2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

9 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Few comments-

He had a good season for a sophmore and was crushing this year until he got hurt. Watch the tape (was on pace for well over 1000 yards)

Few college players have more than 1 year of solid production before going into the draft. That is normal. For example stud edge prospects every one likes Burns had 4 sacks his sophmore year. Polite had 2. 

Hawk was meh. VD was the athletic freak we should have taken. We could have also wiffed taking Michael Huff, a "valuable" corner.

I want to put a few things into perspective.  In 2017, his 39 receptions was T-224th among all CFB WRs.  His 646 receiving yards would rank 147th if he had qualified.  If you extrapolate his numbers this year over 12 games, he would have had 45 receptions, 975 receiving yards, and 9 TD receptions.  That would have had him rank T-166th in receptions and 45th in receiving yards.  Just to put more numbers into perspective, of the guys with at least 800 yards receiving only 7 WRs (Hakeem Butler, Jerry Jeudy, Justyn Ross, Darnell Moody, Jaylen Waddle, Xavier Ubosi, and Emmanuel Hall) averaged 18+ YPC in all of CFB.  Odds are he's not keeping up that pace with more receptions.  His 21.9 YPC was tied for top in CFB this year.  Of the guys with 20+ YPC this season, only 8 of 131 players caught 30+ balls last year.  That's a small sample size error right there if you ever going to see one.

The problem is Metcalf hasn't even had one good season.  He's had 7 games of good production.  That's not the standard.  Brian Burns averaged 14.5 TFL (a better stat for determining pressure) over the last two seasons, and he's averaged 7.7 sacks over the last 3 seasons.  And people are worrying that Polite is a 1 year wonder.  That's why people are lukewarm on him.  But we're talking about a position that is easy to produce, and he hasn't done it.

Hawk was meh, because he wasn't special.  Vernon Davis wasn't anything special.  And I think people are forgetting that Hawk was a good athlete.  Other than his broad jump, he tested well.  His 40 yard dash would have ranked T-6th, his vertical would have been 2nd, and been T-3rd for 3 cone drill.  Hawk was a damn good athlete coming out of Ohio State. Don't let your hate affect your opinion.  And didn't Michael Huff end up playing safety?

16 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

He's been ignoring mine....We should have taken VD. Ngata too would have been nice too. Hawk wasn't bad, just wasn't great. He wasn't a very fluid athlete but filled a need which TT liked doing with his ones.

For the love of all that is good, no we should not have taken a Vernon Davis.  Davis was an elite athlete at the TE position, but the production didn't match the athleticism.  Vernon Davis should have been an elite TE.  He wasn't.  Positional value probably gave Hawk a slight lean, but probably not significantly.  And calling Hawk a "fluid athlete" is selling him short.  He was a tremendous athlete.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Given the chance to redo the 2005 draft, I'd take Davis. He'd have put up freaky numbers with Favre and Rodgers. Hawk wasn't a bad pick by any means though. 

IF we're playing the do-over game, I'm playing Haloti Ngata.  There were two guys left on the tier for me: Hawk and Davis.  Davis said he didn't want to play in Green Bay, and I'm not sure there's really an argument that leads a TE to a more valuable position than WR.  What the Packers should have done was move down 3-4 spots, and then take Ngata.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That draft was the first draft I paid attention to as far as prospects.  The first draft I watched was Ahmad Carrol, but the Hawk draft was the first one I looked forward to and paid attention to as far as prospects.

I desperately wanted AJ Hawk.  I was terrified we would draft Reggie Bush, and I would have been fine with Mario Williams.  I really didn't consider any other option (at least I don't remember).

Drafting Hawk fifth overall even 14 years ago makes a hell of a lot more sense then than it does now, and Hawk still probably wasn't the best choice if you look at the whole draft.  And he had a good career.  

I think I was in love with Reggie Bush like most people were, but knew we weren't going to get him.  Mario Williams was the guy I wanted.  D'Brick was probably #2 on my board, and Hawk was my "safe" pick.  Since we just drafted Aaron Rodgers the year before, wasn't really in on the QBs.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF we're playing the do-over game, I'm playing Haloti Ngata.  There were two guys left on the tier for me: Hawk and Davis.  Davis said he didn't want to play in Green Bay, and I'm not sure there's really an argument that leads a TE to a more valuable position than WR.  What the Packers should have done was move down 3-4 spots, and then take Ngata.

We're still playing the "Davis said" game? He said it in SF, in front of their media, come on...

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're still playing the "Davis said" game? He said it in SF, in front of their media, come on...

It's not a game. It's a FACT.  I don't care where he was, he said it.  Hawk was the safe pick. The 'hindsight' game is what is getting old.

4 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

It's not a game. It's a FACT.  I don't care where he was, he said it.  Hawk was the safe pick. The 'hindsight' game is what is getting old.

Guess what, if he was talking in front of GB media he would've said how he wanted to play in GB and had no interest in SF. Can't believe people buy this stuff. Next time you get a new job and your boss walks in your office on day 1 and asks how you're liking it, you should say "well I wish company X hired me instead, but I'm here, so this will do I guess." Let me know how it goes.

I know I let my big ten fandom sway me way back then, I was all in on Hawk but I thought that was what the defense needed if it wasn’t Mario Williams. Knew he was a safe pick, remember hoping he was going to be our Urlacher. Part of me wanted to trade down to the middle of the round, the other part wanted to draft the best “now” impact player we could because I thought we were right there for another Super Bowl.

Did want a whole new thread for this, but threw up a quick, more unique mock that may spark some discussion

2nd lazy quick mock

Cut
Nick Perry

Resign
Clay Matthews, 2 years 10 million
ERFAs and RFAs

TRADE**
Packers give their 3rd and a 2020 pick that can vary between a 4th and 7th to the Pittsburgh Steelers for Antonio Brown

Free Agency
Within minutes of each other, Packers announce they have agreed to contracts with both Landon Collins and Earl Thomas.    3 years, 33 million for Thomas, 4 years 42 million for Collins.

Quinton Spain 2 years 8 million

DRAFT**

Washington offers their 3rd comp pick and their original 5th to move up from 14 to 12 to get a QB ahead of Miami.

Pick 14 - (Wash) Jachai Polite - EDGE Florida
Pick 30 -  Yodney Cajuste - T West Virginia
Pick 44 - Irv Smith Jr. - TE Bama
Pick 77 (Wash) - Miles Sanders - RB Penn State
Pick 114 - Mitch Hyatt - T/G Clemson
Pick 116 (Wash) - Will Grier - QB West Virginia

:Lombardi:

Archived