Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I usually care way too much about animals in shows, but probably because of Daenerys, I don't think I'll really care at all when one of them dies.  I'd be pretty bummed if the big one died though.

I hate how easily Cersei got back into power.  At the end of last season I argued that she was done, and she was, and now she's a legitimate force again.  As others have said, the whole thing was definitely expedited for the show because that was much too neat for Cersei. 

The show is starting to get good again I think.  I don't think the show has ever been BAD, but for a while there it's only been okay. 

Given how they are flying through narrative content, I think the decision to have the last 2 seasons be 7 and 6 episodes respectively was a purely financial one.  With everthing that has happened, they could have rather easily made these first 3 episodes into 6 imo.  Sam's scenes are finally interesting and they are breezing through them.  I would have liked to have checked back in on the Hound.  They could have expanded what's happening at the wall, all we've seen there is Bran going through on his way to Winterfell.  The siege on Casterly Rock/sacking of Highgarden could have been it's own episode.  Plenty more they could have dove into content wise without the show feeling like it's stalling.

You have to give props to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for the Highgarden scene as well.  He was able to convey shock, anger, hatred, and resignation over the course of about a combined 5 seconds over two quick shots without saying a word.

Cersei's revenge scene was just absolutely savage.  Lena Headey pulls off ruthless as good or better than any one else on the show.

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Given how they are flying through narrative content, I think the decision to have the last 2 seasons be 7 and 6 episodes respectively was a purely financial one.  With everthing that has happened, they could have rather easily made these first 3 episodes into 6 imo.  Sam's scenes are finally interesting and they are breezing through them.  I would have liked to have checked back in on the Hound.  They could have expanded what's happening at the wall, all we've seen there is Bran going through on his way to Winterfell.  The siege on Casterly Rock/sacking of Highgarden could have been it's own episode.  Plenty more they could have dove into content wise without the show feeling like it's stalling.

You have to give props to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for the Highgarden scene as well.  He was able to convey shock, anger, hatred, and resignation over the course of about a combined 5 seconds over two quick shots without saying a word.

Cersei's revenge scene was just absolutely savage.  Lena Headey pulls off ruthless as good or better than any one else on the show.

I don't think the Casterly Rock and Highgarden stuff would have worked as it's own episode. The whole point of Casterly Rock was meant to show that it was way easier than expected, so giving any significant time to that would be forced. Highgarden was also a quick and relatively painless battle also. It would definitely have been not nearly enough for a full episode IMO.

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Jon Snow is such a ridiculous dude in meetings. He goes to meet the Wildlings to get them out of Hardhome, and then says he killed Mance without mentioning that it was a mercy arrow. He goes to Dragonstone for dragonglass, then spends the entire first conversation bickering without ever mentioning the word dragonglass once before sulking that he's a prisoner.

When Ygritte says, "you know nothing, Jon Snow", she is correct. That dude wouldn't know a clear and concise topic sentence if his major love interest repeated it over and over for the better part of 2 seasons.

He's just so damn sulky. He's perpetually in a parent teacher conference

I can't exactly blame Jon for his poor meeting skills since this is a show that needs conflict. 

Jon Snow goes in and says, "I do not want to be King of the North, I don't mind bending the knee to you because I don't even want to rule, I'm not your enemy and I want you to succeed in defeating Cersei, but right now I have to do everything I can to defend the world from the White Walkers, so I will not bend the knee now because I will not be able to help you fight Cersei now.  If you give me the dragon glass that you have no need for whatsoever, I will take all I can back to Winterfell, where I will usher somebody whom you trust completely so that they can see the White Walkers for themselves, so that they can speak with everyone else who has seen them, and so that I can prove to you that they are, in fact, real.  It should be considerably easier to defeat the White Walkers if you were to lend your dragons, which you have not used yet because you don't want to kill civilians.  Once we've neutralized the threat of the White Walkers, I will swear fealty to you and together we can dethrone that horrible woman and you can have the Iron Throne.  I know this is difficult for you to believe, but I literally died trying to fight them.  You can ask Melisandre if you find her; she brought me back to life.  Or just hop onto one of your dragons and take a flight to see for yourself."

That happens, and you've got a whole season worth of conflict between Daenerys and Cersei eliminated and less of a struggle between who remains and the real threat.

Don't want to sound like an arse (at least no more than usual), but a LOT of the complaints about Game of Thrones and its characters are entirely unwarranted.  Sometimes you have to have them neglect meaningful conversation points in order to fabricate conflict and suspense.  I'd much rather see more people complaining about pointless romance arcs taking place instead of important plot development and more important characters. 

But I guess some people just want to watch a show where entire episodes are devoted to characters riding on horseback or sailing on ships so that they don't have to question how one person got to one point so quickly, or complain about how simple conversation skills could gloss over major conflicts that need to be there in order for the show to have... You know... Conflict. 

6 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Fine. Are they trying to beat us over the head with something?

Yes. I'm guessing the dragon not named after her brother or not Drogon, will die first. Definitely some good stuff this weekend. The pace of the show can be jarring given how gradual it had been in the past.

15 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Yes. I'm guessing the dragon not named after her brother or not Drogon, will die first. Definitely some good stuff this weekend. The pace of the show can be jarring given how gradual it had been in the past.

Both of the other dragons are named for her brothers. I would guess Viserion goes first . I agree that I think Jon would be destined for the dragon named after Rhaegar, so he would likely be the second dragon down (if that in fact occurred). Drogon, given that he's gotten way more pub and play in the story, and has the most "character" and is Dany's baby, would be the third and final to bite the dust, if it goes that far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I usually care way too much about animals in shows, but probably because of Daenerys, I don't think I'll really care at all when one of them dies.  I'd be pretty bummed if the big one died though.

I hate how easily Cersei got back into power.  At the end of last season I argued that she was done, and she was, and now she's a legitimate force again.  As others have said, the whole thing was definitely expedited for the show because that was much too neat for Cersei. 

The show is starting to get good again I think.  I don't think the show has ever been BAD, but for a while there it's only been okay. 

Needs more Greyworm, tbh.

Just now, malak1 said:

Needs more Greyworm, tbh.

I've earned this, but I still maintain that if people had a choice between more Greyworm and one of 30 other characters, if they were being honest and not just disagreeing with me because it's funny, deep down... They'd choose a different character. 

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Both of the other dragons are named for her brothers. I would guess Viserion goes first . I agree that I think Jon would be destined for the dragon named after Rhaegar, so he would likely be the second dragon down (if that in fact occurred). Drogon, given that he's gotten way more pub and play in the story, and has the most "character" and is Dany's baby, would be the third and final to bite the dust, if it goes that far. 

Yeah, forgot that. I was referring to Viserion. Rhaegal will stick around because of the Jon connection. 

Any meaning behind Melissandre saying "I have to die in this strange country, just like you.”

2 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Any meaning behind Melissandre saying "I have to die in this strange country, just like you.”

I would assume that she has seen her death in the flames, and either Varys' death is at the same time, or she has also seen Varys' death.  I'm guessing that when the magic dude took Varys' junk, the voice he heard back clued him into his demise.