What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

13 minutes ago, pwny said:

Not a stupid question.

The box-like thing on your laptop power supply converts the 120 AC volts from the outlet to DC volts for the computer’s use. Almost all laptop chargers are 19 volts. So any harm done to the dog would be no worse than licking a couple 9 volt batteries. 

The resistance for humans is enough so that you can close a circuit on at least 9v and you won’t feel anything unless the skin is wet. I’m pretty certain that animals have higher resistance levels, but don’t quote me on that. The resistance of dog skin is also probably enough so that it also wouldn’t even be as painful as it is for humans. At worst case scenario, he got a very slight electrical burn, but I doubt even that happened.

Now if he chewed through a cable for a light or something like that, that could be different.

You never fail to impress me.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Pwny, I have a legit question that is going to make me look stupid. I bought a puppy, it chewed up my plugged in laptop charger. How did she not get electrocuted and die?

Adding on to what Pwny said, the dog probably got the DC side of the inverter.

DC doesn't cause issues, unless whatever it's touching is grounded. If the dog was on something metal, or in water, it would have been really bad. It's the same reason you can touch both sides of a battery, and not get shocked. 

31 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

my roommate works customer service and people always tell him "You just lost a customer" when they're upset & sometimes he goes "Nooooooooo" really sarcastically lmao 

Sounds like he's not very good at his job if it's always happening.

51 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Adding on to what Pwny said, the dog probably got the DC side of the inverter.

DC doesn't cause issues, unless whatever it's touching is grounded. If the dog was on something metal, or in water, it would have been really bad. It's the same reason you can touch both sides of a battery, and not get shocked. 

To expand on this and clarify:

Current (in amps) is = voltage / resistance (in Ohms)

Dry human skin can provide about 100,000Ω of resistance, but that can drop to ~1,000Ω if wet or in metal shoes or other factors. I don't have any reason to believe a dog's skin would provide worse resistance, and would probably be higher.

Because the voltage of DC is seen at a lower level, that resistance will often create a current so minuscule that it can't be sensed.

Even if we take worst case scenario and say that the mouth is only providing 1,000Ω of resistance, your 19v cord still can only deliver 19mA into your body. While that could produce a nice shock, it's well below the threshold to kill you (100-200mA).

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I just cut my thumb slicing a potato, which is preventing giving out footballs. So, I'm going to apologize to everyone right now.

You gave me a like and then removed it tho. That’s two taps. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

You gave me a like and then removed it tho. That’s two taps. 

I'm experimenting with middle finger methods. Just ran through the Dez Bryant injury thread with good results, but have to continue with beta testing.