Wideouts: Panic or Perseverance - What to do? [Update: Jordan Matthews Returns]

Kiltman

Im not sure what all pro you are expecting the Eagles to go grab in week 3 and roll out there a play. Jeez.

Nobody available now is really that good or they are major headaches.

JMatt isn't good but he is a competant WR who knows the offense QB and coach and can give you meaningful playing time this week. Nobody else you are getting right now is giving you that. This isnt Madden 

J-Matt is a very bleh signing, but Pete said it best: he has a good knowledge of the playbook and he can contribute immediately given that he’s medically cleared. He gives the team a steady presence in the slot - Aggy can move to the outside and be a temporary deep threat since he has the speed to pose that threat.

Signing a Dez or trading for a Marvin Jones seems like a great idea but I doubt it’s very feasible to Howie and co. They have to be smart with their money and draft capital since the teams on rented time until Wentz takes up a good chunk of the salary. Might as well just hold on to what we have and hope that J-Matt can hold down the fort until Alshon returns.

JMatt is strictly a slot guy, and that's where Agholor should be so yeah...

At least Dez is a true outside guy with some potential upside.  If that Pats and the Great Bill B can take a flyer on an idiot like Gordon, I don't understand why Howie and Co don't take a gander at Dez.

We traded for Jay last year, someone is always available. We could have easily gotten a more fleet of foot guy with a couple years left on his contract and just used him opposite AJ next year when Wallace is moved on from. This could have been a move for the future as well as now....just like Jay. So, you would have traded one of the comp 6th rounders? Big loss. JMatt will just slow this offense down, like he did when he was here and actually healthy and catching passes. I really hope they don’t think Aggy can just move outside now. Experimenting in week 3 seems desperate and dumb to me. Just gotta hope Wentz is good enough to negate poor WR play and he puts the TEs to work. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Jordan Matthews is offically back. All of your dreams have come true

I was super high on JMatt coming out of college but I even have come to grips with the fact that he is garbage. Its crazy because he was such a different playet at Vandy. Made contested catches, was physical, had YAC ability.....and since coming into the league all he has been able to do is run slants, drags, and ins/outs, and just falling down after every catch basically.

I honestly dont even think we can call him serviceable at this point. Why sign someone who's just gonna get hurt every game? We already have dudes dropping like flies. 

And what makes anyone think the guy is even the same player he was with us (which even then was meh)? Since being traded he did nothing in Buffalo when he managed to stay on the field which was seldom....and they didnt even keep him despite having maybe the worst WR group in the league, remained unsigned until NE got desparate enough that they made their 145th WR move of the offseason and signed him, only to cut him a week later. Again, one of the worst WR groups in the NFL in NE as well. 

I guess looking at it glass half full, it could be okay because Carson seems to have trusted him in 2016 a lot and he is familiar with our offense and the players for the most part...

But I think were gonna make a move for a WR. Im almost positive we will in the next few weeks. Even with Jeffrey back, its still just he and Agholor at WR. With Wallace gone, we dont have someone to play outside opposite Jeffrey....Matthews is strictly a slot guy. And Agholor is a much more dynamic playmaker in the slot. So JMatt really almost kinda could have more of a negative impact based on that alone. 

I think Howie will pull a jedi move and trade one of our corners (Darby or Mills) and a pick for a pretty well known guy at WR. I could even see it being Amari Cooper. His value is as low is its gonna be, but he is still a good player IMO. And Howie could probably convince that dope Gruden to let him bang his wife, so Im guessing we'd get him for peanuts. 

And as much as people are calling for Mills' head , I could see the corner we trade being Darby. Cause even Darby was pretty horrendous Sunday...his tackling gave me horrible Byron Maxwell flashbacks. 

Also I still have hope that Mills can be a solid #2. And he's gonna be much cheaper than Darby will be anyway. Sidney Jones needs to be moved outside, put Maddox in the slot, and Douglas as our dime d-back. Hopefully Douglas can develop into our #2 because I like him a lot. And Maddox looks promising as a slot corner.

Archived