What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, I watched my 1 year old eat bacon for the first time, and before she started chewing it, she starting frantically signing "more" as her eyes lit up.

Is teaching toddlers basic signs a common thing? My sister did it for stuff like please, more, thank you, etc. I had never heard of that being a thing before.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Is teaching toddlers basic signs a common thing?

Yes, although a toddler is usually after 1 (1.5-2 years). Basically, long story short, the ability for these children to comprehend and communicate is much higher than we knew/have known for a long time, but they simply aren't verbally ready to do so. However, their hand motor skills are ready. So, if they don't know signs, then you will get a lot of frustrated grunts and screams until they get what they want/are asking for.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

My sister did it for stuff like please, more, thank you, etc. I had never heard of that being a thing before.

Exactly. We stuck to a few basic ones:

"More"

"Please"

"Thank you"

"Milk"

"I love you"

"Potty"....this one is tough and a little more advanced. It does help them even if they've already soiled themselves communicate that they need to be changed and helps a smoother transition into potty training, which is already a nightmare.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes, although a toddler is usually after 1 (1.5-2 years). Basically, long story short, the ability for these children to comprehend and communicate is much higher than we knew/have known for a long time, but they simply aren't verbally ready to do so.

This is why the words for mother/father are easy to say in pretty much every language. The M, D, and ah sounds are easy to make (just one motion with the mouth).

Never thought about teaching a kid to sign though. That's brilliant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is why the words for mother/father are easy to say in pretty much every language. The M, D, and ah sounds are easy to make (just one motion with the mouth).

Exactly.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My aforementioned almost two year old daughter was born with a cleft lip and palate (two surgeries later you could never tell), so those sounds and ability to communicate were also physiologically impossible, so I was "Ya-ya" and then "Ga-Ga" and now "Gda-Gda" since you need a fully good to go palate and speech therapy for most hard D sounds. She is advanced in her gross and fine motor skills (was an early walker), but we know that even though she's doing a lot better with speech, she will need therapy.  *Soap Box* Parents, it's OK if your kids aren't on target/are behind, just please don't ignore it and get them the help and support that they need. I'm not just speaking as a parent, but also as an educator.

Long story short, she excelled with signs, and this was awesome with everyone's relationship. My almost 4 year old even loved teaching her some signs and helping her out. I had no idea how smart LITTLE kids were until I was a parent...I mean, you can teach a kid to sign when they're 6-10 months old, and they're actually able to communicate what they want/need. It's crazy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

*Soap Box* Parents, it's OK if your kids aren't on target/are behind, just please don't ignore it and get them the help and support that they need. I'm not just speaking as a parent, but also as an educator.

There are simply not enough footballs to give for this comment.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Haven’t you seen Meet the Fockers??

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Exactly.

My aforementioned almost two year old daughter was born with a cleft lip and palate (two surgeries later you could never tell), so those sounds and ability to communicate were also physiologically impossible, so I was "Ya-ya" and then "Ga-Ga" and now "Gda-Gda" since you need a fully good to go palate and speech therapy for most hard D sounds. She is advanced in her gross and fine motor skills (was an early walker), but we know that even though she's doing a lot better with speech, she will need therapy.  *Soap Box* Parents, it's OK if your kids aren't on target/are behind, just please don't ignore it and get them the help and support that they need. I'm not just speaking as a parent, but also as an educator.

Long story short, she excelled with signs, and this was awesome with everyone's relationship. My almost 4 year old even loved teaching her some signs and helping her out. I had no idea how smart LITTLE kids were until I was a parent...I mean, you can teach a kid to sign when they're 6-10 months old, and they're actually able to communicate what they want/need. It's crazy.

Glad your daughter has you for parents man, that's awesome.

I took a class in college about Communicative Disorders because I got credit for humanities since the deaf community is kind of a sensitive subject, and admittedly there was like a 2 week period where I was going to be an audiologist. A family friend actually went down that path. Her white coat ceremony is in a month.

It was funny though, I did well in the class told my dad about it after, and he said he used to have a crippling stutter. Not The Kings Speech, but bad. Went to therapy for a few years over it, and you'd honestly never know unless he told you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

*Soap Box* Parents, it's OK if your kids aren't on target/are behind, just please don't ignore it and get them the help and support that they need. I'm not just speaking as a parent, but also as an educator.

Amen man. I see this just as a coach. You see kids acting out because of a lack of structure. There are a few kids on the football team that I have to really watch and keep on, not because I am being mean but I am trying to help them adjust and fit in with the team. A few of us coaches have to go pick one up from his mom's house because she can't keep a job. Hell I had to go pick him up so he could go to my sons bday party. There are kids who are in 2nd grade and still don't know their left from right or how to tie their shoes. Not just do it neatly or quickly, like they cannot do it at all.

I can just imagine how far behind these kids are in class. This will bleed into their personal lives too.

• Like 1

Welp I’ve learned that there are three types of people attracted to me at work. Older ladies, underage (17 years old) ladies, and attractive but married ladies. Hard pass on all three. The 17 year old keeps like rubbing my arm and awkwardly hitting on me and told me she turns 18 soon but I’m too damn 26 for that. 26/2+7 is 20.