2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I prefer that power type over finesse type.  Looks like I prefer Ferrell to Allen.  That's just player type.  What are Polite and Sweat like on that spectrum?

Also, Chase Winovich was like a mid round pick a couple months back.  Why isn't he being talked about at 30?  I had forgotten about him.

Why would we talk about a mid round pick at 30? Don't get what you're trying to say?

I know you like to throw out these type of statements, I'll give you one. If we take Chase Winovich at 30 I'll have a full fledged Norm style drunken outburst.

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I prefer that power type over finesse type.  Looks like I prefer Ferrell to Allen.  That's just player type.  What are Polite and Sweat like on that spectrum?

Also, Chase Winovich was like a mid round pick a couple months back.  Why isn't he being talked about at 30?  I had forgotten about him.

I can't comment on Winovich as I haven't watched any of him.  But I've watched plenty of Polite and Sweat.

Polite.  Dwight Freeney-esque.  Shorter in height.  Shorter arms.  Unreal burst.  Great bend.  Has a spin move.  Natural strip-sack motion, too.  Very nice agility.  I question whether he has the power you would ideally want.  And the arms are a big thing to me.  Doesn't look like he can disengage.  Plus side, he's hard to engage as he's slippery, quick and explosive.  And when I say DF-esque...I mean that in regards to his frame and quickness.  DF was a freak, not sure about Polite, but he has some of the same physical traits.

Sweat.  Ideal frame.  Long with good muscle.  Kind of an elite frame.  Shows pretty good power.  Very little in the way of bend.  I don't see a burst in him.  Plays hard.  Seemed to me like most of his sacks were clean ups after the DL caved the o-line.  Kid never gives up, always working.  Tends to play a little "high" for my liking.  Doesn't win fast.  Doesn't win with hands.  Wins with effort.  

Polite has so much more upside, in my mind.  Sweat, though, can play right away and be okay.  I'd like him at #30.  Not #12.  Not enough upside for #12 for my liking.  PFF had Sweat on one of those "overrated" lists, or something like that.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-six-over-hyped-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Winovich has been mocked to us a TON with our 2nd, for months now. It stopped recently, thank christ

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would we talk about a mid round pick at 30? Don't get what you're trying to say?

I know you like to throw out these type of statements, I'll give you one. If we take Chase Winovich at 30 I'll have a full fledged Norm style drunken outburst.

I believe he means “mid-1st round” which is also not true. What, Outpost, did you see maybe one draft guy that had Winovich that high? He is pretty consistently ranked 3rd round and later. Want no part of him at 30. Earliest I’d take him is 4th round, if we didn’t draft Edge in the first 3 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I suspect after the combine I won’t want Winovich at all.

He's more of a try-hard type of guy. You'll get 110% but it might not work very often against NFL OTs. That being said, I think he might end up being a Brooks Reed-type prospect (not just the hair) who's a solid rotational EDGE guy. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

He's more of a try-hard type of guy. You'll get 110% but it might not work very often against NFL OTs. That being said, I think he might end up being a Brooks Reed-type prospect (not just the hair) who's a solid rotational EDGE guy. 

His ceiling is so low... What I see consistently is e is old and winning with technique and experience in college. Low upside, but probably will safely be a consistent 4th edge guy. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Gary's a straight freak, supposedly the best athlete in college football, at 6'5 280. At 12 ok I can see an argument for passing (I wouldn't) but 30? No way in hell. If you don't trust your defensive staff enough to spend a late 1st on Gary than you probably should fire that whole staff. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  He doesn't pop off on the tape.  He's a good athlete, but not a great athlete IMO.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But the fact that his production throughout college has been pedestrian doesn't set off a bunch of red flags?  Maybe you invest in him at 30 if he's available, but I'd venture to guess there's someone whose significantly safer and offers a significant amount of upside.

Gary's a straight freak, supposedly the best athlete in college football, at 6'5 280. At 12 ok I can see an argument for passing (I wouldn't) but 30? No way in hell. If you don't trust your defensive staff enough to spend a late 1st on Gary than you probably should fire that whole staff. 

That may be.  However, there have been numerous "best athletes" with all world possible talent drafted that turned out to be coach killers.  I'd rather have the football player who has had proven production during a college career than a great athlete that played just ok.  A 1st round pick should have enough skill set where the position coach doesn't have to coach the crap out of him just to get production.  Pick 30 I'd probably do it ... at 12 ... nope.   

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  He doesn't pop off on the tape.  He's a good athlete, but not a great athlete IMO.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But the fact that his production throughout college has been pedestrian doesn't set off a bunch of red flags?  Maybe you invest in him at 30 if he's available, but I'd venture to guess there's someone whose significantly safer and offers a significant amount of upside.

The lack of production is what could push him outside the top 10, but I think the combine will be huge for him (and DK Metcalf). I have a hard time seeing someone with "significantly more upside" being available at 30

Just now, JBURGE said:

The lack of production is what could push him outside the top 10, but I think the combine will be huge for him (and DK Metcalf). I have a hard time seeing someone with "significantly more upside" being available at 30

How many times have we seen a guy with elite measurables and mediocre production throughout college hit big in the NFL?  It happens, but not very often.  How many times have we seen elite athletes with mediocre production flop in the NFL?  A LOT.  It goes on and on.  There's just way too much risk involved for me to even consider him at 12.  And it's probably going to be the case at 30.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

How many times have we seen a guy with elite measurables and mediocre production throughout college hit big in the NFL?  It happens, but not very often.  How many times have we seen elite athletes with mediocre production flop in the NFL?  A LOT.  It goes on and on.  There's just way too much risk involved for me to even consider him at 12.  And it's probably going to be the case at 30

you baby

let's just take all the safest prospects, where's the fun in that. We missed on Josh Jones so Gary would be guaranteed to hit

Archived