Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

16 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Zeke is a beast.  So is Gurley.  So is Bell.  So is Kamara.  

It really just comes down to preference.  Couldn't go wrong with any of them.  It's good to see the RB position shining again.

Best post of the thread. 

7 minutes ago, El ramster said:

You keep making this a Todd Gurley thing.. why I have no idea. so if I was a Browns fan I could make my comment with zero issue?

Because it is literally the easiest way to show the flawed logic you just tried to use in a previous post. As I just mentioned though, be my guest and show some plays that Kamara missed holes on in weeks 1-3 as you don't seem to think the OL played a role in that. It shouldn't be too hard for you since you "weren't" just box score scouting..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think Melvin Gordon is pretty underrated as well. Think he has really improved lately and might be on the cusp of elite status.

No question about it, he’s always had the burst, it seems like his vision and pass catching have finally clicked and he is playing like an all pro this year 

Just now, tyler735 said:

Because it is literally the easiest way to show the flawed logic you just tried to use in a previous post. As I just mentioned though, be my guest and show some plays that Kamara missed holes on in weeks 1-3 as you don't seem to think the OL played a role in that. It shouldn't be too hard for you since you "weren't" just box score scouting..

Ok. But let’s not act like everyone expected Kamara to maintain a 5  YPC average. When in 3 games he was held under 4.. He’s not jamaal Charles orcj2k as a RB.. as a receiver he’s lethal though 

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

But he didn’t carry the load in a 4 game sample though. He had 3 meh games and one phenomenal one.. That’s a qtr sample. 

Was meh for 3 games? How do u lead the league in scrimmage yards but u were meh for 3 games, go sit down. 

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

In a worst case scenario what do you expect to happen if he sees a heavy workload? 

Obviously we've seen a small sample size this year of "workhorse" level touches and Kamara hasn't been injured and is putting up crazy production still. I just don't follow the logic, he has over 1,000 yards rushing, and 1,000 yards receiving through 20 games, which means he's touched the ball plenty to start his career and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Exactly, I u apply logic to this it either means 

A. He reached this the quickest ever meaning he is absolutely ultra productive

B. Was a works horse in order to get there as the fastest player ever 

• Like 1

Just now, El ramster said:

Clearly talking about rushing catch up bby

If u were only talking about rushing then it’s invalid, running backs are allowed to catch u know? Who’s more valuable, a RB with 100 rushing yards or 75 rush 75 receiving 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Ok. But let’s not act like everyone expected Kamara to maintain a 5  YPC average. When in 3 games he was held under 4.. He’s not jamaal Charles orcj2k as a RB.. as a receiver he’s lethal though 

I think several people that have consistently watched Kamara play expected him to have around a 5 ypc average. The Saints have another Pro Bowl RB in Mark Ingram who has averaged around 5 ypc the past few years, many Saints fans have felt Kamara is a more efficient runner in watching them both play. You are right Kamara isn't Jamaal Charles, or Chris Johnson, they both had much better top end speed, but also weren't as big or strong as Kamara, so they are different types of runners, but the end result is they were/are really explosive RB's that are a nightmare for defenders in the open field.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I think several people that have consistently watched Kamara play expected him to have around a 5 ypc average. The Saints have another Pro Bowl RB in Mark Ingram who has averaged around 5 ypc the past few years, many Saints fans have felt Kamara is a more efficient runner in watching them both play. You are right Kamara isn't Jamaal Charles, or Chris Johnson, they both had much better top end speed, but also weren't as big or strong as Kamara, so they are different types of runners, but the end result is they were/are really explosive RB's that are a nightmare for defenders in the open field.

I could deff get behind that.. But I feels like there’s a double standard.. 

Weeks 1-3.. No running lanes.. Defenses are keying on him. but as a WR DOE!! 

Week 4.. Wow Kamara is a beast. 4.9 scrubs what’s Gurleys YPC oh yeah below Kamara oh yeah. 

But but last Years CMC was destroyed for being a poor runner despite being a elite pass catcher for Cam.. it’s the small things I see. Fairness and equality it’s 2018 baby. ?

15 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I could deff get behind that.. But I feels like there’s a double standard.. 

Weeks 1-3.. No running lanes.. Defenses are keying on him. but as a WR DOE!! 

Week 4.. Wow Kamara is a beast. 4.9 scrubs what’s Gurleys YPC oh yeah below Kamara oh yeah. 

But but last Years CMC was destroyed for being a poor runner despite being a elite pass catcher for Cam.. it’s the small things I see. Fairness and equality it’s 2018 baby. ?

I don't think many people are saying now that Kamara has a higher YPC he is a better runner than Gurley. I think both are elite talents. It will be interesting to see how each of them continues to develop (Kamara is still 23, and Gurley is still only 24) as they are part of an insane crop of young talented RB's in the NFL.

I would note that regarding Christian McCaffrey I have been one of, if not, his biggest advocates on this forum. This dates from his Stanford days until now even despite him unfortunately ending up on the Panthers lol. I think McCaffrey has the talent to be a great RB as well.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

You’re gonna tell me that his Oline was poor weeks 1-3.. But against the Giants it was all Kamara making people miss. That’s what I’ve read so far. Everything is all Kamara. 

If you saw Kamara play, which you clearly didn’t...you’d see him consistently breaking tackles and turning something out of nothing. That is why you play 16 games in a season...the stats will find a way to adjust toward the mean. If you’re going to argue against Kamara, the least you could do is base your opinions on something more than a stat-line. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

In a worst case scenario what do you expect to happen if he sees a heavy workload? 

Obviously we've seen a small sample size this year of "workhorse" level touches and Kamara hasn't been injured and is putting up crazy production still. I just don't follow the logic, he has over 1,000 yards rushing, and 1,000 yards receiving through 20 games, which means he's touched the ball plenty to start his career and has shown no signs of slowing down.

You can’t use the first 4 games of this season as a sample size. No one thinks he’d wind down after a couple games of ~15 carries. It’s after a season’s worth of 18-20 carries. Diminishing the sample size changes everything. 

And also touches =/= carries. Especially if we’re talking about a “work horse running back” or discussing durability.

We can go back and forth all day, only one of us is assuming they’d know what would happen though. Fact of the matter is that he hasn’t done it yet.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You can’t use the first 4 games of this season as a sample size. No one thinks he’d wind down after a couple games of ~15 carries. It’s after a season’s worth of 18-20 carries. Diminishing the sample size changes everything. 

And also touches =/= carries. Especially if we’re talking about a “work horse running back” or discussing durability.

We can go back and forth all day, only one of us is assuming they’d know what would happen though. Fact of the matter is that he hasn’t done it yet.

I'm just going to copy this from a previous post and see if you can offer an adequate response:

Are there any examples of young Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber RB's not being able to effectively handle more carries?

At this point, Alvin Kamara has touched the ball 292 in 20 games, or about 15 times per game. I just don't know what more people are waiting for, and if there are any reasonable examples of a similarly talented player failing to take over a larger workload when given the opportunity. If there are examples of this that I'm missing I'm curious to see, but I just don't get the logic at this point until I see some examples of this even being a thing. I know that it has been talked about all the time with undersized RB's for years on this forum, but I don't recall anyone citing an examples of this actually being something that has effected a talented player like this. Just going off memory I recall similar comments regarding guys like Jamaal Charles, Lesean McCoy, and Chris Johnson.