Week 1: 49ers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

Who will score the first points for the Vikings this season?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will score the first points for the Vikings this season?

• Latavius Murray
    • Stefon Diggs
    • Dalvin Cook
    • Daniel Carlson
    • Adam Thielen
    • Eric Kendricks
    • Laquon Treadwell
    • Harrison Smith
    • Kyle Rudolph
    • Other (Post name in thread)

17 minutes ago, Klomp said:

While I understand we gave up more yards than people wanted and especially on chunk plays, the difference between that game and last year was the turnovers. Four turnovers forced was more than we had in any game last year. That makes up the difference when you give up a few more yards than normal.

But turnovers are largely luck driven.... That team looked mediocre. Not worried yet, but it was not a good game.

24 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

But turnovers are largely luck driven.... That team looked mediocre. Not worried yet, but it was not a good game.

I was told last year here that forcing turnovers was what separates great defenses from good defenses.

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

?

Yeah, that's a head-scratcher. He definitely gave up some of those big plays to Kittle, but I would think that a sack and a game sealing interception would be worth a lot more. Also, that play where he blew up the DT playing FB was classic Harry. That's a pretty bad grade.

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

were we never behind in the score of this game, and only tied when it was 0-0?

No, never behind

1 2 3 4 Total
San Francisco (0-1) 0 3 10 3 16
Minnesota (1-0) 3 7 14 0 24

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter SF Min
Min 11:04 FG Daniel Carlson 48 0 3
2nd Quarter SF Min
Min 1:21 Stefon Diggs 22 pass from Kirk Cousins (Daniel Carlson Kick) 0 10
SF 3:18 FG Robbie Gould 42 3 10
3rd Quarter SF Min
Min 4:19 Mike Hughes 28 interception return (Daniel Carlson Kick) 3 17
SF 5:45 FG Robbie Gould 33 6 17
Min 10:38 Kyle Rudolph 11 pass from Kirk Cousins (Daniel Carlson Kick) 6 24
SF 14:29 Dante Pettis 22 pass from Jimmy Garoppolo (Robbie Gould Kick) 13 24
4th Quarter SF Min
SF 6:51 FG Robbie Gould 22 16 24

16 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I didn't see a mediocre team. The defense was pretty dominant outside of cleaning some things up in coverage on the TE and FB. Garropalo had all kinds of problems. The offensive line was OK. The run blocking left something to be desired and I thought the play calling was pretty meh. But realistically, we played a pretty good 49ers team and beat them fairly easily despite the close score. 

I'm not saying we don't have things to work on, but I thought it was a pretty good first game. 

21 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Turnovers aren’t largely luck driven.

Fumble recoveries are luck — over time, every team will recover about half of them — but even then forced fumbles are a skill (that Charles Tillman excelled at) and not fumbling is a skill (that Adrian Peterson lacked). Different types of fumbles are more or less likely to be recovered: QB fumbles in the pocket more often come back to the original team while fumbles from WRs downfield more often change possession.

On Sunday, both the Vikings and Niners had RBs fumble, and both fumbles were recovered by the defense. Situations were a little different — Morris was stuffed at the LOS in a goalline situation while Cook was stripped from behind on a breakaway run — but both fumbles were probably somewhat more likely to be recovered by the defense, so I wouldn’t call either turnover a lucky result. 

Interceptions are not especially luck related. They depend on the QB’s decision making and accuracy, the defense’s pass rush affecting timing, angles and velocity of throws, and the relative skill of receivers and defenders at the catch point. There are certainly some lucky breaks with dropped picks, but by and large the same players generate most INTs on offense and defense, year after year.

The Vikings INTs vs SF were the result of one incredible play by Rhodes (one handed catch in close coverage) and 2 bad throws from Garoppolo under pressure. Hughes’ pick 6 was an easy play for him, but it doesn’t mean it was a lucky play — look how Zimmer schemed pressure and forced Jimmy G to get rid of the ball:

On the other side of the ball, Cousins had the one throw into a blitz that could’ve been picked (by Tartt, IIRC) but the throw was low and hard and the DB had to dive or stretch for it so it wasn’t a gimme. The Vikings had a little good luck there but they were full marks for their turnovers on defense, so I wouldn’t say the turnover differential was largely related to luck overall. 

WR Adam Thielen converted a first down on all six of his receptions vs. San Francisco, tying him for the fourth-most in the NFL after Week 1. In 2017, Thielen ranked eighth in the NFL with 59 receptions resulting in first downs. 

In Week 1 vs. San Francisco, TE Kyle Rudolph caught his 16th touchdown pass since the start of the 2016 season, which is tied with Packers TE Jimmy Graham for the most in the NFL among all TEs in that span.

https://www.vikings.com/news/game-preview-vikings-at-packers

Archived