What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

People get worked up for tornadoes?  I mean, where I live if you're not out watching the tornado you're not normal...

My roommate freaks out about them and any other severe weather warning but I normally just watch out the window and enjoy the show. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedRider said:

I've been obsessing over football all summer, and the Vikes have seemingly handed in the towel already.-_-

Well, a bad start will make the inevitable failure less of a disappointment.  So there is that.

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

My roommate freaks out about them and any other severe weather warning but I normally just watch out the window and enjoy the show. 

Yep. I quite literally looked up thru a tornado one time. Lived on top of a hill. A tornado came thru and bounced up from a hill before me. It was only an f1 but I loved it anyway. 

Edit: not downgrading tornados in any way. Yeah they're dangerous. 

Edited by Bonanza23
Originally didn't edit

8 hours ago, patdt13 said:

When you live in Connecticut and had like the first tornado of your life hit 10 miles away, you get worked up.

Maybe it's because I've lived in Tornado Alley for most of my life, but it seems like everytime you hear the tornado sirens going off you immediately go out on your driveway...I wish I were kidding.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe it's because I've lived in Tornado Alley for most of my life, but it seems like everytime you hear the tornado sirens going off you immediately go out on your driveway...I wish I were kidding.

I'd be one of those people to do that too tbh

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

My kid is 6 and wants to play football. I loved the idea at first but now with all the stuff about CTE and concussions I'm having second thoughts about it. Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I let him play?

It's a tough call because you always want to keep your kid safe, but you also can't lock them in a bubble. You can get a concussion in pretty much any sport, or simple things in life. My kid slipped on some stairs, hit her head, and got a concussion walking home from school. I took worse hits tot he head playing baseball than I did when I played football. My torn ACL came from hockey. 

If you decide to let him play, make sure you're doing everything you can to make sure he learns to play as safe as the sport will allow. If you decide against it, find something to replace it with so he's not upset about not getting to play. 

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

It's a tough call because you always want to keep your kid safe, but you also can't lock them in a bubble. You can get a concussion in pretty much any sport, or simple things in life. My kid slipped on some stairs, hit her head, and got a concussion walking home from school. I took worse hits tot he head playing baseball than I did when I played football. My torn ACL came from hockey. 

If you decide to let him play, make sure you're doing everything you can to make sure he learns to play as safe as the sport will allow. If you decide against it, find something to replace it with so he's not upset about not getting to play. 

He loves baseball so I'm all over that with him. He talks about football too a lot. I'm not the type at all to hover over my kids so they won't get hurt. This is on another level though where it's his future.

4 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

My kid is 6 and wants to play football. I loved the idea at first but now with all the stuff about CTE and concussions I'm having second thoughts about it. Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I let him play?

There isn't data that playing football in the pre-HS or even HS level is associated with long-term brain damage. Preventing your kid from playing when he's this young wouldn't be a data-driven decision at this point, it would be an emotional and a risk-tolerance decision.

In other words, you could go either way defensibly with the data we have. I don't have kids, and I'm not going to give a recommendation. Whichever you choose, you'll have to own it and be okay with it.

Have you considered sitting down with your kid and laying out what we know? Seems like a conversation where a 6 year old might surprise you with some maturity if you lay out the facts.

5 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Someone refresh my FF etiquette. If I'm standing at the bus stop and the guy next to me is smoking, I'm supposed to punch him, right? 

Only if you don't like it. It's not an automatic thing.