NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

My random thought of today is that the draft never happens how you think it will (certainly IMO).

-As a Pats fan, my team will pick up someone who I initially react to as a massive reach, but on further research - he turns into one of those "would have been selected in top 15 if it wasn't for X types" - think Rivers, Gronk, Easley maybe. This is why I predict Simmons, BUT, it won't happen.

-The 'consensus' top 10 will NOT fall how everyone expects. 

-There will be someone who everyone expects to be drafted high fall into 2nd round for one reason or another (for example, even though the reason was obvious, most of us still had Myles Jack going top 10)

- I wonder if there will be another pre-draft grenade dropped online - like Tunsil's bong mask or something.

FUN TIMES!! :D excited

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, eagles18 said:

Can we come to an agreement that donovan mcnabb is a bitter jealous ex. 

Yes, he was like that even when he was on the team.

Our roster looks strong, but it is totally possible we don’t meet his NFCCG goals through no fault of Carson.  If he can’t stay healthy by then, no crap we will be looking for someone else.  I can say that about any player in the nfl.  

I met McNabb and his dad after a sixers game.  Donovan kinda rolled his eyes and walked away, but his dad was very engaging and even offered me some football advice.  Donny’s been a spoiled kid his whole life lol

Edited by KellChippy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Mcnabb's always been interesting to me. Always a good to great QB but never 1 to get his team over the top and get a Super Bowl win.

In his defense he always had a garbage supporting cast. I guess it was offset by how stacked the Jim Johnson defenses were 

19 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

In his defense he always had a garbage supporting cast. I guess it was offset by how stacked the Jim Johnson defenses were 

I was just gonna say, when the Eagles were at the height of the powers from 2000 to 2004, McNabb had zero quality targets other than Owens that one year. I know later Desean Jackson came around, and Kevin Curtis wasn't horrible. Still, those teams weren't the same as the early 2000's squads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm thinking Clowney is moved tomorrow. Just hope it's for a nice amount. I don't want to trade him simply to trade him, but I also don't want to see him get Lawrence/Clark money...

...yet.

Yeah, I would love to trade for him outside of the fact he is going to demand $20+mil per season.  He makes sense for us based on need, although paying him and not Mack would upset some people(including me).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Overrated Qb. Scrub never threw past 4k yards wtf?

Yeah you would think he would’ve eclipsed that since Andy dialed up the pass 90 times a game

But in the end it comes down to McNabb’s peak being in a different era where running the ball was more prevalent. Also having Trash and Stinktson as your top receivers is brutal. Donny definitely made up for the loss of passing yards with his rushing ability too

Overrated? Nahhh. Scrub-like when it came to being clutch in a playoff game? I’d agree with that 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I was just gonna say, when the Eagles were at the height of the powers from 2000 to 2004, McNabb had zero quality targets other than Owens that one year. I know later Desean Jackson came around, and Kevin Curtis wasn't horrible. Still, those teams weren't the same as the early 2000's squads.

Definitely agree. The ‘08 team was actually pretty stacked - I think their expected win-loss record was 12-4. But yeah they got shredded by the AZ Cards in the NFCCG, the defense let them down in the biggest game of the year 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

What about Westbrook as a receiver?

I remember the Todd Pinkston and Fred-Ex days. Ah, bad times.

It’s crazy to think, but you could convince yourself for just a moment that their DBs had better ball skills than their actual WRs. Asante Samuel had near elite ball skills, Lito Sheppard’s were great, and then Dawkins had some too. (They had Sheldon Brown too, perhaps a better overall player than their other corners.) I can’t think of another team in history where that’d be the case.

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 2