2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

DK Metcalf. 

I mean, what are the chances we have another WR bust?

With this coaching staff?  Probably pretty high.  That said, I probably would lean towards taking Metcalf in this scenario too

Its very early in DK, so couldn't provide my input. If Simmons is off the board, Oline would be my go to pick. I simply can't see a scenario, where oline shouldn't be our number 1 priority if a elite talent like Simmons falls at a position that influences every play. The rotational pieces at RB, WR, LB we can add later in the draft, and getting a premier oline talent would benefit the team much more.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I probably would’ve gone with DK as well had I been on. He’s got elite potential and he provides a receiving element to the team that we don’t already have with his deep threat ability. Not a fan of his concentration drops though.

Or his injuries, or his limited route running. If we want someone who can change direction and work himself open once Lamar scrambles, Metcalf might not be the best pick.

15 hours ago, Danand said:

Or his injuries, or his limited route running. If we want someone who can change direction and work himself open once Lamar scrambles, Metcalf might not be the best pick.

That doesn’t bother me so much. We’re not talking soft tissue injuries. Those are injuries that are seemingly a reoccurring problem. The neck injury is a freak injury that had he not received he likely easily eclipses 1000 yds receiving. His redshirt freshman season he was healthy. And his true freshman year he had a foot injury that again isn’t a tissue issue.

He’s only a redshirt sophomore. If he were to return and be healthy for the full season and put up a 1000 yds season on top of the combine he just put up, he’s a top 5 pick.

As it stands, this is a buy low scenario. I know it’s a situation where after a similarly low production (FTMP) Breshad Perriman pick, it’s easy to want to pass on a talent like Metcalf. But Perriman had hamstring issues which are known to be killer injuries because of how repetitive they can be. Perriman was also more of a Stephen Hill (wrong Stephen at first, two completely different sports) with a frame that was less stout and with less muscle.

Metcalf was benching 27 reps, his combination of strength and speed is next level. Worst case scenario he becomes another Torrey Smith type of player with plenty of deep threat ability that has some questionable hands. Best case he becomes an elite NFL receiver because of his elite physical tools. He’s essentially a rich mans Andre Johnson in terms of athletic talents. He could completely transform how dangerous our receiving core... if he works out. What’s more he looked really good with his routes at the combine. So while his route tree was limited, he’s shown he can do it. Plus with his strength he can separate with that if need be.

I still prefer JJ to DK, but there is no rule saying we can’t get both and if we just miss out on Jeffery Simmons, I’m all for taking an elite athlete that can be developed into a difference maker. Whichever rookie we select is probably going to see minimal snaps in his first season anyway. Would I rather those minimal snaps go to a potentially elite transformational athlete at the position we’ve most struggled as a franchise in its history? Or would I rather they go to some other player that we probably could pick a mid round option for similar results... just based off of our draft history? For me, it’s clearly a no brainer.

With how insanely bad we have been at developing wide receivers - maybe worst in the league, I wouldn't bet on us developing a pure upside player in Metcalf.

I also question if Metcalf is the right type for Lamar Jackson. Was it Stafford, Rodgers, Luck etc. I would be more confident drafting Metcalf.

His injuries isn't what scares me as well, but nevertheless he was only able to finish one season in a 3 year college career. He can be built like a tank and still be susceptible for various injuries. 

I hope Metcalf is drafted early, so we don't get a shot to pick him, also mostly because I want us to get that top oline talent. For as much as a big time wide receiver would help us, an oline would help us more.

Almost everybody recognized how we had a need for upgrading the interior oline - both because LG and C can be upgraded, but also because we have to prepare for a time after Yanda.

Now its draft time, and wide receivers and Josh Jackson are more sexy picks, and people tend to forget how we get nowhere if our Oline can't play to a certain level.

If a dynamic rusher falls to us either linebacker or Dline I think that’s the move but if not I’m hoping we draft OLine in the first even if we trade back a bit. It’s true we have never been good at developing receivers and in this new run heavy offense they will have less opportunity. If you build a beastly OLine that protects our QB helps the run game and helps the passing game because ppl can’t cover forever and the combination of a good oline and Lamar feet buying time the WR will have time to get open

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Now its draft time, and wide receivers and Josh Jackson are more sexy picks, and people tend to forget how we get nowhere if our Oline can't play to a certain level.

I don't think anyone is forgetting it. I'm certainly still a "Jeffrey Simmons-OL/Trade Down-BPA" guy myself. Every indication is the FO doesn't want to go IOL high though. So naturally, prospects at other positions are being discussed.

The Draft is like a movie/show, it's more enjoyable if you're familiar with all the characters(prospects). We can't keep the talk around here one note.

Archived