What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Michael Phelps

Michael is my all time favorite athlete, but swimming changed a lot in the past few years. The 2008, hyper cardio'd Phelps would still crush in the 400 IM because that race in particular was stupid face banana pants, but nowadays he'd struggle in the shorter distances. 

I'll give a specific example. The 50 yard free back in the era of Michael, you were elite at 19.0 seconds. WR was maybe a few tenths faster, but 19 was the barrier.

Fast forward to today, and here's a video of Caleb Dressel putting up a 17.63 (!). 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Michael is my all time favorite athlete, but swimming changed a lot in the past few years. The 2008, hyper cardio'd Phelps would still crush in the 400 IM because that race in particular was stupid face banana pants, but nowadays he'd struggle in the shorter distances. 

I'll give a specific example. The 50 yard free back in the era of Michael, you were elite at 19.0 seconds. WR was maybe a few tenths faster, but 19 was the barrier.

Fast forward to today, and here's a video of Caleb Dressel putting up a 17.63 (!). 

I admittedly don't follow swimming much, so this is news to me. For the longest time, I figured Phelps was some aqua bug or something...

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I admittedly don't follow swimming much, so this is news to me. For the longest time, I figured Phelps was some aqua bug or something...

He changed the game. Phelps was the first guy who really nailed his turns on every race on top of being the most talented swimmer on the planet, and when you combine that he murdered people.

Watch the first wall on this race and you'll know what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lnFFTgO0M

Phelps is in Lane 6, he's the first one to the wall, and he's far and away the last one to come up for air. But then watch Dressel's swim - his underwaters are just as good if not better than Phelps' because everyone immediately started coaching to get people to do turns like that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He changed the game. Phelps was the first guy who really nailed his turns on every race on top of being the most talented swimmer on the planet, and when you combine that he murdered people.

Watch the first wall on this race and you'll know what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lnFFTgO0M

Phelps is in Lane 6, he's the first one to the wall, and he's far and away the last one to come up for air. But then watch Dressel's swim - his underwaters are just as good if not better than Phelps' because everyone immediately started coaching to get people to do turns like that.

I once read something (ESPN The Magazine, I think?) and there was an article about how Phelps didn't develop lactic acid like most people did - he developed lactic acid at half the rate of a normal person.

https://www.biography.com/news/michael-phelp-perfect-body-swimming

I'd surmise that would be beneficial to any sort of athlete. I openly wonder how good he'd be in a triathlon, understanding he might not be able to ride a bike or run well, but could swim better than anyone else and have half the lactic buildup of other participants.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I once read something (ESPN The Magazine, I think?) and there was an article about how Phelps didn't develop lactic acid like most people did - he developed lactic acid at half the rate of a normal person.

https://www.biography.com/news/michael-phelp-perfect-body-swimming

I'd surmise that would be beneficial to any sort of athlete. I openly wonder how good he'd be in a triathlon, understanding he might not be able to ride a bike or run well, but could swim better than anyone else and have half the lactic buildup of other participants.

Pretty common swimming side effect because of the emphasis on breath control tbh.

But yeah unless he's completely worthless on a bike or on foot he'd crush a triathlon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theJ said:

100% if you don't have a will, your wishes won't be fulfilled.

Besides, most people don't have much in the way of assets.  So most wills should be/are simple.  It's the situations like the following that create family problems: Gramma doesn't have a Will.  She dies, leaving her estate to her three kids.  She doesn't have much, just a small bank account and her house.  House though is worth 200k.  Two of the kids want to sell the house, but the third refuses to sell for sentimental reasons.  So now the other two aren't talking to the third, and the house falls to ruins because no one is living there to keep it up.

A Will solves that, because the executor is a third party who sells it because the other kid doesn't have a say.  Most Wills of this type don't leave much to the imagination.

I mean, it's not a reason to not have a will, obviously...  But things can definitely get a lot murkier with some of the nastier cases in reality, than that simplified sort of example.  Especially in the cases where there actually are some assets/property/etc of significant value to divvy up.  What you're describing there, can basically be fulfilled by an auctioneer.  In the real world though, things slip through the cracks of a will.  It can be an awful lot more complicated than just, "sell all the stuff off".  Like, even just, "selling the house" can become a complicated issue and point of contention when it comes to valuation, timelines, taxes etc.

• Like 1

Also the pace of modern NBA is on par with the Jordan Bulls era.

Jordan would have no issues in today’s game. Even might thrive more so given the analytics in today’s game revolving around the 3pt shot.

17 minutes ago, Glen said:

Jordan would have no issues in today’s game. Even might thrive more so given the analytics in today’s game revolving around the 3pt shot.

This goes for most stars of that era.

Magic, Bird, Chuck, Zeke, Malone, Ewing, Stockton, etc would all dominate in today’s game much like they did in their era.

Edited by Glen

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Dang straight. Jordan toyed with people back in his day. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

November 26, 1986. Mike Tyson vs Trevor Berbick.

On this day, Mike Tyson is the deadliest person in human history - there is not a person in the past or present that could beat him in a fight, regardless of discipline. 

The way he manhandled the WBC World Heavyweight Champion is scary. Trevor Berbick is the best figher in the world at this time, and Tyson dismantles him from the opening bell. 

At that moment, young Mike Tyson reaches a pinnacle of the human race, as he's the deadliest person to ever exist.

Change my mind.

Fedor Emelianenko August 28th 2005.

Tyson thrives in getting up close and under his opponents given his size differential.

Would not be able to pressure Fedor as well as he could his larger heavyweight opponents.

Fedor would also likely lift Tyson up and judo smash him into the ground before beating his face into mush.

Just used Amazons Whole Foods delivery option.

Anyone drive for them? Suggested Tip was $5, didn’t know how they paid their drivers. Seemed low for the total cost.

12 hours ago, Glen said:

Just used Amazons Whole Foods delivery option.

Anyone drive for them? Suggested Tip was $5, didn’t know how they paid their drivers. Seemed low for the total cost.

Follow up. They switched out my bagels with English muffins, which I wasn’t too thrilled with. But I was also sleeping & they did text me to ask if it was alright.

Other than that, paying a dude $5 to grab my groceries & deliver them is certainly worth it.

After googling it looks like their base pay is $15/hr which isn’t terrible.