What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Coaching my son's team, and we have two teams that refuse to play us. FML. I have to try to get them to play their third graders against our 1st/2nd graders. I'm pissed off that the league won't do anything about it. They SHOULD ban them from the league.

We haven't even laid it on people. We don't even have real starters, I have A and B team offense and defenses. Literally mixing the "advanced" and "beginner" players every other spot. We have played a full OL of under 50 lb players in the second half.

I don't want to be a complete jerk, but during the endseason jamboree I want to run my best and rotate 2-3 kids that are less advanced kids per play on these two teams. I don't want to short my kids any playing time but want to send a message to the coaches and parents. I think I am going to put the kids in another league against bigger cities next year.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

Congrats!  Nice to be proud of your kiddo.

But don't be nervous.  This won't define him.  Just have fun with it.

don’t listen to this guy @Matts4313, the world has only two people, winners, and sissies, and if your son isn’t up to the a team he’s a big sissy 

nah good for your son but hope he plays lights out in seriousness

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Coaching my son's team, and we have two teams that refuse to play us. FML. I have to try to get them to play their third graders against our 1st/2nd graders. I'm pissed off that the league won't do anything about it. They SHOULD ban them from the league.

We haven't even laid it on people. We don't even have real starters, I have A and B team offense and defenses. Literally mixing the "advanced" and "beginner" players every other spot. We have played a full OL of under 50 lb players in the second half.

I don't want to be a complete jerk, but during the endseason jamboree I want to run my best and rotate 2-3 kids that are less advanced kids per play on these two teams. I don't want to short my kids any playing time but want to send a message to the coaches and parents. I think I am going to put the kids in another league against bigger cities next year.

There were issues like this when I played peewee football.  We had a coach that had been the high school coach for 24 years with a 179-64-1 record that was coaching our team because his grandson was on the team. He had us blitzing, so they put in rules against it. We lined up with 5 man lines, they put in rules against that. I think they put in rules against motion at one point. We ran complex offenses and defenses and instead of preparing their own kids to counter it, they wanted to outlaw everything we did because they felt it wasn't fair. He was able to prepare us for a veer offense in 6th grade and ran more formations on offense and defense than the high school. We went undefeated in two of the years, when I was in 6th and 8th grade.

He was able to do this by rotating heavily for players that weren't able to pick up the multiple offenses and defenses. He simplified for the players that needed it and moved around players that he felt could handle it. For example, I played safety a lot, but then we had situations where I would move up to NT and fire through gaps. I think I played all of the positions on defense aside from MLB at some point. We also had a kid that would be moved to different OL positions, FB, TE, etc.

The main thing here is that other coaches will take the easy way out instead of preparing better. It's mostly laziness. I could see if it were a safety thing, but it's usually just that they don't want their kids to get embarassed (or more accurately, they don't want to get embarassed themselves).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

We have a different issue here. The amount of kids signing up to play has been so poorly. That my county had to join a neighboring county just to form 1 team of 14 players.

Entire district is made up of 6 entire counties. Only 1 county had enough to form 2 teams. So had to reach out and add a couple counties facing the same issues pretty far off. Had to join them all together in forming the league, costing parents major driving time. Just so the kids could play a few games.

55 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

There were issues like this when I played peewee football.  We had a coach that had been the high school coach for 24 years with a 179-64-1 record that was coaching our team because his grandson was on the team. He had us blitzing, so they put in rules against it. We lined up with 5 man lines, they put in rules against that. I think they put in rules against motion at one point. We ran complex offenses and defenses and instead of preparing their own kids to counter it, they wanted to outlaw everything we did because they felt it wasn't fair. He was able to prepare us for a veer offense in 6th grade and ran more formations on offense and defense than the high school. We went undefeated in two of the years, when I was in 6th and 8th grade.

He was able to do this by rotating heavily for players that weren't able to pick up the multiple offenses and defenses. He simplified for the players that needed it and moved around players that he felt could handle it. For example, I played safety a lot, but then we had situations where I would move up to NT and fire through gaps. I think I played all of the positions on defense aside from MLB at some point. We also had a kid that would be moved to different OL positions, FB, TE, etc.

The main thing here is that other coaches will take the easy way out instead of preparing better. It's mostly laziness. I could see if it were a safety thing, but it's usually just that they don't want their kids to get embarassed (or more accurately, they don't want to get embarassed themselves).

That is a hell of a record. Shows he has sustained success and didn't just luck into a group of athletes. 

It's good to teach the kids more than most though, they are sponges. Make it relatable and they can absorb it. Last year the kids were hammered with the basics. We only ran 3 formations - The Maryland I, the T, and Flexbone. The OL didn't even know the play. They were to get their spacing and block head up, the skill position kids were the ones who huddled with me, took the plays and formations. I just had the 3 formations printed and laminated so they were on my clipboard to show them where to go and occasionally what to do. Now we break huddles as a team and it is a crisp unit. That is intimidating to coaches in itself I'm seeing. I'm a little militaristic, but I make sure they have a ton of fun at the end of every practice as a reward. We do little things like celebrate big blocks, runs and hits. If I see it I will yell the kids' name, and then the kids around and (some) on the sideline will echo me. That is freaking exciting for the kid. That is why they play so hard for me, I give them recognition for what they do. If they slack, I chew them, but I make it because they are hurting their team as a whole, their football family. When they correct the issue, I give them a namecall and a "hooah", then the kids all "hooah."

Most of the other coaches can't even get the kids to line up without pulling them around and everything, my boys know how the OL positions, gaps, and some basic moves. That's because of laziness, like you said. I spent a few practices drilling the kids just on these basics, then on how to hit/block/tackle/handoff, etc. The first 2 weeks of practices we barely hit. Come gametime though, we adjusted and owned the other team. My kids knew how to block, and to maintain a block, theirs hit once and stopped. 

Good news, we get to play one team's 3rd graders this week. Their coach was pretty cool over the phone, seemed on my side of the situation but damn happy his kids get an extra game. So I guess I'll take it easy on them. :D

I have already set it up so if I play the coaches that ducked my boys I am pulling out the Emory and Henry  formation. Yes, I know of it because I'm a lifelong Gator fan. lol

38 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We have a different issue here. The amount of kids signing up to play has been so poorly. That my county had to join a neighboring county just to form 1 team of 14 players.

Entire district is made up of 6 entire counties. Only 1 county had enough to form 2 teams. So had to reach out and add a couple counties facing the same issues pretty far off. Had to join them all together in forming the league, costing parents major driving time. Just so the kids could play a few games.

Damn that sucks. We had to play with nine kids last year after one quit and one broke his foot at home. This year some of the coaches and I made sure to make it far more well known about the league and team, and had the kids wearing their jerseys to school on Friday to help it get around. Now we have a team of 19 (same kid quit again - never even cashed the check from his parents since I knew what was going to happen). Try to make a Facebook page and ask your friends to share it, get the kids to wear it to school, etc. Maybe that will help drive up the numbers. Most of the parents said they had no idea about it last year, and that was the reason our kids had to play 2 ways every game. Now they can rotate with the teams and stay much fresher.

• Like 1

Alright scratch that I’m just gonna get a lucid mattress on amazon for 1/3 the price lol. How much of a difference does it make between a 10 inch and 12 inch mattress though? I have no experience buying mattresses so I’m not sure what those numbers really mean. 

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

Alright scratch that I’m just gonna get a lucid mattress on amazon for 1/3 the price lol. How much of a difference does it make between a 10 inch and 12 inch mattress though? I have no experience buying mattresses so I’m not sure what those numbers really mean. 

10 inch is what I gave your mom, 12 is what I gave your girlfriend. 

I am assuming you are looking at foam mattresses? The bigger, typically the more plush in my experience. But I am no pro. I bought one of the king size ones on amazon for a few hundred and put a fancy mattress topper on it. Its very comfy. The only problem is that I am a hot sleeper and this thing gets super super hot after several hours. Thinking of getting one of those mattresses that are supposed to be cold. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

10 inch is what I gave your mom, 12 is what I gave your girlfriend. 

I am assuming you are looking at foam mattresses? The bigger, typically the more plush in my experience. But I am no pro. I bought one of the king size ones on amazon for a few hundred and put a fancy mattress topper on it. Its very comfy. The only problem is that I am a hot sleeper and this thing gets super super hot after several hours. Thinking of getting one of those mattresses that are supposed to be cold. 

My girlfriend is my hand so you have some ‘splaining to do

i think I’m gonna get 12”. It said online it’s mostly for people over 250 lbs which I’m not anymore but still think the softness would be preferable. It getting hot is a bit of a concern tho

Anyone know anything about quality bedsheets 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Jennifer Connolly in A Beautiful Mind. She's basically a perfect 10 in this movie.

Her ****ies in the 90s are always getting reposted on reddit but I’m not complaining. Legit one of the finest females of all time (ffoat)

12 minutes ago, Tyty said:

My girlfriend is my hand so you have some ‘splaining to do

i think I’m gonna get 12”. It said online it’s mostly for people over 250 lbs which I’m not anymore but still think the softness would be preferable. It getting hot is a bit of a concern tho

Anyone know anything about quality bedsheets 

You have some hand washin' to do...

For bedsheets, go get this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLLUMOE?tag=goodhousekeeping_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10055.g.3038[src|[ch|

Katie wanted to look at reviews, I balked at the prices at most, then she found these. Ordered one set and loved them, now we have 2 sets that combined for  less than most of the other individuals did.