Wideouts: Panic or Perseverance - What to do? [Update: Jordan Matthews Returns]

Kiltman

13 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Im not sure what all pro you are expecting the Eagles to go grab in week 3 and roll out there a play. Jeez.

Nobody available now is really that good or they are major headaches.

JMatt isn't good but he is a competant WR who knows the offense QB and coach and can give you meaningful playing time this week. Nobody else you are getting right now is giving you that. This isnt Madden 

This! Not one WR from Gordon to Dez would be able to step in and give meaningful snaps (actually know the offense) this week and possibly next. They could run a route or two but no way would they comprehend DP Offense schematically.

He's familiar with not only the offense but the building, staff, players and locker room. Most importantly he already has a relationship on and off the field with Carson which shouldn't be under estimated either.

Obviously I've always like JMatt. Man put up 900/1000 yds ( sat week 17) and 8TD both of his first 2 seasons. Something Agholor accomplished last year that has all of a sudden made him irreplaceable in some eyes??

Good signing IMO as long as he's healthy!!

Not sure why you don't think he isn't an upgrade over fricking DeAndre Carter or Kamar Aiken. We needed a stopgap player who can jump in right away. That is Jordan. If he catches 3 slants a game that's already much better production and worst case scenario he is 4th on the depth chart when the injured guys are coming back. Best case scenario he has some kind of a resurrection and can be a threat.

7 hours ago, furti said:

Not sure why you don't think he isn't an upgrade over fricking DeAndre Carter or Kamar Aiken. We needed a stopgap player who can jump in right away. That is Jordan. If he catches 3 slants a game that's already much better production and worst case scenario he is 4th on the depth chart when the injured guys are coming back. Best case scenario he has some kind of a resurrection and can be a threat.

Because JMatt can catch 20 passes off little 4 yard drag routes all he wants but his production doesnt make up for the fact that his inability to play outside hurts the offense in a bigger way than his 0 YAC catches help us.

He'll force Agholor outside. And Nelly can play outside, but hes so clearly more explosive/more of a threat from the slot.

And no-one is saying that he wont be more effective than Carter or Aiken. But thats just saying that he will be better than basically nothing ie those guys' production.  

But there 100% were a lot of better options out there, whether its off the street, trading a 5th or 6th for Gordon (btw if Gordon does end up killing it in NE like I think he will, I will forever hold that against Howie for not making the move), or trading for another one of the umpteenth WRs around the league 

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Because JMatt can catch 20 passes off little 4 yard drag routes all he wants but his production doesnt make up for the fact that his inability to play outside hurts the offense in a bigger way than his 0 YAC catches help us.

He'll force Agholor outside. And Nelly can play outside, but hes so clearly more explosive/more of a threat from the slot.

And no-one is saying that he wont be more effective than Carter or Aiken. But thats just saying that he will be better than basically nothing ie those guys' production.  

But there 100% were a lot of better options out there, whether its off the street, trading a 5th or 6th for Gordon (btw if Gordon does end up killing it in NE like I think he will, I will forever hold that against Howie for not making the move), or trading for another one of the umpteenth WRs around the league 

I'm not necessarily saying Matthews was a better acquisition than Gordon, but we needed immediate help. From that perspective, he is a better player on the short term, as he is familiar with the system. He has a rapport with the qb. I think the trio of Alshon, Agholor and Matthews is gonna be pretty good, but definitely not upper echelon. As you could see, Agholor was moved around as he was practically the only threat on the team with all these injuries. He is being used on all these jet sweeps, handoffs,(fake handoffs), now he is getting some deep shots as well. I am pretty sure, Matthews and Agholor will rotate on the outside and in the slot. Also I am confident, the emergence of Nelson is not entirely attributable to him moving to the slot. He just got his head straight, I am pretty sure he can be super explosive on the outside as well. He definitely has the speed for that. 

Bottom line. Eagles needed receiver help asap. This time of the year it is not easy to pick up a player with some talent who can pick up the offense in a heartbeat. JMatt may not be the best reveiver he has ever been (and even at his best times he was subject to criticism), but he is definitely an upgrade over the guys we have and can step right away. 

Archived