Thoughts on Goff?

FrantikRam

I think Jared is a good player. But when I watch him play, I don't see a top 10 QB just yet. He's close and I think he can get there this year.

But I'm catching flak on another Rams forum for saying this - mind you, I'm not saying he's not good or anything bad about him at all - he's just not a top 10 QB and for the Rams to win in the playoffs we need him to be better.

Is that a crazy opinion? I know "top 10" is subjective but what I mean by that is I think there are 10 QBs in the NFL who would make the Rams better right now. Obviously if you factor in his age there's not another QB I would rather have. But right now I just don't have him to that level yet.

I'd say he's top 12 with plenty of opportunity to get higher on that list. He's young and has plenty to prove. Look at Deshaun Watson, he's definitely fallen from last years performance. I say give the guy some time and let him prove he deserves to be talked about with the elites. I see some things he can definitely improve upon which is a positive sign.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

I think Jared is a good player. But when I watch him play, I don't see a top 10 QB just yet. He's close and I think he can get there this year.

But I'm catching flak on another Rams forum for saying this - mind you, I'm not saying he's not good or anything bad about him at all - he's just not a top 10 QB and for the Rams to win in the playoffs we need him to be better.

Is that a crazy opinion? I know "top 10" is subjective but what I mean by that is I think there are 10 QBs in the NFL who would make the Rams better right now. Obviously if you factor in his age there's not another QB I would rather have. But right now I just don't have him to that level yet.

His comp is Matt Ryan. If you look at Ryan career, outside of the seasons he had with Shanny (one of them was the MVP season where he took the team to the Superbowl), Ryan is a career 4100yd passer 2:1 td to int ratio and has only had one season where he threw at least 30tds. So if people say Ryan is a top 10 QB then I certainly think Goff is or at the very least is on his way.

To me Goff has all the traits to be great. I was listening to Dilfer talk about Goff on "The Herd". Colin asked him whether or not its the system that is carrying Goff or that Goff is doing a bit of the carrying. Dilfer told Colin that people dont understand how hard it is to perfect what McVay is throwing at Goff to command this offense. Dilfer basically said Goff processes things so great so fast and makes it look easy so thats why the Rams offense looks so smooth and hard to defend. Dilfer said Goff has a great intermediate game 10-20 yards and him and Akili Smith was the best deep ball throwers he has ever seen. He said Goff will catches fire with his deep balls with Cooks being there. 

I personally think Goff is on his way to being a top 10 QB and thats all the Rams need from him because of great coaching and personnel. He can make all the throws and he is has been great on the road. 

He was a top QB last season. I feels like with Goff we’re fine. He’s running the plays. But like some had said, when things aren’t as great. Can he hard carry? We don’t really know that yet. And we can’t blame him for the Atlanta game. Zero experience as a team and first playoff game. There are throws he makes(Woods vs Atlanta) that just wow you. There are times when he’s in full command of the huddle. He’s still super young and to put a ranking on him

is silly. The rams haven’t clicked on all cylinders and we’ve won 2 games by 33 and the other by 34.. All I want is a SB and if someone ranks him 32 and we still win! I won’t give a rats arse. Goff is perfect for what Sean needs.. and he still needs to hit on his deep ball.. some rust and not having the WRs timing is still killing us.. these next 2 games will be a huge test for Goff..

Honestly he doesn't even need to be top 10 with the talent we have. However he keeps the defenses honest with how he can stretch the field...the deep ball with woods is gonna start connecting here soon...

Him and Mcvay work wonders together. And really I don't care if it's more Mcvay or more Goff, all's I care is it's working. We have some real test over the next two weeks let's see if they make us proud.

I believe the Rams can win a SB with Goff THIS SEASON. Someone mentioned that the Broncos won a SB with a less than effective Payton and Osweiler all because they had a dominant defense under Wade. IF the Rams defense are similar to that 2016 Broncos team, then they can win with Goff. Goff is certainly better than Payton and Osweiler during that season and the defense looks just as scary as the Broncos. Moving forward, I trust Snead and McVay to continue to be aggressive and put a roster and coaching staff around Goff to help him succeed. Who cares how great individually he is. Do people ever stop to think, how good Brady wouldve been had he been a Cleveland Brown? Or how good Mahomes can be if he didnt have Reid as his head coach? Like no. So with McVay and the system with the supporting cast, Goff is really good and is going to get better because last year he was the 2nd youngest starting QB. He is still really really young. 

The one mystery I have and @jrry32 please help me out, but during the draft people were saying it was split between Goff and Wentz. Was it Snead who wanted Goff and Fisher wanted Wentz or the other way around?

Goff has great potential. If you saw some of his throws vs Cards then you know his throws are a thing of beauty.  

His accuracy is very good. He threw balls where only his guy can catch them. 

Things I want to see him improve on are better decision making, as in knowing when to throw the football away, getting better with throws on the run, and better movement in the pocket. 

But again he’s only 23. Time will tell. If he can correct the above, then you’re going to see a perennial top 3 QB. 

Also let’s not get lost in the Wentz vs Goff debates. Let Wentz take all the shine for now like how Peyton Manning did early in his career. Then Brady quietly snuck up behind him and became the goat. 

I think Goff is a pretty good QB right now but he still needs to improve his decision making and deep ball. 

The next thing i want to see with Goff is to see if it's capable of taking the next step and be a QB like a Brees, Rodgers, Brady an Elite ! 

If Gurley is down, is he capable to take the leadership and win the game ? Is he capable of driving game winning drive when the game matter ? 

It had to be see if he's capable of that and then we can say if he's an elite QB or just a good QB. 

I love Goff. I think he has such a high ceiling based upon his accuracy, intangibles and coolness under pressure. The only thing that bothers me and has bothered me since his days at Cal is his spiral can be so weak. It's not a real issue as long as his ball is catchable, and Peyton was fine with it, but watching a guy like Mahomes throw such a pretty ball leaves me a little enviable

I don't think you should be catching any flak for saying you don't think Goff is a top 10 QB. But it's a bit of a nebulous statement. Do you mean you think there are (at least) 10 specific starting QBs you rate higher than him? Or are you saying "top 10" in more of a conceptual sense? From a conceptual sense, I can see someone saying he isn't "top 10" meaning... "elite." But I think you would be hard pressed to find 10 starting QBs you think are definitively better. I feel like at least 4 of them would come with the same sort of questions/concerns/shortcomings that would make it very arguable.

Personally, I don't get hung up in ratings and comparisons much anymore. People can say Goff is anywhere in their rankings. I am just happy to see him out there leading the offense, doing it well, and improving constantly. I said at the end of his rookie season that was all I wanted. To see him continually improve and get better. And I have not been disappointed at all. Not even during his hellish rookie season. He is a sponge. He is soaking up the lessons. He is learning. He is improving.

The kid is a good QB. Time will tell if he becomes a great QB. But if he ends up just being a good QB and we get a SB win out of it, I will be happy. Good is certainly "good enough."

I think if he keeps playing the way he's playing he will be an MVP candidate this season. If the Rams finish 1 or 2 in the conference and he puts up 35+ TD and 5000yards passing he will be a top 3 candidate on that alone. If (big IF) Mahomes keeps this up and Chiefs finished 1 or 2 he will get it because there defense is atrocious and ours is top 10 + Gurley will take away. Really hoping Mahomes comes back down to earth and Goff get's a crack at MVP.

He's hovering around 9 or 10 for me in the league as a QB.

Archived