Around the NFL II - Even NFLier

y2lamanaki

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I may be hoping more than anything here lol.

But I think he is gone. Lynch/Shanny gotta make a nice offer to the Steelers and get this done. Unfortunately the damn Colts could beat us for any player this offseason with their trade assets and cap space. Imagine Brown and Hilton with Luck???

Going to be disappointed if we don't end up with Brown to be honest. He has been giving signs of coming here for the past month and then you keep getting guys like Rice/TO come out and say Brown keeps talking about wanting to come here. Owens said Brown has asked him a few times in the offseason how the bay area is. 

So yeah, this needs to happen or else.....

Or else what? This offense will be just fine, without AB84. As long as Shanny is at the helm and he has a healthy Jimmy G, this offense will put up numbers and be rather efficient. This isn't some make or break move for this organization like we're going on a SB run or anything. The focus this off-season should be adding talent to the defensive side if the ball and plugging some holes here there on the offensive end. You improve the talent in the defense, especially on the edge, get a training staff that can keep our guys off IR and this is a playoff team. We don't need Antonio Brown. Sure would be a nice luxury to have IF his head is on straight but I'm not in the camp that believes this needs to happen because he wants to come here and we need a true #1 WR. And I'm definitely not for paying the Steelers' ransom in draft picks to get him either...

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Or else what? This offense will be just fine, without AB84. As long as Shanny is at the helm and he has a healthy Jimmy G, this offense will put up numbers and be rather efficient. This isn't some make or break move for this organization like we're going on a SB run or anything. The focus this off-season should be adding talent to the defensive side if the ball and plugging some holes here there on the offensive end. You improve the talent in the defense, especially on the edge, get a training staff that can keep our guys off IR and this is a playoff team. We don't need Antonio Brown. Sure would be a nice luxury to have IF his head is on straight but I'm not in the camp that believes this needs to happen because he wants to come here and we need a true #1 WR. And I'm definitely not for paying the Steelers' ransom in draft picks to get him either...

"just fine" won't cut it if your defense is also "just fine". 

53 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Um, or else I would be....upset? sad?

The offense will be fine, but getting Antonio Brown will take us to the next level. Right now our two starting WRs we would be relying on are injury prone. Pettis for as much as he flashed got hurt multiple times last year. Same with Goodwin who has had concussion issues. McKinnon/Breida/Juice Check/Kittle/Pettis/Brown/Goodwin is a top 5 offense. We saw in the playoffs this year what a dominant offense could do for you.

Of course we need defensive help. What does wanting Brown have to do with that? We could still focus heavily on the defensive end while getting Brown. Not sure what one has to do with the other. Not like we are struggling with cap space or anything. Could spend majority of our picks, including the 2nd overall on defense and still sign guys like ET. That's something no one is disputing. But getting Brown would be an absolute game changer to this offense. 

• Like 2

Having a good offense is appreciated and might be enough, but having a great offense is.. even better. If you have a chance to add a top 7 wideout on a team that could use more strength at wideout? take the chance.

AB may not be a model film room guy, but other than that, I don't see why he should be viewed as some cancer. Is there a strong reason to view him as some cancer? Friction built up in Pittsburgh after nine years, and he's ready for a fresh start in SF? Okay cool. Bring him in. 

Right now, we're (honestly, and imo) likely to be a wild-card team, if key players stay healthy, and the defense is out of the cellar. 

Add a WR talent like AB in this same equation, and we are then likely one of the top two seeded playoff teams.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Having a good offense is appreciated and might be enough, but having a great offense is.. even better. If you have a chance to add a top 7 wideout on a team that could use more strength at wideout? take the chance.

AB may not be a model film room guy, but other than that, I don't see why he should be viewed as some cancer. Is there a strong reason to view him as some cancer? Friction built up in Pittsburgh after nine years, and he's ready for a fresh start in SF? Okay cool. Bring him in. 

Right now, we're (honestly, and imo) likely to be a wild-card team, if key players stay healthy, and the defense is out of the cellar. 

Add a WR talent like AB in this same equation, and we are then likely one of the top two seeded playoff teams.  

I think that is a bit much... better than one or either of both new Orleans and la? Both are kinda stacked with superstars. Especially LA. Plus I think Chicago is going to be tough going forward also. I could see maybe with AB were would be a wildcard team and without not.

I think pretty much everyone would agree they would love to have him, it's more the compensation youd have to give up to get him not everyone would be willing to part with. Plus unless we fix the oline we wont have time I'll me to throw to ab

Edited by Ftn49

17 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Plus unless we fix the oline we wont have time I'll me to throw to ab

The line is pretty much set.. The only question is whether it's person at guard or someone else. Everyone else is set as I'm pretty sure Tomlinson will be ready to go

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it depends. I do think that there's going to be a floor that they are willing to accept for him. But I think the big thing is whether or not they can get a trade done at the start of the league year. The chances of him being dealt certainly go down the longer that they go without a trade. Time does have a tendency to help matters such as this. If he's not traded before the roster bonus kicks in, I don't think that he'd get traded until June when they can chop up the dead money, and by then, both sides could come to some sort of understanding. It wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever to him on the Steelers roster to start the season for me. 

I agree with everything @J-ALL-DAY said and would like to add:

IMO the longer they dont trade him the less they will get for him. They will start feeling the heat leading up to and through the draft. If they dont trade him by then, they are going to have a serious dilemma on their hands because they are lying to themselves if they think they can make this work. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

In fairness to Brown, he's never shown that he would hold out or do anything similar to what Bell did this year. He even showed up to play in week 17 and the last I've heard on anything, he hasn't officially requested a trade. I think assuming that this would be a Bell situation with missed games is a step or two too far. But he's always been a bit of a distraction in other ways, so obviously that is still an issue. 

He didnt show up to the building for 3-4 days and didnt return any phone calls. Then he shows up the day of the game, is inactive, and leaves at halftime... there is precedent from his part. He showed up because there was a game, but refused to show up to practice. What makes you think that he will show up to OTAs when he is clearly unhappy? The steelers need to realize this and trade him before there is a leak about a blow up in the facility (inevitable) or before he just doesnt show up. That would really kill their negotiating stance. 

Brown doesnt care about what the steelers get for him... he wants out. He will do whatever it takes to get out. (jimmy butler)

All things being equal, they would want to see him out of the AFC. I dont think they want to face him in the playoffs (they still think they are a playoff team who can win the SB with Ben) so I have a hard time seeing them trade him to the colts unless their offer was substantial. It just doesnt feel like a Chris Ballard (colts GM) move though, he has seemed to focus on a certain type of guy/player. A 'diva' WR just doesnt seem like something he would be willing to give up a first round pick for (or anything that would make facing him in the playoffs worth it from a value standpoint for the steelers)

Outside of the colts, Idk any other AFC team that would really make any sense. Any team that gets him should probably either A) win a lot of games or B) have a veteran QB/coach who feeds him the ball. If you dont have one or the other, I dont think he will be happy. I dont think it would make sense for anyone else besides the colts or NE as far as the AFC goes. 

Trading for brown would make sense for teams in 'win now' mode. The saints, bears make a lot of sense from a football standpoint. he would be happy in NO for sure, and Nagy has done a good job scheming up that offense, it would be an easy sell. But both teams have somewhat depleted cap space and have already traded away a lot of picks.

The packers would also make a lot of sense and they do have an extra first (meaning they might not mind trading a mid round pick while still having two first rounders) and youd think he would be happy with rodgers throwing him the ball

In the end... Brown will have some say in where he goes. youd have to be suicidal to trade for him without speaking to him and making sure he wants to play for your team. I guess the steelers could be petty and trade him somewhere else to spite him... but that just doesnt sound like the Rooney way. They are the old guard, the old guard has never had problems cutting their losses and moving on when necessary. Its just good business. 

Im the same guy who said the Raiders would inevitably have no choice but to trade Khalil Mack.. everyone said I was foolish for thinking the team had no leverage and would be forced to trade the best player their franchise has had in 20 years... look how that turned out

6 hours ago, Forge said:

The line is pretty much set.. The only question is whether it's person at guard or someone else. Everyone else is set as I'm pretty sure Tomlinson will be ready to go

I've heard that/thought that since Iupati and Boone left. Tomlinson while promising hasn't shown that yet. We have a lot of guys that have shown promise but not anything sustained even over a season let alone multiple ones.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I think this is stretching the truth a bit. We have the same players coming back as we did last year, pending Person being brought back, so in that sense it’s set. But talent wise and production wise we could use upgrades at C and atleast one OG spot. Person and Tomlinson are average at best there and in a match up against Donald and other formidable IDL players I’m betting with the other guys. Richburg, injures or not, was atrocious last year. I can’t recall how many times we use used and abused by DTs and liability in the pass and the run. 

IMO we are a wild card team at best as our defense is still missing some quality difference makers and our youth still hasn’t stepped up to their potential. Our offense has shown life and with Jimmy coming back I think we are all taking for granted and assuming the offense just gets exponentially better where I think it may not be the case. We’ll hopefully be more consistent but we still have IOL struggles, RB continuity seems troublesome and playmakers on the outside are needed. 

Thats where AB could help out tremendously paired with Kittle and Pettisbgrowing into his role with Goodwins speed as a deep threat but that’s only a single part of our issues. I think where people are expressing some hesitation is in the compensation for AB, if we give multiple draft picks for him we are taking away from our resources to fix other problem areas. A 3rd or even 2nd for AB, for me it’s a done deal. But if we start giving multiple picks for a WR who’s shown to be a headache at the very least in his 30s on a young team we could be shooting ourselves in the foot a little for the betterment of our future. I don’t see us a top seed in the NFC with him, so I’m not ready to see future resources given up for him as we are easily more than one player away from relevancy. 

Sure, we still have cap to add players through FA but I do not want to become solely dependent on bettering this team through that Avenue. Not to mention taking that route typically leads to uneven results as shown time and time again. We’ve been freely giving with our cap in recent years but that’s because we were rebuilding and had plenty of coin. That won’t always be the case if we are giving out these higher contracts to FAs and not taking advantage of rookie contracts. Good and great teams use a bit of both, FA and the draft, I don’t want to be pidgeon holed into only FA by giving away multiple picks this year no matter how great AB is. AJ Green is pretty good but he alone can’t win games for the Bengals. Julio Jones is alright and has a lot of help but the Falcons outside of one year haven’t done much. Mike Evans is a productive players and the Bucs are still picking top 5. The Steelers had AB, Juju and all their offensive playmakers and still find themselves watching the playoffs from their couches. Star WRs are nice, not completely necessary though.

Edited by Fureys49ers

27 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I've heard that/thought that since Iupati and Boone left. Tomlinson while promising hasn't shown that yet. We have a lot of guys that have shown promise but not anything sustained even over a season let alone multiple ones.

Any chance the 49ers bring Iupati back, or does he not fit the scheme?

23 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

The Steelers had AB, Juju and all their offensive playmakers and still find themselves watching the playoffs from their couches. Star WRs are nice, not completely necessary though.

This is the best point I’ve seen made on the situation. Steelers have the best O-Line  and red zone offence in the NFL and missed the playoffs because they didn’t run the ball and their defence didn’t create turnovers or make big stops. I’d rather fix the defence so it’s legit and trust Shanahans system on offence unless we can really get AB for a single pick of a coupe of mid round ones 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

But talent wise and production wise we could use upgrades at C and atleast one OG spot. Person and Tomlinson are average at best there and in a match up against Donald and other formidable IDL players I’m betting with the other guys. Richburg, injures or not, was atrocious last year. I can’t recall how many times we use used and abused by DTs and liability in the pass and the run. 

Well, Richburg was playing injured. That can't be easily dismissed when it comes to evaluating his 2018 play, or when forecasting him as healthy here in 2019. When healthy, it's easy to believe he will be superior to that of some rookie C, if that's being the consideration. I can boldly announce that I do NOT want Jimmy G being protected by some rookie C or G in 2019. It's also possible.. maybe even likely.. that these returning OGs will play better within the more familiar scheme.

Adding AB doesn't necessarily mean that attention can't be given to upgrades at IOL. There are a lot of resources available for SF, as you pointed out above. Plenty of good draft picks, and a couple of solid FAs, we're good to go. 

8 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I think pretty much everyone would agree they would love to have him

Seems to me there is at minimum.. 1.. likely 2.. that would not love to him... and that's okay. Their prerogative. 

10 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well, Richburg was playing injured. That can't be easily dismissed when it comes to evaluating his 2018 play, or when forecasting him as healthy here in 2019. When healthy, it's easy to believe he will be superior to that of some rookie C, if that's being the consideration. I can boldly announce that I do NOT want Jimmy G being protected by some rookie C or G in 2019. It's also possible.. maybe even likely.. that these returning OGs will play better within the more familiar scheme.

Adding AB doesn't necessarily mean that attention can't be given to upgrades at IOL. There are a lot of resources available for SF, as you pointed out above. Plenty of good draft picks, and a couple of solid FAs, we're good to go.

That’s assuming a lot with both OGs and Richburg. I’d rather not take that chance, and while I’d prefer not to have rookies protecting Jimmy either against proven NFL difference makers across from them trading multiple draft picks this year and limiting ourselves in our ability to add depth and talent to those positions as well as S, CB, LB, DE, TE and WR. I would like to add AB but not at he expense of assuming everyone on the team just gets better just cause. I want to keep adding talent and depth and not over pay for just one players

• Like 1