Week 1 Thoughts

deeluxx3

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

During our winning streak last year and after the Jax and then KC win in the playoffs people still wanted Mularkey fired.

Not even winning by itself cures anything it seems lol

fair enough, but when you've got steelers fans unhappy with tomlin and falcons fans unhappy with quinn, it's kind of a laugh to me when someone acts like we need to be happy with whoever happens to miring us in mediocrity or worse any given year. of course it's possible we'll be just fine under vrabel, we're all hoping for that, but after that absolute abortion of an opener being chided for not being all sunshine and roses rings a bit hollow.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

fair enough, but when you've got steelers fans unhappy with tomlin and falcons fans unhappy with quinn, it's kind of a laugh to me when someone acts like we need to be happy with whoever happens to miring us in mediocrity or worse any given year. of course it's possible we'll be just fine under vrabel, we're all hoping for that, but after that absolute abortion of an opener being chided for not being all sunshine and roses rings a bit hollow.

After seeing losses like 59-0 and 55-7 it's hard to consider yesterday a "abortion of an opener" lol

Another week one observation...a ton of interceptions around the league.

The difficult part of evaluating a new coach is who was available beside your coach, and when did the decision get made...so if you fire a guy a year late did you miss out on a top candidate. I know people see McVay, Kyle Shannahan, or whoever they preferred and feel like maybe we missed out.

Evaluating a coach is like evaluating players, a good GM should find the right guy...I think JRob is a good GM so I am pretty confident that Vrabel will be a good coach.

Anybody that wishes to judge based on a first game need not look too far back at our franchise to see a guy who had perhaps the greatest debut with our franchise just to be fired 24ish games later.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

After seeing losses like 59-0 and 55-7 it's hard to consider yesterday a "abortion of an opener" lol

look at the talent on those teams compared to this one. not much of a comparison.

i don't even have that much of a problem with vrabel's coaching yesterday. but i certainly don't think he's earned any real amount of goodwill.

Just now, -Hope- said:

look at the talent on those teams compared to this one. not much of a comparison.

i don't even have that much of a problem with vrabel's coaching yesterday. but i certainly don't think he's earned any real amount of goodwill.

I mean the talent on the 59-0 roster was largely the same team that just went 13-3 the year before and then finished that year 8-8 after a change at QB.

I agree I don't think he's earned any good will. Don't think he's earned a ton of criticism yet either. I just think gross overreactions to week 1 football that honestly wasn't even all that bad prior to Mariota losing feeling in his hand on offense and after we finally shored up the run D on defense. Ups and downs from week 1, certainly mediocre(at best), but far from the worst thing I've seen.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I totally get what you're saying, but just to throw my two cents in here...  Whether we lose 27-20 or 59-0, a loss is a loss to me. Regardless of the score or circumstances surrounding why we lost the only absolute is the result at the end of the game. If we have enough of these at the end of the year a lot of changes will be made (not calling for Vrabel's head here lol) but that's just the reality.  Whether all our losses are by a point or whether we get blown out every week how much we lost by week to week is pretty irrelevant when you're sitting at home in January. 

In the first half we ran every single first down prior to our 2 minute drill, largely to no success. It's the reason we scored only 3 points.

Get rid of that **** and we may have a good offense.

Talent is there, but guys were missing tackles left and right. On that kick off return for a TD there is a guy who just runs himself out of the play like he was trying to let him score. Whoever it was that took that bad of an angle I would find a replacement.

For the first time in a very long time we had guys open in the passing game. The QBs struggled to get them the ball consistently, but guys were getting uncovered. I wasn't used to that at all.

Mariota struggled last year, but when you're at the games and can see the whole field and not just what they show on camera, you can see guys just absolutely did not get open. Yesterday those incompletions were on him and not the WR.

I wonder if the miscommunication between he and Davis was another option route. As far as I know, those are a huge part of LaFleur's offense and were not part of Robiskie's at all, so there is going to be a learning curve there, for both of them.

From the 1 yard line I like Vrabel's decision to go for it on 4th down. 

From the 3 yard line I don't....

And yeah that challenge was a joke unless he just wanted an extra long timeout... lol. If you're gonna challenge something get some info from someone upstairs before throwing red flags all willy nilly.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

From the 1 yard line I like Vrabel's decision to go for it on 4th down. 

From the 3 yard line I don't....

And yeah that challenge was a joke unless he just wanted an extra long timeout... lol. If you're gonna challenge something get some info from someone upstairs before throwing red flags all willy nilly.

And that set of downs was the one time in the game we didn't want to run which was a bit strange. 

I wonder what type of video access the booth has. If it's only the tv broadcast I don't think they showed any replays until after we challenged. There really isn't much time when an offense attempts a quick next play. Winning challenges is tough - I took a quick glance at past numbers and typically only around 10 coaches per year were over 50%.

Like I said, I posted early in the week that I expected the offense to struggle out the gate...(the bad run D to start really surprised me, Adoree having a horrible game in D did too)...

This was far from ther worst game ever... but I think the weirdness of it amplifies that "bad feeling"...

- the absurdity of the delays... just sitting there (I was at a sports bar with the local fam club) waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

- the injuries... it seemed surreal... the dirty hit on Lewan, the hit on Mariota (legal), then Walker going down for the season...

- the crappy refereeing... again... in Miami... again

- (is it just me or do we always get bent over in Miami... the dirty hit by Vernon, then that weird sequence last year,  and now this)

- and for me worst of all, my kiddo's first game... he's 6 months and won't remember... but we couldn't have given him a more "Titan" game as his first game. Lol... sorry buddy... welcome to a lifelong of suffering with this team... at least dad will be there alongside with you for the ride. 

48 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Like I said, I posted early in the week that I expected the offense to struggle out the gate...(the bad run D to start really surprised me, Adoree having a horrible game in D did too)...

This was far from ther worst game ever... but I think the weirdness of it amplifies that "bad feeling"...

- the absurdity of the delays... just sitting there (I was at a sports bar with the local fam club) waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

- the injuries... it seemed surreal... the dirty hit on Lewan, the hit on Mariota (legal), then Walker going down for the season...

- the crappy refereeing... again... in Miami... again

- (is it just me or do we always get bent over in Miami... the dirty hit by Vernon, then that weird sequence last year,  and now this)

- and for me worst of all, my kiddo's first game... he's 6 months and won't remember... but we couldn't have given him a more "Titan" game as his first game. Lol... sorry buddy... welcome to a lifelong of suffering with this team... at least dad will be there alongside with you for the ride. 

All this.....

The delay made the game feel worst that it really was....you had over 2 hours to sit and think of the mistakes made, hoping they'd be magically fixed then came back to new problems, to think about for 2 more hours and then complete it all with season ending injury to one of the most popular and best Titans on the team.

I really don't feel like I watched the game. 

I started watching the game out on my phone. Got home to a delay. I had to leave to take my son to a basketball thing...still delayed and watch the finale in a gym with in and out reception. 
So I never felt like I even watched the game. It doesn't feel like a real game. 

But overall, i don't get the same feeling of dread some others feel. 
I don't have the same feeling of Vrabel sucking.

I think there were some standard coaching second guessing that could be done, but nowhere do i feel we are in for a season of dread. Looking over the NFL landscape we had a respectable outing compared to some of these other 1st year coaches.

Archived