Netflix "The Witcher" Series - Season 2 now Streaming

MKnight82

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Season 2 is lightyears better than season 1

In what ways? I was so pumped for this show but season 1 was average IMO. I finished it but it was a chore at times. I really want to like this show and kinda want to watch season 2 so I'm curious why you feel it's so much better. 

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

In what ways? I was so pumped for this show but season 1 was average IMO. I finished it but it was a chore at times. I really want to like this show and kinda want to watch season 2 so I'm curious why you feel it's so much better. 

There is one clear narrative path. Character motivations are sound and obvious. There is a much tighter focus without the huge gaps in time skipping around. Having the characters established is also a huge help. The relationships around the central characters actually play well into the dynamics of the narrative and they make you root for certain outcomes. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

There is one clear narrative path. Character motivations are sound and obvious. There is a much tighter focus without the huge gaps in time skipping around. Having the characters established is also a huge help. The relationships around the central characters actually play well into the dynamics of the narrative and they make you root for certain outcomes. 

This sounds like everything I felt was wrong with the first season has been fixed. Good news. Might give it a shot. Thanks!

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

I finished Season 2 last night, it is definitely superior to Season 1 imo. As @Deadpulse said the plot benefits from being tighter and in chronological order, unlike Season 1. Also I feel like they found their scope and feel of the universe better this time around, whereas Season 1 feel like a poor man's Game of Thrones. 

Just some general quick hitters (no spoilers):

- The special effects were solid in Season 1 but were improved in Season 2 imo. 

- They really have some gorgeous sets and site selection for the show.  Everything just looks beautiful. 

- I can't believe I'm saying this, but they got rid of all the gratuitous nudity and it makes the show better. It was hard to take the show seriously at times in Season 1. 

- The show benefitted from the actress that plays Ciri getting a little older between seasons.  She was a little stiff in S1 but was a lot better in S2 imo. 

- S1 was based on a couple of short stories which made the plot feel jumbled together. This season it feels like one story is being told with a lot of different players involved.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is something I felt was pretty bad in S1. Glad they improved upon it. Based on what you and Deadpulse have said (among others), I think I'll give this another shot. Thanks for not including spoilers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I finished Season 2 last night, it is definitely superior to Season 1 imo. As @Deadpulse said the plot benefits from being tighter and in chronological order, unlike Season 1. Also I feel like they found their scope and feel of the universe better this time around, whereas Season 1 feel like a poor man's Game of Thrones. 

- They really have some gorgeous sets and site selection for the show.  Everything just looks beautiful. 

- I can't believe I'm saying this, but they got rid of all the gratuitous nudity and it makes the show better. It was hard to take the show seriously at times in Season 1. 

- The show benefitted from the actress that plays Ciri getting a little older between seasons.  She was a little stiff in S1 but was a lot better in S2 imo. 

- S1 was based on a couple of short stories which made the plot feel jumbled together. This season it feels like one story is being told with a lot of different players involved.  

I agree with all of this. That bolded part in particular was a very underrated positive of season 2. Glad they stopped trying to ape GOT and instead do their own thing.

Edited by Xenos

21 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I also like to point out that I hated

Spoiler

Geralt being sidelined in the season 1 finale.

Binged season 2.

The good:

- Timeline makes more sense and far easier to follow

- Diverse storylines makes the show much interesting

- VFX is lightyears better

- Acting is improved from last year

The bad:

- The writing. It's better than season 1 but It just feels.....empty? I think this is the weakest part of this show. For example, Jaskier. Apart from the Sandpiper storyline, he was.....useless? Yenn gave him a stone in the final fight and it turned out to be....useless? Yenn's potion too. The whole 'getting chaos back after sacrifice' was campy and really unoriginal imo. Yennifer as a whole is poorly written. This whole season she did dumb action after dumb action.

Not all the writing is poor, I do like Ciri's growth in terms of training and struggling. I think that reflects well, but small parts like that are overshadowed by poor elements elsewhere. Like the Elven storyline was poor. Everyone and their mother knew that alliance would screw up. I did like the reveal at the end but meh.

I also wish they had more small adventures along the way. The first episode of the season was the strongest because it was stand alone. More inserts like that would've been nice.

Overall I thought it was an improvement on season 1 and an enjoyable season. I just think it could've been much better if it had better writing.