Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think a lot of people speculated or argued that the way he leaves Brienne would be interpreted as him going to kill Cersei - especially after learning what she had just done.

How?  His explanation to Brienne shows nothing about him thinking that way.

What had Cersei just done to make Jamie want to go kill her?  Kill Rhaegal?  Why would that affect Jamie at all?

Edited by seminoles1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - if Jon is to take things over - what to do with Drogon?

Yeah I can't imagine Drogon is gonna be too happy when his "mother" dies.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

See if Drogon will let him ride. That or set him free to roam.

Jon riding Drogon off into the sunset to be with Tormund and Ghost would....not be terrible?

Just now, seminoles1 said:

What had Cersei just done to make Jamie want to go kill her?  Kill Rhaegal?  Why would that effect Jamie at all?

You know, I've really ran out of logical explanations for this series. In the end though it was just Jaime's addiction to Cersei that pulled him back to be with her. Stupid AF but whatever, that's what happened.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

See if Drogon will let him ride. That or set him free to roam.

He probably could ride the dragon - he's "blood" - but not unless he's shown taking Dany out.
But - if Jon takes over - would he want to rule with the symbol of so much death by his side?
Perhaps - and this is all conjecture - Jon takes the throne and decides Drogon must die. An interesting plot twist.

I saw a over the course of this season that they were turning Dany into a mad queen, but I don't agree that they had any good foreshadowing (other than words and lore about past Targaryen's) or believable plotline for it to occur. Of course she had violent moments over the prior 7 seasons, but any character wanting to stake a claim to the throne had those moments, killing to advance your claim for power is not foreshadowing for losing your mind and killing thousands of innocent woman and children to me. I knew she was not going to be the lovable queen we were sold over the prior seasons, but I thought the plot of what turned her would be believable. I thought the background plot of Varys and Tyrion would materialize and they would back Jon behind her back, rumors would spread throughout her armies and people and after she'd defeated Cersei, she'd be left with the choice of giving up the throne or sacrificing everything she stood for to get it and in the process having to kill the man she's grown to love as well as her advisors she previously trusted and any other man that stood against her claim. That would be a believable reason to lose ones way and go mad. I guess we're supposed to buy that losing Jorah, Missandae and two of her dragons was the reasoning, but they just chose such poor timing in the episode to me, seemed so forced.

Episode itself was so well shot, some of the scenes downright beautiful, music was superb too. Overall just can't get on board with the writing. Seems like they came up with how they wanted it to end and quickly pieced together a plot they thought would make sense. Lacked any real hard hitting choices for Dany though was just a flash and then, hmm I'll go mad now I think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - was the horse Arya rode off on at the end - the same horse seemingly killed at the beginning?
If so - did the Lord of Light bring the horse back in order to get Arya to safety (?) - perhaps to carry out her prophesy and take out Dany (green eyes).

Regardless - I thought the horse a terrific mystical effect.

There's a quote about a white horse appearing and the person who rides it is named Death. It's foreshadowing Arya being death, which is probably foreshadowing her killing Dany tbh but since she's already killed the NK this season I think it's gotta be Jon who finally gets a meaningful kill.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

What had Cersei just done to make Jamie want to go kill her?  Kill Rhaegal?  Why would that affect Jamie at all?

Honestly, that's how I took it. It seemed like Jamie was listing off all of the bad things he's done for Cersei, only to have her turn her back on him. Then he ends it with "She's hateful, well so am I", I took that as he's finally able to do what needs to be done.

I'm fine with how they went out, but that's how I took that scene. My fiance took it the complete opposite though, so it's really just a credit to NCW for the acting. 

• Like 2

If the setup was for Dany to become the Mad Queen, they shouldn't have spent so much time going for the "I'm not here to be Queen of the Ashes" garbage. I mean one of the most powerful scenes of this entire show is when Dany gains control of the Unsullied and has them specifically kill the masters, BUT NOT HARM ANY WOMEN OR CHILDREN.

Now she's just out committing genocide for sport while at the same time wondering why nobody in Westeros loves her?

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There's a quote about a white horse appearing and the person who rides it is named Death. It's foreshadowing Arya being death, which is probably foreshadowing her killing Dany tbh but since she's already killed the NK this season I think it's gotta be Jon who finally gets a meaningful kill.

Makes me think this season would be so much better with Jon killing the NK and Arya instead of killing who we all thought she would kill having to kill Dany in the end. I love Aryas arc over the series but they would be really overdoing it if she basically single handedly killed all of the major characters to put Jon on the throne. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I saw a over the course of this season that they were turning Dany into a mad queen, but I don't agree that they had any good foreshadowing (other than words and lore about past Targaryen's) or believable plotline for it to occur. Of course she had violent moments over the prior 7 seasons, but any character wanting to stake a claim to the throne had those moments, killing to advance your claim for power is not foreshadowing for losing your mind and killing thousands of innocent woman and children to me. I knew she was not going to be the lovable queen we were sold over the prior seasons, but I thought the plot of what turned her would be believable. I thought the background plot of Varys and Tyrion would materialize and they would back Jon behind her back, rumors would spread throughout her armies and people and after she'd defeated Cersei, she'd be left with the choice of giving up the throne or sacrificing everything she stood for to get it and in the process having to kill the man she's grown to love as well as her advisors she previously trusted and any other man that stood against her claim. That would be a believable reason to lose ones way and go mad. I guess we're supposed to buy that losing Jorah, Missandae and two of her dragons was the reasoning, but they just chose such poor timing in the episode to me, seemed so forced.

Episode itself was so well shot, some of the scenes downright beautiful, music was superb too. Overall just can't get on board with the writing. Seems like they came up with how they wanted it to end and quickly pieced together a plot they thought would make sense. Lacked any real hard hitting choices for Dany though was just a flash and then, hmm I'll go mad now I think.

Yes - but it was also was established that she'd lost Jon's true love for her. I dont need to buy into the whole "Mad Queen" concept other than to accept that she'd come to learn she'd lost the one's she'd loved and who loved her romantically and now needed to rule by fear.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If the setup was for Dany to become the Mad Queen, they shouldn't have spent so much time going for the "I'm not here to be Queen of the Ashes" garbage. I mean one of the most powerful scenes of this entire show is when Dany gains control of the Unsullied and has them specifically kill the masters, BUT NOT HARM ANY WOMEN OR CHILDREN.

Now she's just out committing genocide for sport while at the same time wondering why nobody in Westeros loves her?

I'm with you here. Its just not in her character to be such an awful person and she has been built up as a force of good over the entire series just to turn into a genocidal maniac in literally what two weeks at the end? 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

I do think we are all forgetting about Greyworm and the rest of the Unsullied.  If Dany goes down, I highly doubt that they're just going to accept whoever steps in for her.  I could see a Jon v Greyworm fight which could be epic.  

Also, Tyrion is the only one alive who can keep a promise to Bronn, so I expect him to make an appearance at some point.  

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They have it set up that way, but seems too predictable.  I still think the end result will be a Tyrion-Sansa alliance ruling after all the carnage is done next week.  

Agreed.  The series is largely based on the war of the roses (Starks are Yorks, Lannisters are Lancasters) and that ended with a marriage between the two houses.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Question - was the horse Arya rode off on at the end - the same horse seemingly killed at the beginning?
If so - did the Lord of Light bring the horse back in order to get Arya to safety (?) - perhaps to carry out her prophesy and take out Dany (green eyes).

Regardless - I thought the horse a terrific mystical effect.

Tinfoil hat theory from the books that the show doesn't go into: Sandor is a warg.  Grandfather was a kennelmaster, and his horse Stranger had his personality, and would kick or bite anyone but him.  When I saw that horse, I was really hoping it was a wink at that in the books, and the horse is Sandor in his second life.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah.  Given that Dany literally chained her "children" up in a basement when the other one burned one innocent child, that's a big jump to intentionally mowing down all the civilians in King's Landing.  Would have been better IMO to just have her say "screw the bells, I'm burning Cersei anyway" and have her destroy the castle.  Just that would cause thousands of deaths, and would be more believable.  Plus, it would create actual conflict over whether she was justified, instead of making everyone watching write her off as a full on bad guy.

• Like 3