What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Even trees are important, the way they collect water droplets(which slows down the rain collecting on the ground) and there root systems and mycorrhizae systems all help manage water/excess water. 

Nature has systems to deal with excess water. You just can't put concrete over everything and not expect serious consequences. This goes right into "play stupid games and win stupid prizes" . The lack common sense on paving over everything is just hilarious AF. 

Just now, Bednarik60 said:

Even trees are important, the way they collect water droplets(which slows down the rain collecting on the ground) and there root systems and mycorrhizae systems all help manage water/excess water. 

Nature has systems to deal with excess water. You just can't put concrete over everything and not expect serious consequences. This goes right into "play stupid games and win stupid prizes" . The lack common sense on paving over everything is just hilarious AF. 

Legitimate question, put into a percentage the amount of Houston that is covered in concrete?  I'm legitimately curious.

17 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

Now is not the time for this discussion on Houston.  

9-7. 2nd in the AFC South behind Tennessee. 6th seed in the playoffs, outed in the 1st round by KC.

Ok, I'm done. :D

33 minutes ago, theJ said:

Some day in the near future i'll probably have direct reports. 

I hope i'm not as unhelpful as some of the managers i work with now.

I've found that managing people is arguably one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do. I don't think any manager goes into a job thinking "hey, how can I not help my team?" But eventually the efforts erode into what you see.

My buddy is the Director of Business Intelligence at one of the hospitals here - his direct and indirect employees love him. His recipe for success is based on one premise - his first job above and beyond is to serve his team. Everything else is secondary. 

Sorry for the sidebar, but it's something I'm reading up on in anticipation of my next gig, which hopefully includes managing a team of 20-50 people.

24 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

His recipe for success is based on one premise - his first job above and beyond is to serve his team. Everything else is secondary. 

I don't know why anyone would treat management in any other way. Common sense.

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't know why anyone would treat management in any other way. Common sense.

If you're getting pulled in multiple directions, it's easy to lose sight. 

From my experience, I've seen people fall into this when they lack proper delegation skills - they get too much on their plate, and they don't effectively offload the "nice to do" tasks and treat everything as mission critical. In most instances of this, the people tend to be control oriented.