a source told ESPN's Josina Anderson. The three-time Pro Bowl receiver can receive a maximum $95 million over the course of the deal with $65 million in guaranteed money.

That's a lot of money, but when healthy, he's proven to be worth it. He showed up, and he got paid. Well done on this contract from both the player's side, as well as the organization's side.

Beckham is set to make $8.4 million on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. The agreement reworks Beckham's 2018 contract into a $1.459 million salary with a $20 million signing bonus. The Giants will save $3 million against the cap.

$20 million dollar signing bonus. Sure, that'll get cut down after taxes, agent fees, etc. But man. That's a nice chunk of change to take away any financial worries.

Archived