Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

The Athletic did a poll from it's team beat writers on where Brown would land this off season. Every team was either "no chance" or "a chance" except for us, who had us labeled as "a good chance". We were the only team I saw with that designation. The biggest problem was actually the compensation for the beat writers. Since #2 obviously is off the table, our second round pick could easily be beaten by a team like the Colts if they were willing to part with their late first round pick. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Athletic did a poll from it's team beat writers on where Brown would land this off season. Every team was either "no chance" or "a chance" except for us, who had us labeled as "a good chance". We were the only team I saw with that designation. The biggest problem was actually the compensation for the beat writers. Since #2 obviously is off the table, our second round pick could easily be beaten by a team like the Colts if they were willing to part with their late first round pick. 

Saw this article, too. I still don't know if that Colts offer would beat out our total compensation package, though. It just means that another pick would be needed. Maybe a 2nd+future pick. I would think outside of the AFC would be most ideal for them, which puts us in a great spot. So while we might not offer the highest pick, we might offer plenty in total compensation + no need to face Brown more than once or twice in the future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Saw this article, too. I still don't know if that Colts offer would beat out our total compensation package, though. It just means that another pick would be needed. Maybe a 2nd+future pick. I would think outside of the AFC would be most ideal for them, which puts us in a great spot. So while we might not offer the highest pick, we might offer plenty in total compensation + no need to face Brown more than once or twice in the future. 

Agreed. I still think we have to be considered the favorites. There's no guarantee that the Colts would go after him, though I will acknowledge they probably should. We know he doesn't like not being the man, and TY is still there, so that may be something Reich and Ballard don't want to mess with. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

No team willing to offer a 1st I'm guessing 

All I ever wanted was to lowball the Steelers. The question is how low can we go and still be the best offer?

I'm actually curious how many offers have they received. Is it 31 offers, or pretty much just 2 or 3? I could see most teams as being reluctant to trade for him given the character. Then remove several teams out of the equation simply because they don't need him. What the Steelers are left with is a relatively small market. With the way the steelers have painted themselves into a corner, the market isn't really favorable to them. So do they want to get rid of Brown at all cost, or do they want to get what he's worth?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

All I ever wanted was to lowball the Steelers. The question is how low can we go and still be the best offer?

I don't think that's all though. It still has to be high enough that it makes it worth their while. So how low can we go, still be the best offer, but be high enough for them too be okay with it

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that's all though. It still has to be high enough that it makes it worth their while. So how low can we go, still be the best offer, but be high enough for them too be okay with it

Having him in their locker room would be suicide. He's unhappy and not shy about it. 

They've made their bed. 

Did anyone really think all we would get is a third round pick for TO? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Having him in their locker room would be suicide. He's unhappy and not shy about it. 

They've made their bed. 

Did anyone really think all we would get is a third round pick for TO? 

They are already pulling back on the "hard to see him on the team" angle. I think there is a floor they are willing to accept in compensation, and there should be. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's on the roster to start the year. That locker room has always been a bit dysfunctional.

I do think there's a part of them that wants to continue to try and mend fences

Just now, Forge said:

They are already pulling back on the "hard to see him on the team" angle. I think there is a floor they are willing to accept in compensation, and there should be. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's on the roster to start the year. That locker room has always been a bit dysfunctional

They are going to transition tag leveon bell and neither guy will show up to camp. Do they really want to go through with that again?

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

They are going to transition tag leveon bell and neither guy will show up to camp. Do they really want to go through with that again?

They may or may not transition tag Bell. I don't think that they will. Doesn't make any sense to me. If they don't match, they don't get the comp pick for him and they don't need him with Connor and Samuels, especially at that price point when they have almost no money to speak of as is.

As for Brown, there is no indication that he would not show up, and it's just unfounded speculation that he wouldn't at this point. He showed up to the game in week 17. That locker room has always been combustible. They've made it work in the past. Time can heal wounds. Just have to wait and see if it can here as well. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

It all depends on how desperate, or not, they are to get him out of their locker room. We really just don't know. If they are desperate, then lowballing is the way to go. And perhaps this first wave of "offers" by teams was meant to gauge how desperate they are. I don't think anyone will increase their offer significantly until March. Because that's when we'll truly know whether they are desperate or not. 

But really, how often are players traded for what they're truly worth?

• Like 1

All the noise from the Steelers at the pro bowl and on twitter is dampening the flames and saying the media over exaggerated things. Steelers are in a SB window with Roethlisberger and I think they’ll mend the AB issues and suck it up with him for long enough to try and win one before Big Ben goes for good 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

AB loves the spotlight. Getting the ball, being the star, media attention, people in his mentions clambering for him to stay or come to the 49ers, it’s all a ploy for AB to stay in the news imo 

• Like 1