Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I have been upset with a lot of decisions and portrayals, and Dany's arc is not one of them. After a couple days of reflection I am quite satisfied with it.

5 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I really need to get out of this thread. I'm completely fine if people weren't a fan of how it went down. Let your opinion be known, move on, and I can respect that. I agree it was rushed and that was a huge reason it wasn't as great as it could have been.

When people need to bring the ones who did enjoy it down, it's annoying. When people say it didn't fit her character, they're wrong. That's not opinion. Jon walking right by his best friend without saying goodbye is something that does not fit his character. Everything Dany did was set up over the entire series and was a part of her character whether people choose to see it or not. 

Are we calling Ghost his best friend? Ghost has barely been with Jon since he went North of the wall, in the show anyway. The whole Ghost/Jon arc has been disappointing, but I didn't have a real issue with that scene 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Do people think Dany has permanently gone mad and is gonna try to kill Jon for betraying her (and to solidify her power), or is she going to come back to her senses and realize what she has become?

My guess is once she settles down and sees the destruction, she will tell Jon she is too dangerous to rule, and Jon will let her live in exile with Drogon.

She’s the one who goes north instead of Jon

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I think people are just debating because we're on a forum for that purpose, whether it be sports or TV shows. There's no right answer to how you should feel about a TV episode.

Exactly what fun would a forum be if people didn't disagree or offer opinions. There are people fine with, people who think it was rushed and fine with it, and people thinking it was completely out of character and pissed off about it and everyone in between. 

Personally I liked this episode better than the NK one even if I didn't agree with the direction or some of the writing decisions. I still think the battle of the bastards is one of the  best shot battle sequences of all time. 

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Do people think Dany has permanently gone mad and is gonna try to kill Jon for betraying her (and to solidify her power), or is she going to come back to her senses and realize what she has become?

My guess is once she settles down and sees the destruction, she will tell Jon she is too dangerous to rule, and Jon will let her live in exile with Drogon.

this would probably be my least favorite resolution, honestly. I think once you go this route, it's all in either way (either Dany becomes queen and is crazy and won't be a very good queen, or she dies and doesn't become queen). This particular resolution would be a cowardly route to me. 

31 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I think they did the build up pretty well so it would still be shocking to the viewer when she pulled the trigger, but makes sense after you add it all up. If they had done more, you would have expected it. It had to be shocking for Jon to do what he is likely going to do next episode, otherwise he would have turned on her earlier, and people wouldn't have sympathized with her for this long. 

Thats a good point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Exactly what fun would a forum be if people didn't disagree or offer opinions. There are people fine with, people who think it was rushed and fine with it, and people thinking it was completely out of character and pissed off about it and everyone in between. 

Personally I liked this episode better than the NK one even if I didn't agree with the direction or some of the writing decisions. I still think the battle of the bastards is one of the  best shot battle sequences of all time. 

I'd agree that The Bells was a better episode than The Long Night.  I don't think either is in the show's top 5.  Maybe not in the top 10.  I'd have Blackwater over both.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I have been upset with a lot of decisions and portrayals, and Dany's arc is not one of them. After a couple days of reflection I am quite satisfied with it.

Are we calling Ghost his best friend? Ghost has barely been with Jon since he went North of the wall, in the show anyway. The whole Ghost/Jon arc has been disappointing, but I didn't have a real issue with that scene 

I always took him as his best friend, but maybe I'm already a little biased as their connection is a lot stronger in the books. 

Either way, seeing how he greeted Ghost outside of Craster's Keep and how Ghost refused to leave Jon's dead body, they had some sort of relationship. It's out of character for the most honorable man in Westeros to simply look at Ghost and walk away. 

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A lot of thoughts about "The Bells".  All in all I thought it was.......ok.  Wasn't a ****show like the haters say, wasn't an all time great episode to me either.  

The Pros

• Major props to Miguel Sapochnik.  That episode was beautifully shot, editing, and squeezed every last ounce of what they could get out of that plot.  Not up to par with his other classic episodes, but that was purely because the material wasn't as good.
  • The music was really good too, probably top 5 in the show's run.  Fit the mood and tone of the episode pitch perfectly.
  • Arya and Sandor.  Their sendoff with the Hound convincing her to live was my favorite part of the episode.  Arya calling him by his actual name and the look he gives her after she says thank you was just perfect and a great way to end their storyline together.
  • I liked the Clegane fight, especially his comments of "that's you, that's always been you" when seeing how hideous and deformed he became from Qyburn's machinations.  
  • Jon's horror at realizing what Dany is truly.  She's worse than Tywin, worse than Cersei, worse than Ramsey.
  • Tyrion and Jamie saying goodbye to each other was a great moment, tied together by Tyrion telling Jamie all that he meant to him and Jamie returning that love despite the fact his love for Cersei was his own undoing.

The Cons

• WTF was Cersei doing?  She was basically the "This is fine" meme and did nothing else.
  • Grey Worm just becoming a straight butcher because he experienced personal loss was a bit disappointing.  I get it, but I thought his character was better than that.
  • The Euron/Jamie fight was just dumb and a waste of valuable screen time.  Just let Drogon roast Euron and go from there.  Being stabbed twice in the side didn't even really slow Jamie down, so what was the point?
  • Dany going full genocidal maniac.  I get burning your enemies and destroying the power that fought against her, but randomly burning everyone is just straight up insane.  She killed more kids than anyone in the show, likely more than all of them combined.  If there are a million people in the city, then she likely just killed several hundred thousand
  • Now I get that i'm being nitpicky, but I found it odd that Drogon has essentially unlimited ammo.  He spit out many times his own mass in fire and seemingly never needed to recharge.  I know it's magic, blah blah blah, but cmon, at least have him eat some people or rest a minute or do something to reload.  Seems like he just spit fire for about 30 minutes straight.

The Meh

• Pretty unsatisfying conclusion to Jamie and Cersei.  Appreciate them getting to go out together, but getting buried in rubble was the biggest meh part.  I liked how Cersei broke down and her façade crumbled at the end, but it seemed an odd ending to me.
  • Qyburn getting straight murked by the mountain was kind of funny, but it was such an afterthought for a character they've built up over several seasons.
  • What was the point of the Golden Company?  Seemingly just to make it seem like it might be an even fight I guess.  When Grey Worm kills Homeless Harry there was maybe the worst CGI of the series behind him with the smoke and ruins of the GC.  Bad enough that I noticed it in the moment.
  • I get using Arya as a tool to care about the devastation on the ground, but it didn't really pay off for me.

What I'd like to see in the finale

• Drogon has got to go.  Whether it's a convenient ballista that Arya finds, Jon going action hero with his Valyrian Steel sword to Drogon's head, some sort of points, something.  No way can any dragon survive this series.
  • Jon needs to be the one to kill Dany, even if he dies in the attempt.
  • Bran needs to do....something, anything.  Warging Drogon seems the obvious, but it would at least be a satisfying obvious, especially if he made Drogon eat Dany.
  • I'd like to see some sort of prologue that hints at how things end up after the series.  With the amount of characters and houses involved in this show, I don't think an ambiguous ending would be that satisfying.

This list is pretty close to mine. I was fine with the Qyburn part. I'll second the Arya part. Her ground perspective didn't resonate with me as much as it maybe should have. I guess I liked the role reversal with Grey Worm. You might say he become more of a monster by being humanized. 

50 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Really though, D&D played both sides of the fence with her character. 

On one hand she's had those impulses, but on the other hand she's gone out of her way basically the entire story to not kill innocent people. If they wanted to make it more apparent that losing her closest aides kind of allowed her worst instincts to be unchecked, they should've made it more obvious and more gradual, not just a flip-of-a-switch kind of situation.

She's been talked off that ledge every time though. It's not like she starts to do it then decides not to because she changed her mind by herself. Having Tyrion talk her down, especially recently, is what's stopped her. And it's been a pretty major storyline. Hell. They've shown Jon give her a dozen or so side glances since they teamed up. She's been on the edge forever.

She pretty much told Tyrion she's kept him as her hand because he's the only one who keeps her in check. She's wanted to attack King's Landing since she got to Westeros. 

She was set to replace/kill Tyrion and Jorah (of all people) talked her out of it. And he was her biggest supporter in existence. Even he knew how important it was to have someone to keep her in check.

• Like 1

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I'd agree that The Bells was a better episode than The Long Night.  I don't think either is in the show's top 5.  Maybe not in the top 10.  I'd have Blackwater over both.

Yea which is one of the disappointing things in these last episodes. IMO most of the early season fighting scenes are better then what we have seen this last season. 

Arya should walk into the Red Keep to Dany wearing Jorah's face, and Arya/Jorah says that the red god brought him back and (because Jon left) they bang. When they're finished, Arya pulls off Jorah's face and says "when you play the Game of Bones, you win, or you die" and then stabs Dany.

who says no

Edited by JBURGE

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Blackwater is probably the most overlooked great episode of the show at this point, tbh. It's been so long and there has been so much spectacle in episodes since then that people tend to forget about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

She's been talked off that ledge every time though. It's not like she starts to do it then decides not to because she changed her mind by herself. Having Tyrion talk her down, especially recently, is what's stopped her. And it's been a pretty major storyline. Hell. They've shown Jon give her a dozen or so side glances since they teamed up. She's been on the edge forever.

She pretty much told Tyrion she's kept him as her hand because he's the only one who keeps her in check. She's wanted to attack King's Landing since she got to Westeros. 

She was set to replace/kill Tyrion and Jorah (of all people) talked her out of it. And he was her biggest supporter in existence. Even he knew how important it was to have someone to keep her in check.

Thats another good point.