Netflix "The Witcher" Series - Season 2 now Streaming

MKnight82

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

I did a quick Google search and if it is what I think it is then its completely dumb. Not to mention unfounded.

Did you do a search on scrotum armor? That wasnt unfounded, those were actual screen shots. Those two links pretty much sum up much of the contreversy about a story based mostly in medieval Eastern Europe. Again I have to watch it, but its only because of Henry Cavill. 

https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/witcher-netflix-story-changes-made-due-to-american-slavery/

https://trend24h.net/nz/the-witcher-netflix-adaption-looks-like-a-woke-mess-witcher

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Did you do a search on scrotum armor? That wasnt unfounded, those were actual screen shots. Those two links pretty much sum up much of the contreversy about a story based mostly in medieval Eastern Europe. Again I have to watch it, but its only because of Henry Cavill. 

https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/witcher-netflix-story-changes-made-due-to-american-slavery/

https://trend24h.net/nz/the-witcher-netflix-adaption-looks-like-a-woke-mess-witcher

It's a fictional land. It doesn't take place in medieval Eastern Europe.

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

As someone who hasn’t read the books or played the games, is it worth a watch?

From what I've seen so far, I'd say so.

They name drop a bit in terms of politics, so there's some references and brief mentions of world politics/geography that someone not versed in the world wouldn't get, but it's no more of a thing than say, Game of Thrones. I had a terrible time keeping the houses and geography straight when I started watching GoT, but I still loved it. So I imagine it would be similar. Names and kingdoms would blur for a bit, but a lot of it is side info anyway.

Watched 3 episodes, so far I'm enjoying it. I think Geralt and Yennefer have been the strong points so far with everything else being and bit hit and miss. The dialogue/story telling is a bit clunky and unclear at times. The actress for Triss has been a bit flat in her delivery so far.

I can see the episodic structure and disconnected stories putting newcomers off. It's kinda tossed people into the deep end. A lot of terms get thrown out with no background. 

Edited by sunnygsm

So this series is for the book readers. They're following the books pretty damn closely. That's where the episodic nature and the time skipping around comes from. The books do it too and are very confusing to start out with.

The advice I give in knowing where an episode takes place in the timeline is to determine if there are cuts to the Lioness of Cintra in the episode. If she's in the episode, you know you're pre-Cirri. If she's not in the episode, you know Cirri is running around. If anyone is interested, I'll post the order of when the episodes take place chronologically when I finish.

@Calvert28 I'm 5 episodes in and there's been no wokeness that I've seen. The only real bit that's even visible is the actress for Triss being a mixed race woman instead of the redhead, as @sunnygsm has indicated, she's terrible. But the only reason that bothers me is that I followed the production of the show a little too much. And you know I've got a pretty discerning palate for that sort of ****ery. I'll also add that they didn't pull a single punch when they made this ****. Holy **** that third episode was absolutely ******* wild and easily as graphic as anything we saw on GOT. That **** was insane. 

@RuskieTitan is dead on. I really don't like Cavill, but he's fantastic as Geralt. It's really well done by him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So this series is for the book readers. They're following the books pretty damn closely. That's where the episodic nature and the time skipping around comes from. The books do it too and are very confusing to start out with.

The advice I give in knowing where an episode takes place in the timeline is to determine if there are cuts to the Lioness of Cintra in the episode. If she's in the episode, you know you're pre-Cirri. If she's not in the episode, you know Cirri is running around. If anyone is interested, I'll post the order of when the episodes take place chronologically when I finish.

I've never read the books, I've only played the second and third games, but once I realized things weren't necessarily happening in sequence, I honestly didn't have much trouble keeping things straight. I feel like they did a good job of showing the same characters at visibly different points in time to show that one sequence is happening earlier than another.

Calanthe definitely is the best representation of this, though. She really easily highlights when you are. But there were moments with Mousesack, Foltest, etc.

• Like 1