Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Elite defenses are harder to sustain than elite offense that keep you relevant nowadays in my opinion. Give me an elite offense with just a competent defense. Thats all I want. If you can do that, you'll be in fine shape. 

This is especially pertinent to us. Teams that usually have sustained success on defense have it because their QB is on a rookie deal.  Philly, Chicago, the Rams,  Jags (Last year), Minnesota was paying way below market rate for Keenum, LOB etc. One commonality is that when they were paying way below market rate for talent on offense, they could ******* on defensive talent. This is  a luxury we do not have, even if we're getting Jimmy G below market rate (Which might be true after this next FA period).  We still have a lot of cap, but it's not going to stay that way for much longer, which means our team needs to identify the system and roles that they want to employ for continued success. Shannahan, in my mind is no where near a hot seat because he's more than done that with sub-par offensive talent and we're still top 15 in the league. We have a crystal clear identity on offense that has garnered a lot of success despite terrible QB play at times.

The defense on the other hand, is not. Between the total failure to address the edge and the incredible regression of our corners, how we take on FA and what we address in Free Agency is going to be extremely telling on how we'll approach overall team building going forward on a more "regular" basis (however that can be defined). An example of what I'm talking about is going out and getting someone like Earl Thomas, then in two- three years, while Thomas is still playing at a somewhat high level (conjecture, I know), we'd spend a second rounder on a FS to be groomed for a year or two and this is after we took a corner in the first to be groomed behind Sherman, While Akhello and Moore are still locked in eternal battle for that #2 spot. 

But the system that I expect us to see going forward when it comes to addressing and filling out the roster is : 1 elite inside rusher (Buck) 1 Elite outside rusher (#2/What they wanted Solly to be??), One good to very good rangy LBer (Warner, what they thought they had in Foster), deep third FS and one lock down corner (Sherm for now), This seems to be the blue print in where we will invest money on defense. Rest of it will go to filling out mid tier guys and role players when needed (a la Ansah, Tartt, K'uann, then role players like Malcom Smith, Sheldon Day, Lee). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John232 said:

This is especially pertinent to us. Teams that usually have sustained success on defense have it because their QB is on a rookie deal.  Philly, Chicago, the Rams,  Jags (Last year), Minnesota was paying way below market rate for Keenum, LOB etc. One commonality is that when they were paying way below market rate for talent on offense, they could ******* on defensive talent. This is  a luxury we do not have, even if we're getting Jimmy G below market rate (Which might be true after this next FA period).  We still have a lot of cap, but it's not going to stay that way for much longer, which means our team needs to identify the system and roles that they want to employ for continued success. Shannahan, in my mind is no where near a hot seat because he's more than done that with sub-par offensive talent and we're still top 15 in the league. We have a crystal clear identity on offense that has garnered a lot of success despite terrible QB play at times.

The defense on the other hand, is not. Between the total failure to address the edge and the incredible regression of our corners, how we take on FA and what we address in Free Agency is going to be extremely telling on how we'll approach overall team building going forward on a more "regular" basis (however that can be defined). An example of what I'm talking about is going out and getting someone like Earl Thomas, then in two- three years, while Thomas is still playing at a somewhat high level (conjecture, I know), we'd spend a second rounder on a FS to be groomed for a year or two and this is after we took a corner in the first to be groomed behind Sherman, While Akhello and Moore are still locked in eternal battle for that #2 spot. 

But the system that I expect us to see going forward when it comes to addressing and filling out the roster is : 1 elite inside rusher (Buck) 1 Elite outside rusher (#2/What they wanted Solly to be??), One good to very good rangy LBer (Warner, what they thought they had in Foster), deep third FS and one lock down corner (Sherm for now), This seems to be the blue print in where we will invest money on defense. Rest of it will go to filling out mid tier guys and role players when needed (a la Ansah, Tartt, K'uann, then role players like Malcom Smith, Sheldon Day, Lee). 

Only a couple of little nitpicks I disagree with...

The QB on a rookie deal thing is a little bit overblown nowadays in my opinion. With almost every team, even the ones with elite QBs all having 20 million plus in salary cap space I don't really believe it is too much of a concern any more. Yes, you have to be competent in how you structure deals and actually plan ahead but by and large it has been figured out. 

Also, every niner fan wants Earl Thomas, the question is, does he want to be a niner? I haven't seen anything saying he is dying to come to SF.  

39 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

The QB on a rookie deal thing is a little bit overblown nowadays in my opinion. With almost every team, even the ones with elite QBs all having 20 million plus in salary cap space I don't really believe it is too much of a concern any more. Yes, you have to be competent in how you structure deals and actually plan ahead but by and large it has been figured out. 

It certainly helps, and I would continue to expect to see 4-6 playoff entrants commanded by teams on rookie deals, but as you said, it can mainly be about how you structure things. Coincidence or not, the highest percentage of the cap a super bowl winning quarterback has ever taken up is 13.1%, which is a record still held by Steve Young in 1994 in the first year. Only 4 quarterbacks since 1994 have ever taken up more than 11% of the teams available cap space, and 3 of them are hall of famers (Young, Manning, Brady), with the 4th being the weird outlier of Eli, though the guy played great in his playoff runs it can't be debated. So history has shown that you just need to be able to maneuver the cap and hit for the quarterback more than anything as you said (and have an all time great quarterback helps). Also, the narrative is a bit skewed just by results - Matt Ryan was like 15-16% of the Falcons cap a few years ago when they lost to the Pats, and they absolutely should have won that game. I don't think the fact that Matt Ryan took up an extra 3% of the cap really had much of a say in the end result of that game. Cam also took up more than 13% the year they lost to the broncos, I believe. So the narrative is a bit "playing the results" right now, as teams have shown that they can get there and potentially win with a quarterback taking up a higher percentage of the hit...they just haven't actually won lol. 

39 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Also, every niner fan wants Earl Thomas, the question is, does he want to be a niner? I haven't seen anything saying he is dying to come to SF.  

In fairness, how often do you hear about any pending free agent "dying" to go play some place? Money typically does a lot of the walking and talking in that situation. I don't really think about the player having any preference whatsoever most of the time unless it's pretty well documented. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Elite defenses are harder to sustain than elite offense that keep you relevant nowadays in my opinion. Give me an elite offense with just a competent defense. Thats all I want. If you can do that, you'll be in fine shape. 

Defense doesn't have to be elite, just very good in certain areas. A top 15 defense that is very good against the run and one of the better ones on 3rd downs and in the red-zone will take you far in this league, especially in the playoffs. I'm not asking for LOB 2.0

• Like 1

Donlphins CB Xavien Howard admits to hearing trade rumors as he prepares to head into the final year of his rookie contract.

Howard stated after the season ended that he wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league, besting Josh Norman's $15 million per year. We haven't seen any concrete rumors reported by the media, but there's speculation whether Miami will want to pay Howard accordingly when the team is in full rebuild mode. Howard is a 26-year-old (in July) fast-rising star and would certainly fetch a nice haul for the Dolphins draft picks-wise. His only concern is a knee injury history.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Donlphins CB Xavien Howard admits to hearing trade rumors as he prepares to head into the final year of his rookie contract.

Howard stated after the season ended that he wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league, besting Josh Norman's $15 million per year. We haven't seen any concrete rumors reported by the media, but there's speculation whether Miami will want to pay Howard accordingly when the team is in full rebuild mode. Howard is a 26-year-old (in July) fast-rising star and would certainly fetch a nice haul for the Dolphins draft picks-wise. His only concern is a knee injury history.

I really have to question what in the world the Dolphins are doing, to be honest, if they make that move. They'll pay guys like Albert Wilson and Amendola in free agency, but not pay the one draft pick who's actually blown up? So weird. I have no idea what's going on with their FO. 

• Like 1

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said the "jury's still out" on re-signing impending free agent OLB Za'Darius Smith.
Coming off an 8.5-sack season, DeCosta fears Smith's market will be "out of control," but he is holding out hope a strong crop of pass rushers will keep Smith in the Ravens' price range. "We’re optimistic we may have a chance to bring him back, but in some cases, it’s really not up to us," DeCosta said. "It’s up to what the market bears." With C.J. Mosley's contract also up, it is clear the Ravens are not going to get in a bidding war for Smith, likely meaning he will be playing somewhere else in 2019.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:
Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said the "jury's still out" on re-signing impending free agent OLB Za'Darius Smith.
Coming off an 8.5-sack season, DeCosta fears Smith's market will be "out of control," but he is holding out hope a strong crop of pass rushers will keep Smith in the Ravens' price range. "We’re optimistic we may have a chance to bring him back, but in some cases, it’s really not up to us," DeCosta said. "It’s up to what the market bears." With C.J. Mosley's contract also up, it is clear the Ravens are not going to get in a bidding war for Smith, likely meaning he will be playing somewhere else in 2019.

Ha! Let's raid the Ravens and sign BOTH Mosley and Smith! Bwahhaaa! :x

The Athletic's Nate Taylor believes there's a good chance the Chiefs release OLB Justin Houston this offseason.
Houston just turned 30 last month and has two years left on his contract. He's due to count a team-high $21.1 million against the cap in 2019. It's doable for the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes on a rookie contract, but Houston's play has slipped in recent years from superstar status to above-average pass rusher. Injuries have played a part. Fellow OLB Dee Ford is also set for free agency this year, but the Chiefs have reportedly considered the franchise tag for him. 
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:
The Athletic's Nate Taylor believes there's a good chance the Chiefs release OLB Justin Houston this offseason.
Houston just turned 30 last month and has two years left on his contract. He's due to count a team-high $21.1 million against the cap in 2019. It's doable for the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes on a rookie contract, but Houston's play has slipped in recent years from superstar status to above-average pass rusher. Injuries have played a part. Fellow OLB Dee Ford is also set for free agency this year, but the Chiefs have reportedly considered the franchise tag for him. 

Not a major shock there tbh. He's not worth that kind of hit right now. 

• Like 1

Chargers GM Tom Telesco suggested it may not be "realistic" to re-sign free agent Tyrell Williams.

Williams wants to get paid as a No. 1 receiver this offseason. With Mike Williams coming off a breakout year, it doesn't make sense for the Chargers to get in a bidding war for him. 26-year-old Williams if our fifth-ranked free-agent wideout.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Chargers GM Tom Telesco suggested it may not be "realistic" to re-sign free agent Tyrell Williams.

Williams wants to get paid as a No. 1 receiver this offseason. With Mike Williams coming off a breakout year, it doesn't make sense for the Chargers to get in a bidding war for him. 26-year-old Williams if our fifth-ranked free-agent wideout.

Solid player but he will get more than he is worth....That is usually the case for most FAs, but going to be a little too rich for us. Antonio Brown or bust iyam. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Solid player but he will get more than he is worth....That is usually the case for most FAs, but going to be a little too rich for us. Antonio Brown or bust iyam. 

Just out of curiosity, say you're the Pittsburgh GM, what is the minimum you would take for him? If I was their GM I would say a first round pick or some approximation thereof. If I'm the niners GM while I think he is a fantastic player on a rebuilding team like we are, it is too much compensation for a rebuilding team. I'd rather have Williams personally because he costs me much less assuming both options are on the table.

Two years ago Cleveland pulled that trade for Brock Osweiler effectively setting the market at 16 million for a 2nd round pick. Lets assume that Williams gets 10 mil/year which is top of the wide receiver market. To get Brown we would have to sign him to a new contract, probably resetting the WR market in the process, say 12 mil/year. Plus the draft pick capital which if I am correct is higher than the Osweiler deal. Just for the sake of argument lets call that pick worth 25 million dollars. 

My figuring creates a rediculous amount of assumptions but to me Tyrell Williams @ 10 mil > Antonio Brown @ 37 mil. Just my thinking, tear apart if you want.

• Like 1