Week 3 over reaction thread

Vladimir L

21 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Meh. That excuse is used for popular QBs but not others. Wentz, Watson, Tannehill all in similar boats.

ACLs simply don't mean that much for QBs nowadays. All the relevant data shows that the vast majority of the time they come back playing at more or less the same level.

The only QB coming back this year from injury with potential long-term effects would be Luck (who got pulled from attempting a Hail Mary on Sunday).

There’s definitely some rust. Brady came back with serious issues in 2009 after his ACL injury and spent most of the season working back to firm. He really didn’t hit his 2007 level of play again until 2010.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:29 AM, Blackstar12 said:

I don't get why people are saying this are they suddenly going to field a decent defense. Next week Dolphins game will be huge.

There defense looked worse last year. This time last year they were on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history. Hell week one of this season half this board was going “oh crap the Patriots have a pass rush now”. 

Same as last year they need better communication in the secondary (way too many guys out of position) and to tighten up some run defense. The offense sustaining longer drives once Edelman is back (and also forcing Hogan back on 2nd and 3rd CB’s) will do a lot. In fact I blame the offense far more than I blame the defense. 

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Cleveland is #1 in the NFL in takeaways, and have forced 3 more turnovers than the 2nd place team (Miami/Carolina are tied). They are also +9 in turnover differential, and the next closest teams are +4.

Kind of insane when you think that that hasn't gotten them a great record. Positive turnover differential 3 straight weeks tends to mean you're 3-0 to start the season. KC got by for years with some kind of mediocre or inconsistent offenses on the virtue of that fact.

13 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Kind of insane when you think that that hasn't gotten them a great record. Positive turnover differential 3 straight weeks tends to mean you're 3-0 to start the season. KC got by for years with some kind of mediocre or inconsistent offenses on the virtue of that fact.

The Browns are a statistical anomaly every single year.

41 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We should be 3-0. The two main reasons we're not is Tyrod Taylor (scary to think he was still a huge improvement over Kizer, though) and awful special teams. Taylor refused to take any chances EXCEPT during times when he shouldn't. Such as the sideline throw to Gordon at the end of regulation vs. the Steelers which led to an INT, when all we needed was 10-15 yards up the middle to be in good FG range. Then again, our ST unit has been atrocious so it was no guarantee that we would have made that kick.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, 3rivers said:

The people that made the rule should be fired thats for sure.  Each year new changes to the game (celebrations, rules) help deteriorate my interest and it keeps getting worse. It should be unwatchable in time, it's just a matter of when.

I totally agree with you 100%.  I think that distractions like the anthem stuff is no where near as damaging to the league as the rules committee's yearly dithering and clear incompetence with regard to new rules for the past 10 years or so.  The catch rules, defenseless receiver rules, lowering the helmet, landing with body weight on the QB; all of these rules make the game completely susceptible to the whims of the referees and games are now decided on a weekly basis by those whims making the results every week highly suspect and easily predetermined by the NFL if they so desire (not quite WWE scripted of course, but the rules make it easy for the NFL to decide which teams will win or lose, whether or not that is actually happening yet). 

And none of that even deals with the utter devaluing of the stats and records we have seen over the past few years which influence less savvy fans into truly believing that guys like Mahomes and Fitzpatrick might actually be better QB's than the Marino's, Montana's, Staubach's of the world.  Just imagine if these crazy pro-pass rules had been in place in the 80's what kind of numbers Marino would've put up!

2 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

I totally agree with you 100%.  I think that distractions like the anthem stuff is no where near as damaging to the league as the rules committee's yearly dithering and clear incompetence with regard to new rules for the past 10 years or so.  The catch rules, defenseless receiver rules, lowering the helmet, landing with body weight on the QB; all of these rules make the game completely susceptible to the whims of the referees and games are now decided on a weekly basis by those whims making the results every week highly suspect and easily predetermined by the NFL if they so desire (not quite WWE scripted of course, but the rules make it easy for the NFL to decide which teams will win or lose, whether or not that is actually happening yet). 

And none of that even deals with the utter devaluing of the stats and records we have seen over the past few years which influence less savvy fans into truly believing that guys like Mahomes and Fitzpatrick might actually be better QB's than the Marino's, Montana's, Staubach's of the world.  Just imagine if these crazy pro-pass rules had been in place in the 80's what kind of numbers Marino would've put up!

Rod Woodson said Marino would have put up 10K yards in todays game, but maybe an exaggeration, so lets say 7K+ and 60+ TD's ;) , because lets remember it does get rainy and passer unfriendly in miami once in a while.

I am more ticked off about how the game is getting watered down and seeing how it will be unwatchable in the future.  

I understand the idea of player safety, but the way the league goes about it is another story.  They whined when brady got his knee hurt, but they never made QB's wear braces, why not?  

Your predetermined comment wasn't the first time I read something along those lines either.

Let me be clear that I don't personally think games are being overly determined by the NFL, I just see all these "judgement call" rules giving the NFL the option to favor one team over another if they chose to (we've seen a bit of that already with NE last year absolutely getting two wins they didn't deserve against the Steelers and the Jets).  They're not going to flat out fix games, but they can influence games (and individual refs can as well) with some of these rules.  Clearly Matthews has become a lightning rod for the officials and you can pretty much bet that anytime he touches a QB this year he's going to get a flag.

The NFL's biggest problem in all of this is that they are so damn reactionary and seem to be catering to the vocal minority in the media who already hate football (gladiator sport, blood sport, etc) while totally ignoring the real fans of the game and the players themselves.  They should just own what football is and make it clear that you are NOT going to play in this league for an extended period and NOT get hurt.  Its inevitable because the game itself is inherently risky.  The players all already understand that and have understood ever since they started playing in HS and college.  You are not going to create a risk-free game of football that is still football and that is the bottom line.

Archived