Does your team have a specific weakness?

Hunter2_1

We can't cover a deep ball to save our lives.

Well, we can't cover any ball actually.  We still haven't figured out this whole thing about keeping the opponent out of the end zone.   A team's punter can essentially skip the flight and take a week off when they play us.

Coverage on defense in the middle of the field. Our LBs and Ss have both struggled mightily in coverage so far, particularly in zone coverage when they're having to pass off players/routes between them. Everything from shallow crossers and slants from the slot to deep posts from TEs and WRs. As bad as we've been against the pass, CBs really haven't been the biggest issue. Fuller has played well, Scandrick has rebounded after a bad week 1, and Nelson is good enough, Scandrick just needs kept away from anyone terribly fast. But our man coverage has been okay and we've been solid on the perimeter. It's RBs, TEs, and slot receivers, especially when we go zone, that kill us. Gordon and Ekeler in week 1, James and Juju week 2, and Kittle week 3, have been the guys to actually beat us.

Some of it is definitely communication. Losing DJ was very manageable from a physical perspective, as he wasn't himself last year as a player, but definitely rough from a leadership perspective, and when you add Berry not playing yet it compounds things. So our ILBs and Ss have been a mix of Hitchens (new), Ragland, Smith (inexperienced), Parker (resigned last minute), Murray (inexperienced), and Watts (rookie) so there's no one that's really holding everyone together and directing traffic. So hand off from zone to zone have been terrible. A lot of guys just winding up uncovered because the ILB on the defense's left doesn't notice the LWR crossing into his zone. I'm hoping Berry and Sorensen returning eventually will fix this, but that's optimistic.

Part of me thinks we'd be better off going more man coverage heavy with the LBs and Ss, but we really only have two safeties that the coaches seem comfortable giving playing time to, and while Hitchens could handle some guys, he's not your ideal man coverage linebacker, and Ragland isn't suited to man coverage at all, so the depth and athleticism isn't there to run that until we get back to 5 healthy safeties and we can use Berry and Sorensen and light linebackers occasionally again.

46 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Coverage on defense in the middle of the field. Our LBs and Ss have both struggled mightily in coverage so far, particularly in zone coverage when they're having to pass off players/routes between them. Everything from shallow crossers and slants from the slot to deep posts from TEs and WRs. As bad as we've been against the pass, CBs really haven't been the biggest issue. Fuller has played well, Scandrick has rebounded after a bad week 1, and Nelson is good enough, Scandrick just needs kept away from anyone terribly fast. But our man coverage has been okay and we've been solid on the perimeter. It's RBs, TEs, and slot receivers, especially when we go zone, that kill us. Gordon and Ekeler in week 1, James and Juju week 2, and Kittle week 3, have been the guys to actually beat us.

Some of it is definitely communication. Losing DJ was very manageable from a physical perspective, as he wasn't himself last year as a player, but definitely rough from a leadership perspective, and when you add Berry not playing yet it compounds things. So our ILBs and Ss have been a mix of Hitchens (new), Ragland, Smith (inexperienced), Parker (resigned last minute), Murray (inexperienced), and Watts (rookie) so there's no one that's really holding everyone together and directing traffic. So hand off from zone to zone have been terrible. A lot of guys just winding up uncovered because the ILB on the defense's left doesn't notice the LWR crossing into his zone. I'm hoping Berry and Sorensen returning eventually will fix this, but that's optimistic.

Part of me thinks we'd be better off going more man coverage heavy with the LBs and Ss, but we really only have two safeties that the coaches seem comfortable giving playing time to, and while Hitchens could handle some guys, he's not your ideal man coverage linebacker, and Ragland isn't suited to man coverage at all, so the depth and athleticism isn't there to run that until we get back to 5 healthy safeties and we can use Berry and Sorensen and light linebackers occasionally again.

Looks like our teams are both well-matched to face the others' weakness. We can't cover crossing, and KC can't cover middle (as you say) where NE operates. How do you see our game going? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

49ers

Weaknesses - 

Health

Quarterback play

Sacking the other teams quarterback

Secondary play by anyone named something other than Richard Sherman. 

Making tackles (lead the league in missed tackles) 

Making tough catches. 

It's going well then...?

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It's going well then...?

We could have overcome all that, but then we are also one of the most undisciplined teams in football to boot. We are tied for fourth most penalties per game at nearly 9. That's the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Looks like our teams are both well-matched to face the others' weakness. We can't cover crossing, and KC can't cover middle (as you say) where NE operates. How do you see our game going? 

I'd be substantially more confident against New England with Berry in the lineup. We've done well against Gronk in recent years mostly by virtue of having an OLB chip him en route to rushing the passer, while Berry mans up against him after that. Gronk has had success against us when we've had to play zone or put a CB on him. James White would definitely get his either way, but if we have Berry to restrict Gronk and Brady not having much at WR, I really wouldn't be worried. And no offense, but nothing about your D worries me against our offense.

On the flip side, if we get to that matchup, you guys have Edelman back from suspension, but we're still without Berry and Sorensen due to injury, it's going to be a shootout. Much like our season has gone so far, it'd be us giving up chunk plays to the slot, TE, and RB and failing to get off the field, while hoping that our O can just overwhelm the D enough to outpace them. Which is possible with out firepower, but not an ideal way to play week to week.

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'd be substantially more confident against New England with Berry in the lineup. We've done well against Gronk in recent years mostly by virtue of having an OLB chip him en route to rushing the passer, while Berry mans up against him after that. Gronk has had success against us when we've had to play zone or put a CB on him. James White would definitely get his either way, but if we have Berry to restrict Gronk and Brady not having much at WR, I really wouldn't be worried. And no offense, but nothing about your D worries me against our offense.

On the flip side, if we get to that matchup, you guys have Edelman back from suspension, but we're still without Berry and Sorensen due to injury, it's going to be a shootout. Much like our season has gone so far, it'd be us giving up chunk plays to the slot, TE, and RB and failing to get off the field, while hoping that our O can just overwhelm the D enough to outpace them. Which is possible with out firepower, but not an ideal way to play week to week.

Agree with all this. Today has given me more hope for future games, but there's still issues especially at LB. The thought of Hill across the middle gives me fits.

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Defense. Specifically stopping the pass. Which we seem content with because of the way we drop everyone so deep into zone that we allow everything underneath to be complete to the tune of allowing almost 80% of the passes thrown against us to be completed.

5 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's tough to force turnovers when we're willingly allowing those short passes on every snap. We don't even contest them. We just swarm to try and stop forward progress.

To the tune of 360 ypg, the second highest QBR, and 78% completions. With one INT.

Like I said...

Archived