Week 3 over reaction thread

Vladimir L

9 hours ago, megatechpc said:

My biggest problem with the latest Matthews flag was the fact that it was a sack.  I can kind of sort of understand the flag if the QB has already thrown the ball (even if I still disagree with it), but calling him for roughing against Smith on Sunday was basically just the referee saying that sacking a QB is roughing.  If you make a form tackle on an upright standing QB you are 100% going to land on him every single time.  Now we have pass rushers blowing out their knees trying to avoid landing on QB's (the Miami defender that was lost for the season yesterday).  This is a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, AWFUL, SHAMEFUL, COWARDLY rule and it ought to be burned out of the rulebook with white phosphorous immediately!

The people that made the rule should be fired thats for sure.  Each year new changes to the game (celebrations, rules) help deteriorate my interest and it keeps getting worse. It should be unwatchable in time, it's just a matter of when.

23 hours ago, Danger said:

He didn't look GREAT. But keep in mind it's his first game back from major knee surgery.

Meh. That excuse is used for popular QBs but not others. Wentz, Watson, Tannehill all in similar boats.

ACLs simply don't mean that much for QBs nowadays. All the relevant data shows that the vast majority of the time they come back playing at more or less the same level.

The only QB coming back this year from injury with potential long-term effects would be Luck (who got pulled from attempting a Hail Mary on Sunday).

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Meh. That excuse is used for popular QBs but not others. Wentz, Watson, Tannehill all in similar boats.

ACLs simply don't mean that much for QBs nowadays. All the relevant data shows that the vast majority of the time they come back playing at more or less the same level.

The only QB coming back this year from injury with potential long-term effects would be Luck (who got pulled from attempting a Hail Mary on Sunday).

It's not like Tannehill had 3 more months to recover than Wentz and got preseason action. Ah wait yes. 

It was also raining yesterday. There were only two plays by Carson that I'd fault him for yesterday. 1. His INT, I don't know what he saw, he just flat out tried to force a ball to a guy who wasn't open. 2. He didn't see a runningback open in the flat on 3rd down that could have caught the pass and picked up a first down. He was too focused on what was downfield and was probably waiting for someone to get open instead of looking for his dumpoff.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

It's not like Tannehill had 3 more months to recover than Wentz and got preseason action. Ah wait yes. 

And for that reason, 3 weeks ago most of the forum would have predicted that Tannehill would look more comfortable in his return to football than both Wentz and Watson. Right?

The timetable was clear at that point... but that wasn't what was being said. The popular line was that Watson would come back guns blazing to 2017 form, Wentz would be just fine (I think he will be), and Tannehill will be uncomfortable, broken and quickly replaced.

Look at some preseason Comeback Player of the Year predictions:

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/10-nfl-comeback-player-year-candidates/443164

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/long-form-editorial/opinion-long-form-editorial/2018/07/19/2018-comeback-player-year-candidates/

Watson makes both lists, Rodgers obv, there's a Dak sighting (...), even Cam Newton and Jimmy Graham.

Expectations for QBs returning from lower-body injuries are generally optimistic. 

Just now, cddolphin said:

And for that reason, 3 weeks ago most of the forum would have predicted that Tannehill would look more comfortable in his return to football than both Wentz and Watson. Right?

The timetable was clear at that point... but that wasn't what was being said. The popular line was that Watson would come back guns blazing to 2017 form, Wentz would be just fine (I think he will be), and Tannehill will be uncomfortable, broken and quickly replaced.

Look at some preseason Comeback Player of the Year predictions:

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/10-nfl-comeback-player-year-candidates/443164

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/long-form-editorial/opinion-long-form-editorial/2018/07/19/2018-comeback-player-year-candidates/

Watson makes both lists, Rodgers obv, there's a Dak sighting (...), even Cam Newton and Jimmy Graham.

Expectations for QBs returning from lower-body injuries are generally optimistic. 

comeback player of the year 

Not comeback player of the first game or two they are playing. 

I mean at this point Tannehill's played in what? at least part of 7 games, Wentz has had one. It was still almost preseason for him.

I personally don't understand the Tannehill hate, I think it's poor judgment and just looking for someone to blame for the Dolphins struggles in recent years.

29 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Whoa, didn't know that. His injuries and surgeries have forever stolen his arm strength?

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Cleveland is #1 in the NFL in takeaways, and have forced 3 more turnovers than the 2nd place team (Miami/Carolina are tied). They are also +9 in turnover differential, and the next closest teams are +4.

Now they have a QB and what if they eventually sign Dez? 

Archived