Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

58 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

A players value to their respective team has nothing to do with my ranking. I base it on the individual. I could care less what Zeke means to the Cowboys or what Kamara means to the Saints.

Why would it not? This is not the QB position where it can more easily be discounted because of how many teams are dependent on their QB. But for a skill position player to be the lynch pin of an entire offense why would you not weigh that in? Hypothetically if you're team can move on without missing much of a beat not having you in there, you don't think it could be argued that your talent was not that special to begin with? I mean if Matt Cassel can have such a career year with the Patriots to even warrant the trade for him yet did little to nothing after that. How much of his success that year can be attributed to just him putting up those stats?

31 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What? Elite run defenses can contain any HB in the running game.

It can definitely be argued. But it's probably not worth the time.

He also shredded the eagles last year and they were an elite run stopping unit. FUGGAZI

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Why would it not? This is not the QB position where it can more easily be discounted because of how many teams are dependent on their QB. But for a skill position player to be the lynch pin of an entire offense why would you not weigh that in? Hypothetically if you're team can move on without missing much of a beat not having you in there, you don't think it could be argued that your talent was not that special to begin with? I mean if Matt Cassel can have such a career year with the Patriots to even warrant the trade for him yet did little to nothing after that. How much of his success that year can be attributed to just him putting up those stats?

I just told you how my ranking works. I rank based on the individual talent. I’m not interested in the value to their teams. I equal the playing field by eliminating those variables. 

You can form your rankings by whatever criteria you want. But don’t disregard mine as invalid and call it “the very worst argument in this thread”. It’s completely sensible.

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I just told you how my ranking works. I rank based on the individual talent. I’m not interested in the value to their teams. I equal the playing field by eliminating those variables. 

You can form your rankings by whatever criteria you want. But don’t disregard mine as invalid and call it “the very worst argument in this thread”. It’s completely sensible.

Except it is, especially when a number of teams have much success when involving a successful rushing attack. Such as demonstrated by the Cowboys in 2016 or 2014 how valuable the run game still is.

You say not being more involved in the passing game is a knock against a RB when the main point of a RB is to rush the ball. Just because he is not utilized more as a scat back is no knock against the player. That's like holding Tom Brady's lack of a duel threat approach against him as the best QB in the league because in the modern game a QB who can take off for first downs and buy extra time in the pocket is more "accounted for" with most of the NFL teams having them now.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Except it is, especially when a number of teams have much success when involving a successful rushing attack. Such as demonstrated by the Cowboys in 2016 or 2014 how valuable the run game still is.

You say not being more involved in the passing game is a knock against a RB when the main point of a RB is to rush the ball. Just because he is not utilized more as a scat back is no knock against the player. That's like holding Tom Brady's lack of a duel threat approach against him as the best QB in the league because in the modern game a QB who can take off for first downs and buy extra time in the pocket is more "accounted for" with most of the NFL teams having them now.

Refer to my previous posts. I can see this is going nowhere. Good day, sir.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Your entire argument doesn't make sense. Gurley is on his level as a passing-game HB.

Yeah, Gurley is a great pass catcher.  His 12.43 yards/catch and 9.18 yards/target since McVay showed up is just insane for an RB that also carries the ball as much as he does.

• Like 2

Zeke is probably the most talented runner in the league, he does benefit from an exceptional oline but still as a pure a pure runner he’s great. But I would still take Gurley, Bell, Kamara, and David Johnson over him for all purpose backs. 

Edited by GamedayGuru

With running back careers being so short, the title of best RB in the league for me is always more of a fluid, season-to-season thing than, say, QB, where's it's been Brady and Rodgers and Manning for 10 years. So I'll say yes - AK is the best running back in football right now. 

• Like 2

For those wondering, Kamara is on pace for:

2,444 total yards, 24 TDs, and 140 receptions

thats nuts. 

His production should dip a little when Ingram gets back, but I honestly could see an uptick in long runs and an even increased load through the receiving game. 

He’s essentially the PPR baby Jesus. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

For those wondering, Kamara is on pace for:

2,444 total yards, 24 TDs, and 140 receptions

thats nuts. 

His production should dip a little when Ingram gets back, but I honestly could see an uptick in long runs and an even increased load through the receiving game. 

He’s essentially the PPR baby Jesus. 

So David Johnson numbers and somehow Kamara is better. And we all know those numbers will dip. 

30 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

"On Pace" is the most meaningless phrase in football.

Yep, I remember last season Demarcus Lawrence was on pace for like over 30 sacks. And Zeke at one point in his rookie season was on pace for like 2700 yards rushing.

The only reason people are not willing to accept Alvin Kamara as the best RB in the league is because he was drafted in the 3rd round and had an unremarkable college career.

If Saquon Barkley or Leonard Fournette had Kamara's production in their first 20 games, people would be calling them not just the best RB in the NFL but a future Hall of Famer as well.  

In this new NFL that is all about passing, Alvin Kamara is EASILY the best RB in the league and honestly its not even close.  No RB has as much impact on the game for his team as Alvin.  His draft position is the only reason people are even debating this. 

• Like 1