Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

51 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

That’s assuming a lot with both OGs and Richburg. I’d rather not take that chance, and while I’d prefer not to have rookies protecting Jimmy either against proven NFL difference makers across from them trading multiple draft picks this year and limiting ourselves in our ability to add depth and talent to those positions as well as S, CB, LB, DE, TE and WR. I would like to add AB but not at he expense of assuming everyone on the team just gets better just cause. I want to keep adding talent and depth and not over pay for just one players

Yes. This team still need a lot of quality contributors. Especially on defense.

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I think this is stretching the truth a bit. We have the same players coming back as we did last year, pending Person being brought back, so in that sense it’s set. But talent wise and production wise we could use upgrades at C and atleast one OG spot. Person and Tomlinson are average at best there and in a match up against Donald and other formidable IDL players I’m betting with the other guys. Richburg, injures or not, was atrocious last year. I can’t recall how many times we use used and abused by DTs and liability in the pass and the run. 

I wasn't saying that our line is awesome or anything. I'm saying that it's set, for better or worse. We are likely going to be riding with the guys from last year with the exception of maybe Person.  Sure, center could be upgraded. It's just not going to happen this year. 

3 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I've heard that/thought that since Iupati and Boone left. Tomlinson while promising hasn't shown that yet. We have a lot of gu11ys that have shown promise but not anything sustained even over a season let alone multiple ones.

Tomlinson was fine last year. He was average. He was fine the year before too. You can do a lot worse than Tomlinson in there

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Tomlinson was fine last year. He was average. He was fine the year before too. You can do a lot worse than Tomlinson in there

I'm still guessing that we spend a mid round pick on an interior line player this year.

Just now, Ftn49 said:

I'm still guessing that we spend a mid round pick on an interior line player this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did or didn't. Depends on what we do about Person's replacement. If we don't re-sign him or sign his replacement, then yeah, we'll probably have to. If we do sign someone there, I may be a little surprised if we draft a guy in the first 3 rounds on the interior, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted one in round 4 or something. 

2 hours ago, Hulkburn said:

Any chance the 49ers bring Iupati back, or does he not fit the scheme?

He doesn't fit the scheme. He's also terribad at this point in career. He's far worse than what we actually have on the roster at this point.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we did or didn't. Depends on what we do about Person's replacement. If we don't re-sign him or sign his replacement, then yeah, we'll probably have to. If we do sign someone there, I may be a little surprised if we draft a guy in the first 3 rounds on the interior, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted one in round 4 or something. 

I could see anything from 2 to 4, that kind of seems like where the strong prospects lie. I'm crossing my fingers for Adderley in the 2nd but baring him I wouldn't have a problem with a guy in that round. We just paid Garap a butt ton of money, it makes sense we protect our investment and give him every opportunity. To me at least.

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hulkburn said:

This is the best point I’ve seen made on the situation. Steelers have the best O-Line  and red zone offence in the NFL and missed the playoffs because they didn’t run the ball and their defence didn’t create turnovers or make big stops. I’d rather fix the defence so it’s legit and trust Shanahans system on offence unless we can really get AB for a single pick of a coupe of mid round ones 

Elite defenses are harder to sustain than elite offense that keep you relevant nowadays in my opinion. Give me an elite offense with just a competent defense. Thats all I want. If you can do that, you'll be in fine shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XScutterX said:

The top 3 defenses made the playoffs this year. They are now sitting at home watching the SB just like everyone else....

The top offense is also sitting at home watching the SB. And the #3 ranked offense this year won only 5 games. I don't think it's as simple as having a great offense or a great defense. There's a lot of small things involved, and balance, and game management, etc. What a perennial contender needs is a great QB and a great head coach. Then you have to hope your defense can peak just at the right time, and you get a few lucky breaks, then you get to the superbowl. That's the thing with the Pats, their D always seems to peak in the playoffs. The Rams' D has been very suspect all year, if you ask me, and peaked in the playoffs. The Chiefs' D was horrible all year and played significantly better in the playoffs (but still not good enough to stop a guy like Brady). 

Now, don't ask me how you can manage to get your D to peak in the playoffs... I'm not paid to think. I'm paid to be canadian and charming.

• Like 2

You're right about that, the top offense is now sitting at home. It did get them to the AFC championship with a not so good defense though. The 2nd and 4th ranked offenses are also still playing. The point is the league has shifted from great def/good offenses being the way to win to good def(at creating turnovers)/great offenses.

Think about the superbowl last year. That was 2 great offenses going at it making it a high scoring game. A defensive turnover decided the outcome though. That's why the niners getting an edge rusher is so key this offseason. That doesn't mean they should ignore the offense though. A player of Brown's skill should not be available... I'm not sure I like the way he is, but I think its a risk worth taking(also Jerry vouched for him).

Edited by XScutterX

37 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

The top offense is also sitting at home watching the SB. And the #3 ranked offense this year won only 5 games. I don't think it's as simple as having a great offense or a great defense. There's a lot of small things involved, and balance, and game management, etc. What a perennial contender needs is a great QB and a great head coach. Then you have to hope your defense can peak just at the right time, and you get a few lucky breaks, then you get to the superbowl. That's the thing with the Pats, their D always seems to peak in the playoffs. The Rams' D has been very suspect all year, if you ask me, and peaked in the playoffs. The Chiefs' D was horrible all year and played significantly better in the playoffs (but still not good enough to stop a guy like Brady). 

Now, don't ask me how you can manage to get your D to peak in the playoffs... I'm not paid to think. I'm paid to be canadian and charming.

The top five offenses according to FO were:

Chiefs/Rams/Chargers/Saints/Patriots

The top five defenses according to FO were:

Bears/Bills/Ravens/Vikings/Broncos

So the final four consisted of teams ranked in the top 5 in offense. None of the top 5 defenses made it to the conference championship games and four of the top five defenses missed the playoffs. 

As for the Chiefs, their defense was solid all season long at home and the worst in the league on the road. And of course both playoff games were at home so they played pretty solid. Late in the Pats game they got torn apart but held up as well as you could expect them to beforehand.