2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

32 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Do the Packers consider grass vs turf in their draft evaluations ?
Does it even matter ? GB typically plays 9-12 grass games / season depending on which divisions they are facing

Does anybody consider it?

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

The only reference I've ever heard was Wolf talking about building " a team to win on the grass in December/January"
But that was in the 1990s

I don't think anyone really builds for it anymore. I mean, has anyone conducted a study that shows one particular style of football is particularly more effective on grass than turf? I feel like most of what we here are just stereotypes without any research supporting them.

6 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I don't think anyone really builds for it anymore. I mean, has anyone conducted a study that shows one particular style of football is particularly more effective on grass than turf? I feel like most of what we here are just stereotypes without any research supporting them.

I can tell you that indoors/outdoors is more of the split than turf/grass. Like watching the Badgers play Ohio State at Camp Randall or The Horseshoe in the cold is night and day vs watching them on the fast track at Lucas Oil.

Scoring in elements you probably want more of a Jamaal Williams than an Aaron Jones. Eddie Lacy was always a stud in the cold. There's some merit to it, but if you've got a pass rusher at the top of your board you aren't going to even consider it for a position like that.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I can tell you that indoors/outdoors is more of the split than turf/grass. Like watching the Badgers play Ohio State at Camp Randall or The Horseshoe in the cold is night and day vs watching them on the fast track at Lucas Oil.

Scoring in elements you probably want more of a Jamaal Williams than an Aaron Jones. Eddie Lacy was always a stud in the cold. There's some merit to it, but if you've got a pass rusher at the top of your board you aren't going to even consider it for a position like that.

The indoor/outdoor thing may have some real validity to it. I'd like to see this kind of thing looked at.

Kyler Murray committing to football today initially made me hopeful another top defensive player will slide to #12...

On second thought, I wonder if it actually makes our #30 pick more valuable if he's sitting there late and a team wants to jump the Patriots and/or lock in that 5th-year option.

53 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Kyler Murray committing to football today initially made me hopeful another top defensive player will slide to #12...

On second thought, I wonder if it actually makes our #30 pick more valuable if he's sitting there late and a team wants to jump the Patriots and/or lock in that 5th-year option.

Who knows? 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:49 PM, rcon14 said:

Part of this is also probably because GB's EDGE position was absolutely atrocious.

I'd make the argument that Pettine's best pure pass rusher was Jerry Hughes when he was with the Bills.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, and I'd hope that he'd be able to adapt his scheme to fit his personnel.

Archived