Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

You want to look at this reasonably for the Raiders considering they got a fair haul in draft picks, but they just threw away the best player in his prime on their team. And they also just cut a player they just traded a 3rd round pick for just a few months ago. And cut one of the best punters in the league because of his "attitude." That only seems to be the foundation of the domino effect with what may be to come. The Gruden off-season has been nothing short of miserable in terms of morale building. There's not reason to look at it any other way up to this point.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm looking at the Bears overall roster after this trade.  They don't have their '19 1st round pick or 2nd round pick, and they've got a projected $36M in cap space right now but that excludes the Mack extension.  You have to figure his cap hit is going to be at least $18M, which takes a HUGE dent of their cap space.  I'm not going to pretend I'm privy to the Bears' cap situation, but the only way the Bears can improve their roster next year realistically is via FA.

While I somewhat agree, look at the success Ryan Pace has had in later rounds... Adrian Amos(5th), Jordan Howard (5th), Eddie Jackson(4th), Tarik Cohen(4th). This is a franchise changing move for Chicago plain and simple.

3 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Agree to disagree.  As a Lions fan with a team coming off a much better season than the Bears, with a much better QB, I don't trade two first rounders for a 27 year old Mack.  Don't even have to think twice about.  But hey, to each their own.  If the Bears go 7-9 next season and Trubisky doesn't look like the answer moving forward, suddenly you're going to wish you weren't paying 25M/year to a player on the cusp of age 30, with no good draft capital left to improve the team.  And no matter what you may think, going 7-9 in a division with great teams like the Packers and Vikings, and a likely around averageish team in the Lions, is much more likely than not. 

Lions are bar none the worst team in the North. You’re in for a surprise my friend

1. You have to best 3 great QBs in the nfc north, the bears need a player like mack amongst other great defensive players.

2. Does analytics support giving that much money to one player? 

I am glad the browns didn't pull the trigger on a trade like this.

6 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

While I somewhat agree, look at the success Ryan Pace has had in later rounds... Adrian Amos(5th), Jordan Howard (5th), Eddie Jackson(4th), Tarik Cohen(4th). This is a franchise changing move for Chicago plain and simple.

I mean, none of those guys really are anything more than solid starters.  Maybe more if you think highly of Adrian Amos.  Jordan Howard is a solid back, but I don't view him as an elite talent or a tier below that either.  You're not actively replacing him.  And you're talking about 4 picks out of 12 Day 3 picks in the last three seasons.  And I don't think the the Mack acquisition really overly changes the Bears' fortune.  They were probably a ~7 win team without Mack, not sure they're more than a 9 win team with him.

17 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I agree. What people dont understand is when teams are so good at drafting it doesnt really matter the draft picks.

In 2017 the Rams didnt have a 1st round pick (traded it away for Goff) or a 2nd round pick (traded it away for Watkins) and they still had a great draft because they found Kupp and Johnson. Everett is a guy to develop with McVay to be his version of Reed and I really like Reynolds  and Ebukam I think could now shine being the full time starter. This year the Rams didnt have a 1st round pick (traded it away for Cooks) or a 2nd round pick (traded it away for Peters) or a 5th round pick (traded it away for Talib), yet the Rams ended the draft with 11 picks and so far they found a gem in Kelly at running back and out of the 11 rookie offensive tackles, Noteboom had zero QB pressures in the preseason and he played the most snaps with 71 of those rookie tackles so he is already showing promise as the future replaced for Whitworth. So again teams who draft well can find guys no matter where in the draft thats why I personally dont mind what the Bears did. The Raiders on the other hand, they have a long history of bad drafts. Even this draft was questionable. Its going to be interesting to see what they do with all these picks they now have. The one thing is certain, Gruden has set a standard now that no matter how well you play at certain positions, you arent going to get paid what you deserve. I will find it hard to believe they will find a player to the level of Mack on defense but if they do and its time for that player to get paid, I want to see if Gruden is going to pay him or ship him out just like he did Mack. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, none of those guys really are anything more than solid starters.  Maybe more if you think highly of Adrian Amos.  Jordan Howard is a solid back, but I don't view him as an elite talent or a tier below that either.  You're not actively replacing him.  And you're talking about 4 picks out of 12 Day 3 picks in the last three seasons.  And I don't think the the Mack acquisition really overly changes the Bears' fortune.  They were probably a ~7 win team without Mack, not sure they're more than a 9 win team with him.

In the end though, everything for Chicago just hinges on Trubisky regardless. You mention that they only have FA to improve their team the next two years, but really they're the kind of team at this stage that is just hoping that time and development will improve their team to the next stage. They have a lot of young pieces, it just hinges on if they pan out. Trubisky in particular. So this trade and some of their other offseason moves set them up to go all in while Trubisky is on his rookie deal, a model we've seen work out in a few cases recently, and a lot of teams try to replicate. If Trubisky pans out they could be a legit threat as soon as this year. If Trubisky doesn't pan out, the next two years were going to be a waste of time anyway.

Personally, I like it. You're betting on Trubisky regardless. May as well go all in on that while you can.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Let's be real, Chicago's hopes are still pinned on Trubs. If he's not good, the team won't be good. With or without Mack. If Trubs is the real deal, Mack helps make the team even better. 

Yep. I'd like this move a lot more if I had confidence in Mitch being good and ready, but he's an unknown. If they think they are ready to be a contender, I'm all for this move for the bears.

27 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

You want to look at this reasonably for the Raiders considering they got a fair haul in draft picks, but they just threw away the best player in his prime on their team. And they also just cut a player they just traded a 3rd round pick for just a few months ago. And cut one of the best punters in the league because of his "attitude." That only seems to be the foundation of the domino effect with what may be to come. The Gruden off-season has been nothing short of miserable in terms of morale building. There's not reason to look at it any other way up to this point.

Yeah it's looking grim. Best hope now is that the picks turn into glorious players and/or they win immediately. 

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

In the end though, everything for Chicago just hinges on Trubisky regardless. You mention that they only have FA to improve their team the next two years, but really they're the kind of team at this stage that is just hoping that time and development will improve their team to the next stage. They have a lot of young pieces, it just hinges on if they pan out. Trubisky in particular. So this trade and some of their other offseason moves set them up to go all in while Trubisky is on his rookie deal, a model we've seen work out in a few cases recently, and a lot of teams try to replicate. If Trubisky pans out they could be a legit threat as soon as this year. If Trubisky doesn't pan out, the next two years were going to be a waste of time anyway.

Personally, I like it. You're betting on Trubisky regardless. May as well go all in on that while you can.

No doubt.  If you liked Trubisky coming out of North Carolina, nothing that Trubisky did last year is going to weigh much against you especially since they hired a HC who should be a better fit.  If you were one who questioned him (like myself), there really isn't anything other than hope that's tying their hopes to.  Trubisky last year was bad.  Point blank.  Offensively, I just don't see this as a team whose going to hang with Green Bay offensively.  And I'm not sure they have enough offensive weapons to compete with Minnesota IF the Bears can't take advantage of that Vikings' OL.

Archived