Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:
5 minutes ago, ET80 said:
7 minutes ago, ET80 said:
1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Not a dumb question. If you can't find a player in NFL history at RB who has had comparable early success to Kamara and hasn't been able to continue their success then it isn't a valid complaint against Kamara

Larry Johnson with Kansas City comes to mind. Ran like gangbusters his first two seasons as a starter (2005, 2006) then completely cratered out. 

Steve Slaton after his rookie year in Houston. Dominick Davis, Houston. 

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams in Tampa. Ronnie Brown in Miami. 

Julius Jones, Dallas.

Unless I am missing some glaring qualifier, this isn't that hard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

You're welcome glad I could help you play the victim card. You haven't been able to find anyone with any of the criteria I've mentioned since it would be remarkably rare for someone playing at the level Kamara has been to just stop producing at a high level.

Are you intentionally changing the discussion, or is this whole thing just that hard for you? 

Never said his production would “just stop”. 

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Julius Jones, Dallas.

Incoming “none of those guys were as good as Kamara”.

Regression to the mean doesn’t effect good players, bruh.

Edited by Yin-Yang

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:
19 minutes ago, ET80 said:
21 minutes ago, ET80 said:
23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not a dumb question. If you can't find a player in NFL history at RB who has had comparable early success to Kamara and hasn't been able to continue their success then it isn't a valid complaint against Kamara

Larry Johnson with Kansas City comes to mind. Ran like gangbusters his first two seasons as a starter (2005, 2006) then completely cratered out. 

Julius Jones, Dallas.

Olandis Gary, Denver. Mike Anderson, Denver. Reuben Droughns, Denver.

(Denver was actually known for this from 1999-2003).

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

there was another guy from denver that lit it up for a year or two, think he went to UT but his name is escaping me.

Not to put all your digging to waste, but I believe he is referring to the idea that Kamara wouldn't be able to handle a larger workload? So he's asking about RBs who saw a natural increase in carries as their career progressed, but "couldn't handle it."

Otherwise, yeah, there are probably 100+ examples of RBs whose career peaked in year 1 or 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:
19 minutes ago, ET80 said:
23 minutes ago, ET80 said:
25 minutes ago, ET80 said:
27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Julius Jones, Dallas.

Laurence Maroney, New England. Marion Barber III, Dallas. Deshaun Foster, Carolina. Eddie Lacy, Green Bay.

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not to put all your digging to waste, but I believe he is referring to the idea that Kamara wouldn't be able to handle a larger workload? So he's asking about RBs who saw a natural increase in carries as their career progressed, but "couldn't handle it."

Otherwise, yeah, there are probably 100+ examples of RBs whose career peaked in year 1 or 2.

Ding ding ding

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That might be the qualifier I was asking about, but most follow the same trajectory, save for Larry Johnson (who was throw headfirst into the deep end with 380+ carries as a starter).  

Pretty much every name on the list had a low-to-moderate workload - don't think any of them crossed the 300 carry mark when they had their "breakout" season.

. If you can't find a player in NFL history at RB who has had comparable early success to Kamara and hasn't been able to continue their success then it isn't a valid complaint against Kamara.

Qualifications from tyler... seems like all those examples are super relevant.

• Like 1

Just for laughs:

Slaton: 268

Davis-Williams: 238

Cadillac: 290 (ok, not a good comp)

Brown: 207 (think we got one here)

Jones: 197 (got another here)

Gary: 276 

Anderson: 297 (not a good comp)

Droughns: 275

Maroney: 175 (got one)

Barber III: 138 (or, 18 more carries than Kamara last season).

Foster: 113

Lacy: 284

So - let's focus on the career trajectories of Ronnie Brown, Julius Jones, Marion Barber III and Laurence Maroney.

How about I just say right now Gurley and bell are THE guys because they have been productive and been work horses and played longer but I’ll also add I believe Kamara has more potential than both. It’s an opinion statement so it can’t really be argued. Good talk everyone. 

And I have a question about Gurley, and it’s not a slight to him, he’s one of my favorite backs and I love watching him and thought he was the best to come out since AP, he can do it all, but seriously why was he so bad 2 years ago? Jeff Fisher? 

4 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

And I have a question about Gurley, and it’s not a slight to him, he’s one of my favorite backs and I love watching him and thought he was the best to come out since AP, he can do it all, but seriously why was he so bad 2 years ago? Jeff Fisher? 

Why was he so great his rookie year? 

Second year idiot fisher decided to hire scot boras who had no credentials to be a OC. 

Again, wth are saint fans always bringing up Gurley? Is this how the whole Tom

Brady vs Manning vs Rodgers thing is lol? 

If there’s a running back that could beast in any system it’s Sjax. Seriously, go look at the lines

he was running behind. Guys who were out of the league in 2-3 years were blocking for that man. Lol. Best RB since Ap that I’ve seen the last 15-17 years... What he did with zero talent on those really bad Rams teams is till this day insane.. It’s why the whole line thing really is a meh point.. But A really proven fact also. Just certain special HBs could over come.. What he did as a runner and catcher was special...